How to win Hot Seat games, while not losing friends

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Magepunk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

How to win Hot Seat games, while not losing friends

Unread postby Magepunk » 26 Jun 2007, 07:49

Hot Seat is my fav way of playing TBS games. I've played almost any TBS game there is, this way. (curse you, master of orion, master of magic and alpha centauri!) I live in a flat, together with some friends of mine, and we have a nice big couch there, with a pc, right next to it, and a plasma monitor in front of the couch, hanging by the wall. We use all of those luxuries to play HoF 2.1 in a 4-player random castle free-for-all almost every evening.

Hot seat differs from normal multiplayer with the following things: 1. It's much more diplomatically oriented, meaning that more out-of-game factors take place during a hot seat game. 2. Unless specified otherwise, all turns will be seen by other players. 3. Usually, the game will be more fun, and much faster that the usual internet games.

The Diplomatical side is also important, because we don't want to lose our friends while beating them to pulp. Why beating them to pulp is important? Well, we play heroes on hard cash. Every one tosses in 10 euros, and the winner takes all. And the loser has to buy beer for the next time when we play.

What you mostly have to remember is, that people who don't read internet sites dedicated to homm5 are addicted to that impossible-to-get-in-a-normal-game-ultimate-skill. They all do. That's why they waste their skills, and are predictable. This also enables you some options, for example, seeing that Ossir levelupping, and going for the ultimate, then gaining some brain, and trying to get destructive magic for his imbue arrow, allows you to give some "nice" advices. "No, why should you pick basic destructive magic? Pick stand your ground instead, you need it for your ultimate skill!" That way, you sound nice, and everyone's sattisfied. He, for getting closer to that ultimate skill. (Which he'll never accquire, and even if he does, you'll have more balanced skills) And you, for him, not being able to cast that imbued ice bolt - to chain lightning - to implosion.

Other important thing is, that in Hot Seat, your resources aren't limited to in-game resources. "Hmm...so you want that last beer that i'm holding? That'll cost you 5 sulfur." "Hey, i'll give you 3 cigarettes if you promise to not to take that alchemist's lab!"

More on resources - it's always better to trade with other players that using marketplace. Firstly, you can sell them that excess wood for 200gp a piece, secondly, by trading them something, you make yourself more valuable in your eyes, so they'll be less inclined to create a 3-player alliance to wipe the floor with you.

One more thing that i've noticed. In Magic:The Gathering terminology, it's called overextending. Taking more than you can hold. Some guys just want to grab that neutral castle, ASAP. That is good, right? Well, yes, if you have the resources to develop that castle. Basically, by seeing where he's going, and by knowing what resources the castle will need to develop, you can try to trade in those resources from him, and other players, to stop him from developing military, and forcing him to develop economics. And then, in a week or so, waltz in into that poorly defended, but economically boosted castle, quickly raise the military units, and enjoy the benefits of economical playing.

Other thing that you must remember is not to piss other players off with your actions - over the internet that might be not important, but here, if you piss them off, in the next game they unite and bash you to a bloody pulp. Reading Sun Tzu's "Art of War" and Machiavelli's "Prince" also helps. Actually reading those help you do everything, but HoMM hot seat has the most direct application of those.

I hope that this article was helpful, and that you'll beat those n00bs into a bloody pulp.

GoldLeader.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 26 Jun 2007, 08:31

Lol the fact that these work on your buddies does not mean they work on others as well :) I have played hotseat myself and for extended periods with H3 and H4 but there were few rules. The marketplace thingy was fun but we'd only exchange resources not cigarettes :D None smoked anyway! Sometimes I was payed to build mage guild 2 in a little built town so that my opponent could come and learn the spell, then the town was mine again.And about alliances it could go either way because it was everyone for himself so they were easy to make or break in a game :)
However giving false advice is cheap and not something I'd ever try. The point is to help your opponent reach you, not make your game easier - where's the fun in that?
Also be sure that when they get to learn some things you'll lose your credibility.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 26 Jun 2007, 11:48

I played a hotseat game yesterday and got 5 gems by performing a popular sexual act on a friend of mine.

Ya, RLY!!
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 26 Jun 2007, 12:01

YAY!
- Metathron

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 26 Jun 2007, 13:52

Romanov77 wrote:I played a hotseat game yesterday and got 5 gems by performing a popular sexual act on a friend of mine.

Ya, RLY!!
Gee I need to find more friends that play heroes.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 26 Jun 2007, 15:17

Romanov77 wrote:I played a hotseat game yesterday and got 5 gems by performing a popular sexual act on a friend of mine.
A backrub?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 26 Jun 2007, 16:05

Hmm I've heard girls play heroes too :devious:
- Metathron

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 26 Jun 2007, 16:27

Is it possible to be on the same team in Heroes 5 during Hotseat? If so, then I could get my friend to play it. It's very rare he'll want to play a game where it's me vs. him.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 26 Jun 2007, 17:28

Angelspit wrote:
A backrub?
Worse...

I....I needed the gems...I needed Cloud Temple *start crying in girlish way*
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 26 Jun 2007, 17:29

Pats Romanov77 on the back "There there, there there."

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 26 Jun 2007, 18:24

Used to play hotseat with my sister alot on heroes 3
man did I beat her :D
se wasn't bad but always went instand capitol, so in the start she had suxy army and had a hard time getting those mines
I always did the exact opposite, go instand roc and thunderbird on monday week 2, gaining exp without losses :-D
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 27 Jun 2007, 02:29

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Is it possible to be on the same team in Heroes 5 during Hotseat? If so, then I could get my friend to play it. It's very rare he'll want to play a game where it's me vs. him.
It sure is. You just go to multiplayer and then hot seat. The problem is finding allied maps. There is one called allies in the base game, and then you have to download fan maps, or fan modified nival maps to play teams on other maps.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Jun 2007, 02:30

Thanks Phoenix. Never thought of trying the allied maps. :wall:

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 27 Jun 2007, 03:43

Playing Heroes on Hotseat against your friends or family members is kinda like playing Monopoly. Some people take their gaming very seriously. Mostly I play Allies when I do play Hotseat so there won't be any winners or losers. Just my little contribution to keeping the peace …although a backrub now and then helps too. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Magepunk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Magepunk » 27 Jun 2007, 08:10

Allied victory earns less cash! :D

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Jun 2007, 10:53

Wow you really care about your friends :-D
- Metathron

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Jun 2007, 12:47

HodgePodge wrote:Playing Heroes on Hotseat against your friends or family members is kinda like playing Monopoly. Some people take their gaming very seriously. Mostly I play Allies when I do play Hotseat so there won't be any winners or losers. Just my little contribution to keeping the peace …although a backrub now and then helps too. :)
That's what I have to do with my best friend because he won't bother playing against me because he knows I'll crush him. :devil:

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 27 Jun 2007, 13:36

Yeah, I'm with Hodepodge on this one. This thread has inspired me to try some allies playing.

Magepunk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Magepunk » 27 Jun 2007, 13:41

yay! I've inspired someone!

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 27 Jun 2007, 13:48

That's what I have to do with my best friend because he won't bother playing against me because he knows I'll crush him. devil
Go easy on him, pretend that you are pathetic looser :devious: Give him some hope and then crush him like a bug :devil: He`ll even think that he had a chance to win :devious:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”