Tribes of the East- the last of HV?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 16 Jun 2007, 11:48

Tell me about it :D
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 16 Jun 2007, 13:18

Ok if you think they can make a non-cheating AI that will challenge you that is going to run on a typical home PC, then I worry more for your generation than UBI or the gaming industry.
Last edited by Anonymous on 17 Jun 2007, 13:28, edited 2 times in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 16 Jun 2007, 13:59

I never said that I just feel they have crossed to the other side completely :) I do agree with JJ that the AI needs to cheat but it needs at least a few scripts to act more efficiently. Cheats alone and completely dumb adventure AI is repulsive.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jun 2007, 16:59

jeff wrote:Ok if you thinking they can make a non-cheating AI that will challenge you that is going to run on a typical home PC, then I worry more for your generation than UBI or the gaming industry.
You're right, no game AI has ever defeated a human, no matter the players skill. Cheating is for higher then normal difficulty levels, not something it needs to do to function.

Also, brute force is starting to be a thing of the past, and :"current personal computers are more powerful than the supercomputers of just a few years ago. "
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 Jun 2007, 13:41

Elvin wrote:I never said that I just feel they have crossed to the other side completely :) I do agree with JJ that the AI needs to cheat but it needs at least a few scripts to act more efficiently. Cheats alone and completely dumb adventure AI is repulsive.
This is my point; it’s not a non-cheating AI we should be complaining about but our desire for an AI that makes logical decisions. We want an AI that doesn’t run past an undefended town, mine or resource. We want an AI that exploits mistakes we make. AI’s have to cheat (at least until computers become far more powerful than they are today) otherwise the game will become boring very quickly. One of my favorite strategy games was Master of Orion, at some point the AI would start showing up with fleets of 32,767 ships, now I defy anyone to build that many in the time span of the average game, it can’t be done, but it ensured the end of the game when we had powerful fleets of our own, was still going to be a challenge. :-D

Now back to Tribes, let’s hope since this will probably be the last major upgrade (at least let’s hope it’s an upgrade) for H-V, that they adjust the AI to make fewer stupid decisions. Otherwise let this be the last of H-V and put us all out of our misery. Though, I still would like to see a user friendly editor. (Sorry I can’t get off that soapbox.) ;|

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 17 Jun 2007, 14:00

I'm playing Heroes 2 now and the A.I there is smart enough for me to not complain much. In the fifth mission of the good campaign, the Necromancer (closest enemy) didn't even have Liches in month 2 and the Wizard up north neither had Mages nor Steel Golems so it must be Normal difficulty they're set on. This means that I have strangled them of resources so they couldn't build higher lvl dwellings which is exactly the way it should be.

Amazes me that they couldn't just make a Heroes 2 or 3 comparable A.I to the first expansion. There's no excuse for that.

Jeff: Surely there'll be a Heroes VI that we can long for. Just wonder where that will be outsourced :D

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 Jun 2007, 14:10

Campaigner wrote: Jeff: Surely there'll be a Heroes VI that we can long for. Just wonder where that will be outsourced :D
For all of my complaining, I could embrace H-V or VI if they would fix the editor, good mapmakers will correct most flaws with their own ingenuity. Alas I fear VI will be doomed by the type of outsourcing that is chasing me away from V.

MoxManiac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MoxManiac » 18 Jun 2007, 16:29

jeff wrote:
Elvin wrote:I never said that I just feel they have crossed to the other side completely :) I do agree with JJ that the AI needs to cheat but it needs at least a few scripts to act more efficiently. Cheats alone and completely dumb adventure AI is repulsive.
This is my point; it’s not a non-cheating AI we should be complaining about but our desire for an AI that makes logical decisions. We want an AI that doesn’t run past an undefended town, mine or resource. We want an AI that exploits mistakes we make. AI’s have to cheat (at least until computers become far more powerful than they are today) otherwise the game will become boring very quickly. One of my favorite strategy games was Master of Orion, at some point the AI would start showing up with fleets of 32,767 ships, now I defy anyone to build that many in the time span of the average game, it can’t be done, but it ensured the end of the game when we had powerful fleets of our own, was still going to be a challenge. :-D

Now back to Tribes, let’s hope since this will probably be the last major upgrade (at least let’s hope it’s an upgrade) for H-V, that they adjust the AI to make fewer stupid decisions. Otherwise let this be the last of H-V and put us all out of our misery. Though, I still would like to see a user friendly editor. (Sorry I can’t get off that soapbox.) ;|
Yeah, the editor is driving me nuts. For example, I made this patch of gravel/path stuff, but it shows up as snow on the minimap, and no matter what I do, I can't erase it. At all.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”