New info and combat interface screen

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you like how the progress bar looks?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 27

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

New info and combat interface screen

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jan 2006, 22:20

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/ ... 7041073893

A scan from a polish mag.

Age of Heroes summed it up:
A post on ubi forums shows a scan from from a Polish magazine article. There's a battle screenshoot with some of the combat dynamics explained:

• The battlefield will be 8x10 squares, this was decided after many tests.
• Heroes cannot be attacked but they can attack enemy creatures and cast spells.
• "Dynamic Mode" will give you only 10-15 seconds to move each creature.
• Tactics phase: before the battle, both sides will place their units on the first two rows of battlefield.
• Initiative bar shows the order in which creatures get their turn to act - it depends on the creatures' initiative, spells cast on them, etc.

The article also talks about the Ghost Mode. When enabled, a player will be able to control a "ghost" during the opponent's turn and move it around on the opponent's territory. Ghost can: haunt, posess, curse, devour, guard and vision. Posessing a neutral stack gives the ghost's owner battle control of the neutrals when the opponent attacks them.

Man that progress bar looks bad. It looked better before.

Damn typos...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 15 Jan 2006, 00:19

An 8x10 battlefield? That's smaller than Heroes II! And I agree about that progress bar thing. No wonder the battlefield is so small. :disagree:

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 15 Jan 2006, 01:56

Voted No

Eww, double yuck. I don't like the 8X10 battlefield either.
Be Without Haste
Live the Moment

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 15 Jan 2006, 07:58

Doesn't look good, so NO
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Jan 2006, 12:28

The progress bar looks, eh good enough but I liked the one in the video better.

And what about the battlefield? Its just to SMALL! If we cant have an option to set the size for bf before a new game or have a adopting bf depending on how many stacks there is on the bf.
I wonder what the excuse are for shrinking the bf so much.
UBI and Nival have really messed things up and shot themself I say including SF makes it worse!
:disagree: :| :no: :tsdown: :wall:
SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! :ashamed:
Stop ruin the game totally before its to late! :stop:

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 15 Jan 2006, 13:36

Orfinn wrote:The progress bar looks, eh good enough but I liked the one in the video better.

And what about the battlefield? Its just to SMALL! If we cant have an option to set the size for bf before a new game or have a adopting bf depending on how many stacks there is on the bf.
I wonder what the excuse are for shrinking the bf so much.
UBI and Nival have really messed things up and shot themself I say including SF makes it worse!
:disagree: :| :no: :tsdown: :wall:
SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! :ashamed:
Stop ruin the game totally before its to late! :stop:
I hope Fabrice knows of this forum, and especially this thread. I don't mind if they make the graphics different(which I didn't like in the first place), I can do my best to tolerate the SF problem, but the shrinking of the bf is the LAST STRAW!!! :mad:

Hopefully Fabrice realize this mistake, cause the reputation is going down since the SF trouble. I don't mind if he screws up making the game, as long as he has the will to listen to the fans and correct it. So Fabrice, wish you would understand.

BTW, did A told him about this place? it would be hilarious for Fab to find the old RT deserted while he post at every thread: 'WHERE THE **** IS EVERYBODY???"

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 15 Jan 2006, 13:39

Oh no! Does HodgePodge knows of this thread?? Quick! Hide it before she blows her head reading this!! :vomit:

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 15 Jan 2006, 13:52

what's the big damn deal really?

sure it looked more stylish before, now it looks more newbiefriendly. but as long as user friendliness doesn't get in the way of game play there is nothing to complain about. the only thing I can complain about is that if two similar pictures are right after one another in the progress bar, there doesn't seem to be anything to differentiate them. so having two similar stacks with similar pictures on one progress bar.. that could spell trouble.

How the hell did starforce get into this discussion? you can't use star force as a backup in EVERY discussion. I fail to see the connection.

and the battlefield size well.. it all depends on the movement on the creatures. at least it's not the horrible isometric one from H4. it didn't make any sense even with the grid on. the H3 battlefield was terribly uninspiring and stupid. what normal general would line up all his units right next to one another? no strategic influence there.

