Unfair Hostility to Heroes 5 and Nival >.<

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
tekeeee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unfair Hostility to Heroes 5 and Nival >.<

Unread postby tekeeee » 01 Apr 2007, 23:43

SO like going through this forum you really get the feeling that Heroes is a terrible game, and like even before the game people were very angry that the game was developed in Russia
Ok so maybe I would've been more happy that it was made in russia but beyond that I think the game is ok
Yeah it is not the super good game but it is safe isn't it?
Like did you expect something complete revamped and innovative like Heroes 4? you all hated that game, it made some good and a lot of bad innovations
That same can almost be said about Heroes 5 expect that it is too similar to Heroes 3, the game everyone loved
SO of course if the Nival actually cared it would try to make the game more like Heroes 3, which it does to too great of an extent
The new skill system is nice and making some skills that were useless in Heroes 3, useful was a very good change

I stopped playing though because my computer is too old, but it wasn't that bad
the bottom line is that this is a stepping stone for future projekts, so I will not be playing heroes 5 anymore (downlaoded it anyways so I am not complaining becuase I waste money) but I will be very interested in whatever they decided to make next

:-D :baby: :devious:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Unfair Hostility to Heroes 5 and Nival >.<

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Apr 2007, 23:50

tekeeee wrote:you all hated that game,
NO.

tekeeee wrote: SO of course if the Nival actually cared it would try to make the game more like Heroes 3, which it does to too great of an extent
Just worse.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Apr 2007, 00:24

Consensus on this forum is that H5 isn't too bad a game, but that it could be better. You'll get comments like that on just about every game out there; and there are extremes of course, who think the game is either terrific or terrible, nothing in between.

Personally, I think the game is all right. It has a very good skill system and lots of potential, but it also has a big problem gameplay-wise: one of its key features, the graphics, is too resource demanding compared to the benefits rendered.

I still think Nival could have done a lot better; it is much more likely I will criticise their efforts on H5 than praise them...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 02 Apr 2007, 08:01

wow, some big statements there .... and some nice big generalisations too

and this from someone who seems to have acquired a copy illegally if I read your post correctly .... isn't that against forum rules?
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 02 Apr 2007, 10:37

Sure the game is OK but not more. People are angry since Nival has this "We know what's best, now shut up!" attitude that people in the west doesn't appreciate.
Another reason people are disapointed is that there are and were so many obvious features missing, so many small mistakes that take like 10 seconds to fix and the fact they don't want to do a thing more than they have to!

Then we got the cheating A.I....free lvls, cheap stuff, strange autocombat for it and bullrushing at week 3 and hiding in his castle if it loses that battle....

And then we got the things Nival do that make you wonder if they do them just for pissing you off. Like removing the Biara model and replacing it with the male DemonLord model. WhyTF did they do that for??

About HIV, I guess that most heroes fans hated it and that the M&M fans liked it since it is a bit like M&M with the hero parties. Personally I can't understand how somebody wants to play that game....

And I didn't think Heroes III was the best game in the series, Heroes II was. If I could mix features from those two games though, the result would have been very good. But now I don't want to be without initiative and abilities so the Heroes II & III mix would miss some good features.

Stefan: Don't you think honesty should be encouraged? Besides, only those that bought the game are upset that other people got it for free.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 02 Apr 2007, 11:39

I've enjoyed all of the heroes games including HOMM4.

I think a major concern with HOMM5 is the patching eternal concept and the long length of time between the last couple of patches for sure. Another concern is that the editor is not at all friendly, requiring mapmakers to learn a new scripting language. That was a poor decision on Nival's/Ubi's part since user made content is the core of the success of the series.

There are also balance issues that strangely have not been dealt with and playtesting has been questionable.

Having said all of that I enjoy HOMM5 and think the future of the HOMM series is bright.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

finkellll
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby finkellll » 02 Apr 2007, 12:45

i've played and liked 3,4, and 5, but since 5 is so similar to 3 its hard to play it, and then we throw in the 5 minute AI turns.... and after a week (homm time) ur ready to go do something else. other than that i think its a great game.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 02 Apr 2007, 14:11

I was disappointed with Heroes V and I stopped playing it a long time ago, but to be honest, I'd imagine it would be a good game to recommend to people who have never played a HoMM game before. Heroes V would give them a general idea of the series.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Starbatron
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Starbatron » 02 Apr 2007, 14:14

I enjoyed every game in the series. That being said, I think the biggest complaint about HoMM IV was not the innovations themselves in the game, but how they were implemented. Granted, 3DO didn't really have the time and resources to develop that game properly; perhap if it had the time and money at the time to implement those innovations properly, more people would have loved HoMM IV. It seems the problems with HoMM V are similar to HoMM IV in the sense that the amount of time needed to fix its problems wasn't spent. As a result, even if you have a game with great potential, so many bugs and poor A.I fixes and even an unnecessarily bulky graphics systems that doesn't add enough to be worthwhile make the game much less of a geat game than it could otherwise be.

Tekeee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tekeee » 02 Apr 2007, 20:24

Campaigner wrote:Sure the game is OK but not more. People are angry since Nival has this "We know what's best, now shut up!" attitude that people in the west doesn't appreciate.
What you talking about People in the West? you mean you? Or China becomes west after a while so what wrong wit you!

