Freezing and black squares...everywhere!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Freezing and black squares...everywhere!

Unread postby Orfinn » 06 Jul 2007, 16:12

Ok now Im pretty irritated over a problem that lately have caused me restarting my computer too many times. Im TRYING to enjoy the HoF campaigns. But on the creature info screen (with animation) sometimes during battles. I see black sqaures flickering, appearing and disappearing, like they were set in a square grid kinda way. I cant f.example stay to long on the screens with creature info, the squares will pop up and shortly derafter the game will freeze and often ctrl+alt+delete or alt+F4 wont work at all!

I have worries that it may be my computer going valhalla or the graphics card...I dont really stand the thought of dragging my freaking PC out and check, too lazy, so I wonder besides that my graphic card (which is a Geforce FX Ultra 6800) which may be dusty etc.. That there could be something with the disc instead, there are some scrathes..thanks to the friendly cd map I have *sigh*
Also could it be a heat problem?

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 06 Jul 2007, 18:03

I don't suspect it to be a heat problem, because your game would keep crashing regardless, and not on specific screens.
Neither do I think the CD matters; as far as I know you only need it to actually start the game, and you could probably remove it once you're playing (though this might give an error, never tried it). Regardless, there are no-cd patches out there, which makes me believe the CD isn't crucial to playing and therefor won't make your game crash.

The problem you're describing sounds a lot like one I had a few years back, and in my case it appeared that my videocard was toasted.

As for now I can only suggest you experiment a bit before you go and screw open your pc... try the game on other pc's, play other games with your current videocard, see what lower graphics settings do, etc. Another thing that might help is trying to make a screenshot of the situation; if it appears completly flawless while you were sure there were black spots on your screen, it's most likely a videocard or even monitor problem (unless I'm mistaken about the way screenshots work hardware/software-wise).

Oh, and running an anti-spyware scan helps. You never know what might pop up.

Regardless, good luck, might be easier for us (me?) to help you if you've got more information on all that.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 06 Jul 2007, 20:23

Yeah. Thanks alot dude!
I think it could be my graph, card but Im gonna try your ideas ASAP to be sure.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 07 Jul 2007, 17:52

Ok now Guild Wars, Homm 5 and Sid Meiers all have the same problemo, well in Pirates there are white squares but anyway... Gotta open my cabin ASAP. Man this cant be true :(

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 07 Jul 2007, 23:36

Orfinn wrote:Ok now Guild Wars, Homm 5 and Sid Meiers all have the same problemo, well in Pirates there are white squares but anyway... Gotta open my cabin ASAP. Man this cant be true :(
Alright, your graphics card is probably toast... Sorry man :(

Good luck fixing it all up!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 08 Jul 2007, 15:26

Maybe....I checked the temperature at start. it showed 75, ambient ca 63. Then after playing H5 it showed 85! I bet it was around 90 while I was playing 8| I may bother myself to check if not the fan have bean beaten by dust, also the fan on my graphics card. Im soon done with the HoF campaign, so it have to survive!

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 08 Jul 2007, 18:40

Hmm, that sounds quite similar to the problem I mentioned I had earlier. The cooler on my video card stopped working, eventually frying my video card. Checking those 2 fans might indeed be a very good idea...

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 08 Jul 2007, 18:41

Do you use overclocking? Because I, with GeForce 6200, don't use it and enjoy HoF :)

The thing is that the temperature is too high. At start I have around 30 and after playing H5 it shows around 40. (it's 27 in my room). Nothing compared to your 85, isn't it? :D
Hide, listen, watch, learn… And when the time is right, strike from the shadow.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 09 Jul 2007, 11:38

No, no overclocking for me :)

Now that sounds like a cool heaven in comparison to mine.
But right now for me its ca 61 degrees...hmm since my sisters jump on the pc almost every morning to play worms 3d, no wonder I get to a heated computer to play H5 after they are finished ;|

Return to “Heroes V-VI”