alternative upgrade level?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

wich kind of alternative upgrades would you prefer?

each creature individual
89%
the whole town lean towards one side
11%

Total votes: 36

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2007, 17:09

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: Yes and it will make story maps make much less sense.
Unless you can turn it off in the editor...

And not any less then the other alignment creatures working for you just because you conquered their town.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 02 May 2007, 17:37

Omega_Destroyer wrote:That's exactly why I opted to not do computer science for a major.
:disagree:

Ar.Pi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Ar.Pi » 02 May 2007, 18:20

I would like to make a Super Mix! makes the game more flexible and interesting.

So each creature Individually.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 02 May 2007, 20:01

ThunderTitan wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: Yes and it will make story maps make much less sense.
Unless you can turn it off in the editor...

And not any less then the other alignment creatures working for you just because you conquered their town.
It makes less sense than other alignment creatures working for you because those alternative creatures are from the same town. If the alternative creatures (like the renegade life draining angels) are totally out of character with the rest of the town it blows the atmosphere of the story. Holy vampiric angels batman! :)

Furthurmore if both versions of the upgraded creatures are to be hired from the same building it cuts down on strategic choices that the player must make. It also makes the computer less likely to have a good combination of forces. If it is implemented this way there needs to be an option in the map editor to select which upgrade(s) are available and the alternative upgrade needs to be initially set to "off" so as not to ruin maps already made.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2007, 20:37

Really...i guess choosing between more types of creatures with lesser numbers or less types with more numbers isn't a strategic choice.

It gives you even more options without having the irritation of conquering another town only to discover that you can't really use the creatures in it.

Same town or same army, why does it matter so much more? Just give them a morale penalty for mixing and it's the same.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 02 May 2007, 20:45

maybe you have to choose to be "good" or "bad"
and every town you have is automaticly upgraded that way :creative:
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 03 May 2007, 01:23

Hmmm... I don't know how "good" would work with the Necromancers. It would be an interesting change.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 03 May 2007, 10:32

I don't think it's about good and bad. You should stop thinking about the moral and story implications of this change and start thinking about the new tactical advantages.

I mean think about it:

With haven: you get Irina, Battle Griffins already have dive, so they are much better than the imperial ones.

you get Laslo: you need offensive swordmen, not defensive ones so you get Vindicators, whereas with all others you should get Squires...

Crossbowmen rule... I don't know how they can be compared with the others.
I think this would be the worse problem this thing will have: balancing the 2 types of units so that a choice is never obvious. In the case of Crossbowmen vs Marksmen or Brute vs Conscript there is hardly any difficulty in choosing.

Furthermore: You can choose both inquisitors and those red clerics(forgot the name) to have many spell options in battle.So you see... diversity is good without asking ourselves too many moral questions.

I wonder: What would you choose between Archagels and Fallen Angels, and Champions vs Paladins?

The only problem I see with this alternative upgrade stuff is that it will increase by 50% the number of Dragons in the game... which stinks.

Mirez

Unread postby Mirez » 03 May 2007, 11:57

maybe their necromancers that wunna use souls for battle and those that wunna use the bones and remaining flesh
it would make more sence that 1 side thinks the dread night is better and the other the wraith (since those 2 allready formed a discussion)

watcher83
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby watcher83 » 03 May 2007, 12:37

I think when you choose a town at the begining between the town and hero selection square a new square should be introduced to choose the upgrades you wanna have which will also make towns have different looking upgraded buildings.( you can't train fallen angels at altar of heaven, they should make something like altar of the fallen or something)
so in this new square you would choose the upgrades, for example, let's say you choose haven, than you would choose between normal upgrades and renegades, then you choose your hero and then you choose between gold, resources or atifact.
Where exactly does the rainbow end?

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 03 May 2007, 13:35

maybe, just maybe we should for once listen to JJ, he is testing the beta right now isn t he ? :)
and as of my personnal choice, I don t think they ll bother to make each town with 2 flavors, way too much work for ubival :)
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 03 May 2007, 14:36

Well, no, Kilop, I'm not testing it, and I can't imagine I will, actually. In a month or so I may get my hands on the new texts, but that's it.
So I don't have any idea how they are going to do it.
Besides, the poll isn't about how Nival is going to do it, the poll is about how everyone would like it.

RommeL_666
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RommeL_666 » 03 May 2007, 14:55

well maybe the answer is simple, if you liked the Heroes 4 idea of creature upgrades maybe heroes should returned that idea or not. But it was always the same choice of uprgade between Black Dragon and the Hydra...
"There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people"
jeff wrote:Me to, I usually hire the two best looking female heroes. Ok a bit of a sexist, but if I am going to stare a pictures all day, I might as well enjoy the view. :devious:

Mirez

Unread postby Mirez » 03 May 2007, 17:18

yeah that's what I'm afraid of, like 1 unit is a little better, or better looking and every1 will always choose that creature

or, ubi balances those creatures like hell, and it ends up that their the same with different looks :D

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 03 May 2007, 21:51

Ok, so I'll say it otherwise :
I wouldn't like to have each town with two diferent flavors. It would seem a little dumb having nice elves and wrathfull elves, etc.
And I hope once a building is built, you cannot rebuild it : this would allow to make casters at the beginning, and then transform them into shooters when dommage is better.
Btw JJ, will you tell us once you know ?
Or just telling me is ok :devious:
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 03 May 2007, 22:38

*shamelessly reposting question until getting at least an answer*

I wonder: What would you choose between Archagels and Fallen Angels, and Champions vs Paladins?

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 03 May 2007, 22:41

Tough call for the Archangels and the Fallen Angels. I guess I'd have to give the nod to the Fallen Angels seeing as how Resurrection can only be used once.

I'll get back to you on the Paladins vs. Champions.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 04 May 2007, 12:16

As JJ said, you will be able to hire both of the upgrades, so I guess it's more close to the individual option... and I LIKE that :)

And what story complications or such? Why do you think the damn renegades will be the Haven's alternates? I dislike that idea, and I think there should be some 'normal', 'good' upgrades for Haven ;)
Hide, listen, watch, learn… And when the time is right, strike from the shadow.

Mirez

Unread postby Mirez » 04 May 2007, 14:54

fallen angels and paladins :tsup:

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 04 May 2007, 15:58

okrane wrote:*shamelessly reposting question until getting at least an answer*

It depends on their stats and abilities in the expansion.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”