Great Graphics so far........Ah So What

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
jeff

Unread postby jeff » 16 Jan 2006, 14:31

thanasis wrote:Do not complain about something U R not sure.In HoMM III Arm.Blade there was an RMG and boost the gameplay.U dont know what will follow.I hope that the Single Senarios and the Campaign will keep us focused on the game until the first exp. release.I HOPE
I did a search on the official website and could not find Fabrice's comment, but Dragon_Oracle stated it is confirmed that a powerful campaign editor will not be included. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/ ... 061673/p/2. Now I have not found what he based that statement on, but he is not one to make up facts. If what he stated is true, then Heroes V will be an downgrade of Heroes IV when it comes to replayability and longevity. :(
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 Jan 2006, 14:45

jeff wrote:I did a search on the official website and could not find Fabrice's comment, but Dragon_Oracle stated it is confirmed that a powerful campaign editor will not be included. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/ ... 061673/p/2. Now I have not found what he based that statement on, but he is not one to make up facts. If what he stated is true, then Heroes V will be an downgrade of Heroes IV when it comes to replayability and longevity. :(
Doesn't look too good, no. But a campaign editor isn't the same as a map editor, and a powerful one isn't the same as a "good enough" one (H3's map editor is a "good enough" one, H3 with WoG's is a powerful one, H4's is somewhere in the middle.)

And there's still the chance that he got some wrong, or outdated info.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 16 Jan 2006, 14:50

Doesn't look too good, no. But a campaign editor isn't the same as a map editor, and a powerful one isn't the same as a "good enough" one (H3's map editor is a "good enough" one, H3 with WoG's is a powerful one, H4's is somewhere in the middle.)

And there's still the chance that he got some wrong, or outdated info.
Again true and a weak campaign editor maybe good enough to start, as I have said I play 90% campaigns, and usually only play single maps when playtesting. We'll see. B-)

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 16 Jan 2006, 14:54

I sure hope we get a map/campaign editor. I'm a horrible mapmaker myself, but it's fun to make your own stories. And it does help with longevity - I rarely play H4 anymore, there's only 1 single-scenario map from the original game I didn't play (the extra-large one), and I have no real reason to do them over again. With an editor, one can make more scenarios thus there's more gametime. Which I'd like.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 16 Jan 2006, 15:03

Campaigner wrote:Am I the only one on this forum that have never downloaded a map for a HoMM game..?
Probably.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Fallen Angel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Fallen Angel » 16 Jan 2006, 16:27

Perhaps it's just a matter of priorities for the initial release. They may want to be certain the actual game is at 100% before dealing with a random map generator or campaign editor. Personally, I'd rather the release be pushed back so that everything is included when the game goes gold, but I wouldn't mind those editors being released in a patch. There's certainly going to be plenty of material to keep me busy in the meantime.

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 16 Jan 2006, 16:46

I agree that not having a map editor is a Bad Thing (tm).

I do not believe that H5 will be shipped without a map editor... however, the comment was, IIRC, about a RANDOM map generator, and that is what I am talking about.

RMG was not in H2, took years to be used in any decent way for H3, and I never played H4 much so I dont have any clue about that game. There are no RMG's for any 3D based games that I know of or have played, and Fabrice stated, quite correctly, that an RMG for 3D based games at this point in time would be an almost insurmountable task.

But Fan created maps are a Good Thing(tm). Prometheus, among others, even had one of his maps integrated in the H2 expansion pack, The Price of Loyalty. I dont remember exactly which map it was, but I -THINK- it was the H2 map Spellbound.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 16 Jan 2006, 16:49

Vision wrote:IBut Fan created maps are a Good Thing(tm). Prometheus, among others, even had one of his maps integrated in the H2 expansion pack, The Price of Loyalty. I dont remember exactly which map it was, but I -THINK- it was the H2 map Spellbound.
I believe that the only H2 "version" which had user-made maps included was H2 Gold, which contained about 10 of the more popular user-made maps.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 16 Jan 2006, 18:36

Vision wrote:
RMG was not in H2, took years to be used in any decent way for H3....
Well, there was one in Heroes 2 gold, but i cannot judge wether it generated decent results.... rather'd say that it didn't !
For example, it put snowy mountains in swamps and just plastered them too randomly in the landscape.... sometimes the finetuning took more time than actually creating everything by hand !

edit: ....no wait, or was that one in Heroes 3? Damn, just woke up, maybe my brain is still REMing!
Can't remember exactly now, maybe it will clear later :|
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Acron
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Acron » 16 Jan 2006, 20:35

The RMG in homm 3 was good enough. I use it almost everytime I play homm 3 these days. Especially is it good for multiplayer co-op, except maybe a bit easy (even on impossible).
Back

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 17 Jan 2006, 01:16

From what I can tell at the moment, a Map Editor is an absolute certainty. It WILL be included. No doubt what so ever on that one. A random map generator will NOT be included (but is planned for the expansions). The only thing up in the air in this regards is the campaign editor. Nobody seems to know ANYTHING for certian about this one.

Concerning fan-made maps in the actual games....that only happened in H2-Gold and in H4-Winds of War. Whether they'll choose to do so in H5....I'll certainly suggest it.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 17 Jan 2006, 02:15

Ah yes, H2 Gold.

There were a few REALLY good player-made maps in that.

As for an RMG, I seriously doubt that it will be any good, if they include one at all (whether it is in an expansion or not)

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 17 Jan 2006, 05:15

There have been awesome maps in every version.

The things that people have done with HOMM4 map editor are truly great.

I'm actually surprised they didn't beta the map editor. It seams that the maps created by fans are often the driving force on sales of expansion sets for these games.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 17 Jan 2006, 06:39

Well, if they help drive expansion sales, then we have plenty of time being that the main game isnt even released yet =)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Jan 2006, 06:58

Well,there is a high chance that if we get map editor campaign editor will follow.It isnt that hard to link maps,and that is almost everything that campaign editor does.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 Jan 2006, 13:30

DaemianLucifer wrote:Well,there is a high chance that if we get map editor campaign editor will follow.It isnt that hard to link maps,and that is almost everything that campaign editor does.
That is what I have been saying. Linking maps and carrying over heroes and artifacts are all that is needed. I do not see what the difficulty would be, if a map editor is developed. :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Jan 2006, 21:42

You know,I think it would actually be a good thing if map editor isnt included right away,aince it would(at least it should)mean that they are bringing some rather complicated inovations in it.Something like a creature or hero editor(complete editor,from the pisture and statistics,to map wiev and combat looks and animations).

But I guess that such a thing wont be added anyway,so dont mind my rambling :devil:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 17 Jan 2006, 22:04

DaemianLucifer wrote:You know,I think it would actually be a good thing if map editor isnt included right away,aince it would(at least it should)mean that they are bringing some rather complicated inovations in it.Something like a creature or hero editor(complete editor,from the pisture and statistics,to map wiev and combat looks and animations).
Or it could mean that they've ran out of time and couldn't get it done before release...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Jan 2006, 22:10

I dont see how a map editor can be hard to make parallel with the game,since they already have all the concepts for it laid out(even if they used the HIV editor without a single change it would still be excelent),and all they have to do is tune it to fit the new game.It can be done by one man with just half an hour daily.

But if they want to add some inovations to it,then its completely different.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 17 Jan 2006, 22:18

It's true that most of the work would be done, but it's likely that whatever they use for their own maps is far less polished and possibly even without a feature or two. And I very much doubt they could use very much of the old editors- the format of maps is most likely quite different.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”