And yeah I agree that Heroes 5 feeled rushed, the day I found it was announced I also found out it would be 2 months later it was released
But the important thing is that maybe the 6th will be better huh? Like no one has convinced me to *acquire* the game again so I will stick with my opinion of it being an Alright game that is great for New people, so like screw old veterans just get new people into the game you know :hoo:

Why is heroes 2 better lol I tried to play that one and it is a classic becuase I played it in like grade 1 heh :D But I heard that heroes 2 had a more interesting units becuase Heroes 3 had all units around the same stats and stuff :)

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Unfair Hostility to Heroes 5 and Nival >.<

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 03 Apr 2007, 08:55

tekeeee wrote:Like did you expect something complete revamped and innovative like Heroes 4? you all hated that game, it made some good and a lot of bad innovations

Like no one has convinced me to *acquire* the game again so I will stick with my opinion of it being an Alright game that is great for New people, so like screw old veterans just get new people into the game you know
Is this some bad April Fool's suggestion ? I don't think most here regard Heroes IV like that.

And while you're right about Heroes V would be great for newcomers to Heroes series, don't forget that current trend with most successful games didn't rely upon new players only. The fan bases of games and core players are as important to the industry as new players, not mentioning their familiarity with the series, their free game-testing, reviews, and feedback. Even if the a title would not make it to new audiences, a well-nurtured fan base can still provide good standing and long lasting appeal. Simply said, they're the groundwork of a game series.

Neglecting that is like releasing a small bird you've already had in hand in favor of a prospect of capturing larger bird still at large. I don't think that is a very good marketing decision.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 03 Apr 2007, 09:07

Tekeee wrote:
Campaigner wrote:Sure the game is OK but not more. People are angry since Nival has this "We know what's best, now shut up!" attitude that people in the west doesn't appreciate.
What you talking about People in the West? you mean you? Or China becomes west after a while so what wrong wit you!
Europe.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 04 Apr 2007, 04:30

the west generally refers to europe, america, and australia I'd guess
Stefan: Don't you think honesty should be encouraged? Besides, only those that bought the game are upset that other people got it for free
not if it goes against forum rules .... I'm not at all upset that he got it for free, and that I paid for it

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 04 Apr 2007, 06:48

stefan.urlus wrote:the west generally refers to europe, america, and australia I'd guess
Stefan: Don't you think honesty should be encouraged? Besides, only those that bought the game are upset that other people got it for free
not if it goes against forum rules .... I'm not at all upset that he got it for free, and that I paid for it
Piracy does upset me. :devil:

Money from their games are how the folks at Ubi/Nival make a living. It is also how they develop future projects and how they decide what projects to develop in the future.

If you get it free as a gift or you won it, great. But if you get it free because you steal it, shame on you.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 04 Apr 2007, 06:58

and that's why he's called a Grumpy old wizard! :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Apr 2007, 13:45

Would you ppl stop reminding me i actually payed money for H5! I'm ashamed already. :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 04 Apr 2007, 13:57

I tend to agree with Campaigner's points. The Nival "attitude" is hard to swallow for me even in the best of times. Also things like AI turns taking too long, almost no AI tweaks since the game was released, patches that sometimes introduce problems, obvious details overlooked, etc. cause people to have a bad opinion.

If I had to rate the game currently [considering it's been out for a while] I'd have to give it a 3 or 4 out of 10. This explains why I [a huge fan of the series as a whole] doesn't even have HoMM loaded on their PC any more.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Apr 2007, 14:21

Alamar wrote:3 or 4 out of 10
Geez!

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 04 Apr 2007, 15:48

That's a bit less than the game deserves! :D
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

tekeeee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tekeeee » 04 Apr 2007, 19:29

Campaigner wrote:
Tekeee wrote:
Europe.
Russia is in Europe too! So what you talking about "People in the West" you think Chinese are anymore happy with this game? Its nothing about "Russia's Mentality, Microsoft does worse things but wait I you consider Microsoft Western so it of course does nothing wrong!
I said that I have a "borrowed copy" becususe I want to remind you that I have no problem with this game because I wasted money on it

And many of the problems you are talking about are in Heroes 3 even, yeah its been a few years but that is why I said it resembles Heroes 3 alot, else you would not have recognized it, the only thing that changed is the unessceassry Graphics which lag up the game,

The same problem was with all the Heroes game and besides most the people here don't actually complain about the older games, yes the only people that still discuss them are the people who liked them.
I like Heroes just my computer was too bad to handle it I don't understand why your could hate it unless your computer ran it very slowly, check the system requirements! EVery game that will be released will have huge system requirements did you see Europa Universalis 3? It used to be a great game and it still is, but its new ugly 3D graphics slow down the enitre game, they have no choice becuase if they stayed with old engine the game would get no attention from NEW FANS

New people would probably be amazed at its history and global scale but a lot of old veterans will be turned away at how much better it could of been

The situation is even worse with Heroes 5 becuase company just wants to send something out the dorr in time for Christmas, maybe they will have more money and time to create new game, so what does it have to do with the West?? :mad: :proud:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”