alternative upgrade level?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

wich kind of alternative upgrades would you prefer?

each creature individual
89%
the whole town lean towards one side
11%

Total votes: 36

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

alternative upgrade level?

Unread postby Mirez » 01 May 2007, 18:05

I was wondering if the alternative upgrades have to been chosen by each ceature or you have to choose a "side" of upgrades

I think it's pretty obvious haven's alternate upgrades would be renegades, and since In my opinion renegade upgrades are (exept for the paladin and griffin) much better
so if would I be able to just upgrade the griffin and paladin to the haven side or do I have to choose between haven and renegade?

discuss

edit: the battle griffins weakness (wich is not being able to battle dive) can be covered if you choose irena as your main heroew
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 May 2007, 18:15

Individual creatures, screw the fluff, lets have some fun, we can always say that in canon they don't mix and the heroes weren't really using them.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

watcher83
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby watcher83 » 01 May 2007, 22:05

the whole line-up
it would be strange to put togheter holy warriors like paladins together with fallen angels
Where exactly does the rainbow end?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 01 May 2007, 22:26

I heard somewhere that the renegades will not be the alternatives for haven so in this light I'd rather get an individual choice. Better customization and more strategy to take into account this way.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 01 May 2007, 23:38

what TT said...
still.. it's not up to us u know...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 02 May 2007, 00:42

Elvin wrote:I heard somewhere that the renegades will not be the alternatives for haven so in this light I'd rather get an individual choice. Better customization and more strategy to take into account this way.
Me too, that is IF I even bother to buy Tribes.

Seems kinda strange that Tribes is going to be a standalone game, with the original Heroes 5 not even required. Is that so UbiSoft/Nival can charge more money for a separate standalone game than for an expansion?!? That's really creepy. Or is it because Heroes 5 & HoF are so full of bugs & glitches that they just want to be done with the whole mess?!? ;| That's just creepy too.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2007, 01:01

Didn't FC say it was gonna cost as an expansion?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 02 May 2007, 02:14

Shadow of Death was a standalone too, and it was quite handy for a quick reinstall for that hot seat game. Winds of War should have been one too.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 02 May 2007, 03:07

I like the idea of being able to mix and match my troops regardless of how strange of bedfellows they'd make.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 02 May 2007, 03:27

It's stand alone but you don't get access to the campaigns and maps from hof and original homm v. I can't say it any clearer than that. In that light, I'd be surprised if they charge the full game price.

We still get all the factions so if you didn't buy hof you still get to use the dwarves.

I'm undecided on the question in the poll. It's probably easier for them to balance if they make it like choosing another faction. So for example, you pick renegades instead of haven from the map selection screen.

From the wording of the announcement though, it does seem like a choice per creature. Both ways are fun. I bet the creatures won't be different enough for it to matter.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 02 May 2007, 05:35

Actually, the way I understand this it's not even a choice - you can hire both the same way as you can hire upgrade and non-upgraded creatures.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 02 May 2007, 06:55

It's more of a theme if you have to choose one of the other instead of mixing to get the best possible group and it would fit with RPG maps alot more. It would also make balancing a bit easier since you can have f.e an offence oriented Haven lineup where the creatures are better individually but are uselss at supporting eachother and in the original Haven lineup the creatures are a bit worse individually but they are great at supporting eachother (Squire with shield allies instead of Cleave f.e).

But I would like to create my own superarmy and you would be guessing what the enemies choosed which would perhaps make you go for the other upgrade as an answer to his choice. An example would be that if your Wizard enemy would choose as many golems as possible then the other type of Vampire that got higher stats but no lifesucking would be better suited to face them.

So individual all the way.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2007, 10:34

Jolly Joker wrote:Actually, the way I understand this it's not even a choice - you can hire both the same way as you can hire upgrade and non-upgraded creatures.
Well it's not like it's a good idea to half your main forces between the 2 upgrades, is it.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 02 May 2007, 10:35

[quote="watcher83"]the whole line-up
it would be strange to put togheter holy warriors like paladins together with fallen angels[/quote]

I kinda agree with him
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2007, 11:00

Equality 4 all... discrimination is bad, mkay!

Screw the fluff and let us have some fun. It wouldn't be the first time gameplay and cannon were different. And let's not forget that you can use B.Dragons with Angels in the game, so it's not so strange (morale penalty for mixing alternates?)

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 02 May 2007, 11:20

haloswift wrote:
watcher83 wrote:the whole line-up
it would be strange to put togheter holy warriors like paladins together with fallen angels
I kinda agree with him
Yes and it will make story maps make much less sense. And will cause other problems (like AI hiring effective combinations of troops) if both upgrades are available in the same building instead of the player having to choose one.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 02 May 2007, 11:38

All I have to say is: We shall see...

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 02 May 2007, 11:53

So who wants to bet that "the gamedevelopers of the damned" will teach the A.I to field effective mixes of creatures? :rofl:
Last edited by Campaigner on 03 May 2007, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 02 May 2007, 13:55

Here's a good mix that will probably be used in the actual game:

Code: Select all

for(int i = 0; i < 7; i++){
     hero_slot[i].assignCreature(randomCreatureOfLevel(i+1));
}
easy huh? :D

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 02 May 2007, 16:48

That's exactly why I opted to not do computer science for a major.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”