Great Graphics so far........Ah So What

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 18 Jan 2006, 14:27

Yeah but they could use the concepts of the editor, build it on the new engine. Use it to create maps for there own needs...
Grah!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Jan 2006, 17:40

Gaidal Cain wrote:It's true that most of the work would be done, but it's likely that whatever they use for their own maps is far less polished and possibly even without a feature or two. And I very much doubt they could use very much of the old editors- the format of maps is most likely quite different.
That's why he said that most of the work is done.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DarkAngel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DarkAngel » 25 Jan 2006, 14:30

I don't think 3D is the main problem for making an efficient map editor. If u look at the aurora toolset from Neverwinter nights, it is an all rendered in 3D powerfull tool for building great campaigns.
And from what i have seen about H5 so far, it doens't look much complicated compared to the character design and object "drag and put" tool in Aurora. I guess it was more a choice of developpment rather than a "scared by too much hassle" matter. Maybe Ubisoft doesn't want to let the editing community become so huge that they can't even get a slight control of what is produced, and thus lose money ;|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 14:55

How would they loose money? It's not like they can sell individual maps.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DarkAngel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DarkAngel » 25 Jan 2006, 15:06

I guess, with each addon, they intend to provide a full set of campaigns. Allowing us to make our own would probably lower the profit they could expect from it. It takes some time to make a good campaign, and the devs in Nival are paid to do it, so it's a financial issue they have to think about carefully.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 15:09

DarkAngel wrote:I guess, with each addon, they intend to provide a full set of campaigns. Allowing us to make our own would probably lower the profit they could expect from it. It takes some time to make a good campaign, and the devs in Nival are paid to do it, so it's a financial issue they have to think about carefully.
Campaign editor is not the same as Map editor. And they could put new towns in an addon (11 factions in the new world), and certainly new creatures.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 15:36

DarkAngel wrote:I guess, with each addon, they intend to provide a full set of campaigns. Allowing us to make our own would probably lower the profit they could expect from it. It takes some time to make a good campaign, and the devs in Nival are paid to do it, so it's a financial issue they have to think about carefully.
HIII had both map and campaign editors,yet fans still bought the expansions.Same goes for HIV,evven though the expansions were crapy.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 15:43

DaemianLucifer wrote: HIII had both map and campaign editors,yet fans still bought the expansions.Same goes for HIV,even though the expansions were crapy.

I didn't care much for the HIII expansions either. But yeah, the HIV ones were even worse. At least they solved some bugs.
;|

DarkAngel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DarkAngel » 25 Jan 2006, 16:35

DaemianLucifer wrote:HIII had both map and campaign editors,yet fans still bought the expansions.Same goes for HIV,evven though the expansions were crapy.
Same goes for HIV, well it looks to me more like "a few people went for HIV extensions". If not, 3DO would be developping the next opus. So i guess, in order to make out more profit, Ubisoft has certainly learnt from 3DO's failure and won't make the same mistakes. If it has to be with avoiding giving to the fans a tool to edit campaigns in order to sell theirs better, they might go for it. Such a world of profit is ours, unfortunately ;|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 16:50

DarkAngel wrote: Same goes for HIV, well it looks to me more like "a few people went for HIV extensions". If not, 3DO would be developping the next opus. So i guess, in order to make out more profit, Ubisoft has certainly learnt from 3DO's failure and won't make the same mistakes. If it has to be with avoiding giving to the fans a tool to edit campaigns in order to sell theirs better, they might go for it. Such a world of profit is ours, unfortunately ;|
Most people didn't go for H4 at all. That's why 3DO went under.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 16:51

DarkAngel wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:HIII had both map and campaign editors,yet fans still bought the expansions.Same goes for HIV,evven though the expansions were crapy.
Same goes for HIV, well it looks to me more like "a few people went for HIV extensions". If not, 3DO would be developping the next opus. So i guess, in order to make out more profit, Ubisoft has certainly learnt from 3DO's failure and won't make the same mistakes. If it has to be with avoiding giving to the fans a tool to edit campaigns in order to sell theirs better, they might go for it. Such a world of profit is ours, unfortunately ;|
Oh,right,3DO would never fail if it just made better expansions

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 25 Jan 2006, 22:13

First that would be a reckless marketing strategy. Selling an addon that was primarily company produced maps would have little market appeal, what would it be able to sell for successfully $10 US maybe. Addons live or die by additional features, such as new towns, heroes, creatures and or artifacts. An addon of mostly maps would not be worth the effort, but giving the community a fully functional editor to include a campaign ability helps give the product shelf life. How long has Heroes III and IV been kept alive thanks to player made maps? If as you suggest that is their strategy and a campaign editor is not included then they can take the copy that I would have bought and ……………., well let your imagination fill in the blank.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”