Academy Alternative Upgrades Released - What do you think?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Academy Alternative Upgrades Released - What do you think?

Unread postby Corribus » 12 Jun 2007, 16:44

Gremlin Saboteur - Shooter, Sabotage

Marble Gargoyle - Flying, Elemental, Enraged, Elemental Aura, Elemental Vulnerability

Obsidian Golem - Mechanical, Obsidian Sphere, Destructive Magnetism

Combat Mage - Shooter, No Range Penalty, Caster (Fist Of Rage, Cleansing), Magic Aura

Djinn Vizier - Large Creature, Flyer, Player Of Chance

Rakshasa Kshatri - Large Creature, Rush, Tornado

Storm Lord - Large Creature, Ranged, Immunity To Mind Spells, No Melee Penalty, Storm Call
Last edited by Corribus on 12 Jun 2007, 16:56, edited 3 times in total.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

captain of haven 3
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby captain of haven 3 » 12 Jun 2007, 16:48

they are ok

i like the new rashaka

everything has a gold wizard feeling

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 12 Jun 2007, 16:48

Infiltrator wrote:The rakshasa princess is.. male?
Odd looking princess. Maybe it's really spoiled or something.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 12 Jun 2007, 16:58

IMO they are the best looking alternates so far. Gremlins look spectacular, Mages, Gargoyles, Rakshasas and Djinns are making quite a good impression themselves.

Liked some of the new atributes as well: a faster and more offensive rakshasa, more attack for the gremlins and mages.

The abilities as they are still do not convince me though. Specialy the luck-game of the Djinns.
Last edited by Wolfsburg on 12 Jun 2007, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 12 Jun 2007, 17:00

I think the Gremlins look the best, too. They look like something out a steampunk anime movie.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 12 Jun 2007, 17:02

I was thinking the same thing.

I don't wish to steal your thunder or anything Corribus, but the study may benefit more by waiting for the expansion to be released.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 12 Jun 2007, 17:06

IMO they are the best looking alternates so far
Same opinion here. :)
Hide, listen, watch, learn… And when the time is right, strike from the shadow.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 12 Jun 2007, 17:14

Ahahaha my gremlins will disable yor cataput, you expert warmachine hero! :D
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 12 Jun 2007, 17:15

I'm not a big fan of the name "Storm Lord", and it looks out of place compared with the others...The rest are very good though, especially the Rakshasa..

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 12 Jun 2007, 17:19

Combat mage sounds strange - what happened to battlemage? Or was that a translation error?

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 12 Jun 2007, 17:20

Ahahaha my gremlins will disable yor cataput, you expert warmachine hero!
Given the 2600 Hit Points of the Catapult with Expert War Machines + Catapult ability, you'll need at least 434 Gremlins to do it :(

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Jun 2007, 17:25

Apocalypse wrote:
Ahahaha my gremlins will disable yor cataput, you expert warmachine hero!
Given the 2600 Hit Points of the Catapult with Expert War Machines + Catapult ability, you'll need at least 434 Gremlins to do it :(
Did you include a hit point increasing mini-artifact?

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 12 Jun 2007, 17:26

Hmm... no :D Damn, I forgot!

Agnus Dei
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Agnus Dei » 12 Jun 2007, 18:30

Hm, chocolate flavoured Academy... Tasty.
At least the previous Djinns had necks, theese ones don't.
I support Battle Mage initiative. And if this Storm Lord is a mellee, I'll be sticking to Titans, thank you. They are wierd anyway.
Love the Gremlins and Mortal Combat Mages.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 12 Jun 2007, 18:33

The Storm Lord's special will have to be pretty damn good to make me think about chosing it over a titan.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Jun 2007, 18:42

Corribus wrote:The Storm Lord's special will have to be pretty damn good to make me think about chosing it over a titan.
Their stats and abilities are identical with the special ability being the sole exception between the two units.

I think it's more of a situational choice, how often do you use call lightning? How often will you use cloud ability? Maybe it's nice at the very start of the battle, but usually a titan/storm lord has better things to do than use it's special ability.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 12 Jun 2007, 19:16

They should make them more different than that, I think.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 12 Jun 2007, 19:33

Yeah I thought so myself but after seeing them in a bigger pic I think that their cloud/gas animation may look pretty good on its own.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

watcher83
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby watcher83 » 12 Jun 2007, 20:35

I like gremlin saboteur, obsidian golem(strange name since it looks like a gold golem), combat mage and the rakshasa and dislike the rest especially the stormlord
Where exactly does the rainbow end?

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 12 Jun 2007, 21:22

They may look good but their abilities suck compared to the abilities the other factions are getting.
Gremlin Saboteur - Shooter, Sabotage
Gremlins will be able to paralyze any mechanical unit on the battlefield (golems, ammo carts, tents, town towers) for one turn, if the unit’s total hit points are lower than gremlins
So they can skip a turn to keep one tower or one war machine from functioning for one turn if you have a huge stack of them. And please don't mention miniartifacts because it takes a powerful wizard to make good artifacts to begin with and miniartifacts are impossible to build except on resource rich large maps.

Useless ability.
Marble Gargoyle - Flying, Elemental, Enraged, Elemental Aura, Elemental Vulnerability
Gargoyles and all creatures (including allies) standing near them will receive 1,5 times more damage from fire, air and water based spells.

This is worse than useless. This hurts the academy, not helps it. The academy has poor spell power and has light magic and summoning in its guild, not destruction. Gargoyles are needed for defending mages/gremlins and can't do that now since they will now be making the enemy's spells stronger.
Obsidian Golem - Mechanical, Obsidian Sphere, Destructive Magnetism
Obsidian golems are immune to all spells excluding those dealing damage. Every spell that deals magical damage heals and resurrects golems. The amount of restored hitpoints equals to 50% of the damage, which would have been dealt by the magical attack. At the start of the battle, golems receive “Obsidian sphere” that zeroes damage from destruction spells. If the golem stack was somehow damaged, next magical attack that hits them will heal the stack. If the golems suffer from area spell together with allied units, they will transfer portion of the damage to themselves.
Another special that depends on destruction magic rather than the academy's native summoning and light magic.

It may be an ok ability but nothing stellar really.
Combat Mage - Shooter, No Range Penalty, Caster (Fist Of Rage, Cleansing), Magic Aura
Battle mages have a little amount of spells, their shoot only hits one target.
Why fewer spells if they lose the magic ray attack?

So the mages lose the ray attack and lose fireball and righteous might. Fist sucks for the most part.

What is the magic aura?

Djinn Vizier - Large Creature, Flyer, Player Of Chance
Genies – viziers can increase luck for friendly creatures and decrease it for enemy creatures. They can do that three times per battle. It is possible to do so on a single unit only once per battle.
Useless. Why can't the genies be either decent spell casters (like in all mythology) or decent melee creatures?
Rakshasa Kshatri - Large Creature, Rush, Tornado

Rakshasa princess can break through six tiles in front of them.
Don't know what this means.

Storm Lord - Large Creature, Ranged, Immunity To Mind Spells, No Melee Penalty, Storm Call
Colossus can summon 3x3 tile sized cloud to any place on the battlefield; every creature that gets under the cloud receives 10 points of damage for each colossus that summoned the cloud. Shooters under the cloud receive 1% penalty to ranged attack for each colossus.
Useless.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Return to “Heroes V-VI”