I'll wait until thursday before I rant but so far I can't see the big deal. it could be great, it could be awful but it could also be mediocre. let's just wait and see.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jan 2006, 15:05

a55a55in wrote: I hope Fabrice knows of this forum, and especially this thread. I don't mind if they make the graphics different(which I didn't like in the first place), I can do my best to tolerate the SF problem, but the shrinking of the bf is the LAST STRAW!!! :mad:

BTW, did A told him about this place? it would be hilarious for Fab to find the old RT deserted while he post at every thread: 'WHERE THE **** IS EVERYBODY???"
He did post on the Forum some time ago! He asked one of the mod to increse the file size of the avatar, and comented on the system reqs someone found on an american site.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jan 2006, 18:26

I am not going to repeat what I said in my post, but an 8 x 10 BF, what are they thinking. I said at the beginning the graphics looked great but the units looked large. How are you going to get armies to fit on that thing and not bump into each other? Good grief as we get closer things seem to be sliding down hill. Let's hope we're wrong, the franchise cannot afford a failure. ;|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jan 2006, 19:21

WTF is this?!!The only thing that looked decent was the progress bar,and the bttlefield graphics!It wasnt enough that they had toilet graphics,now they added toilet interface?!

One big N O !
ThunderTitan wrote:
a55a55in wrote: I hope Fabrice knows of this forum, and especially this thread. I don't mind if they make the graphics different(which I didn't like in the first place), I can do my best to tolerate the SF problem, but the shrinking of the bf is the LAST STRAW!!! :mad:

He did post on the Forum some time ago! He asked one of the mod to increse the file size of the avatar, and comented on the system reqs someone found on an american site.
Well,he did post when I started trashing the company about milking money away from us.Who knows,maybe it can work again :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Jan 2006, 15:31

DaemianLucifer wrote: Well,he did post when I started trashing the company about milking money away from us.Who knows,maybe it can work again :devil:
Well, get on it already. :devious:

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 20 Jan 2006, 20:27

Voted NO

That looks really weird, I don't like it. And the battlefield is waaaaaaay too small, like jeff said the units are going to be bumping elbows all over.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 20 Jan 2006, 20:52

Voted yes.
I very much like the new progress bar, and I can´t have a formed opinion about the battlefield, since I DIDN´T play the game yet, unlike some of our friends here that are so sure the battlefield sucks...
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Merciless.Magal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Merciless.Magal » 20 Jan 2006, 21:53

i hate when i read replies like: you dont have the right to have an opinion just because you did not play the game yet... i know it is not a really informed opinion, but it is our way to discuss what we see and dont like.. because there was Heroes IV and we want that there will be Heroes VI... so it is not like complaining just because we like complaining.. its our way to maybe help the developers... it is constructive criticism most of the time, not just plain complaint... and arthureloi it is not directed to you specifically, i read stuff like this from many ppl.. some just say stupid things like.. if you dont like it, than dont buy it... i hate this sort of replies.

about the poll... i dont give a damn about dynamic mode because i dont intend to play it at all... i pray that the 8x10 battlefield is somehting the mag got wrong.. its been discussed on a proper thread and i hope it is variable in size... it will really suck if you simply dont have room to place your troops if they are large and dont fit in only 2 rows... i really can't believe this is true... and i agree that ghost mode is interesting.. i dont like the bar or the interface for what i see, but i dont care too much about it as long as they fix the battlefield size.... one thing i always liked about heroes is that you need to know alot about the game to really master it.. this sort of simplifications they are trying to put everywhere to make it easier to understand will make it boring and loose interest on the game quicker.. not me though... i dont care, im glad that there is Heroes V and i want that there will be Heroes VI, but i hope devs read this forums and try to understand the fans and make a game that is possible to please the old timers and not just the new audiences.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Jan 2006, 22:10

Merciless.Magal wrote:i hate when i read replies like: you dont have the right to have an opinion just because you did not play the game yet... i know it is not a really informed opinion, but it is our way to discuss what we see and dont like.. because there was Heroes IV and we want that there will be Heroes VI... so it is not like complaining just because we like complaining.. its our way to maybe help the developers... it is constructive criticism most of the time, not just plain complaint...
Unfortunately,it seems that no one listens :disagree:

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 20 Jan 2006, 22:14

yeah, sure firend, but I think we should lay our criticism, constructive or not, when we are sure of what we are talking about, when we have solid concepts of it.. who knows you´ll play heroes V with these so named flaws and like it even more than the old ways?? Just that, no intrigues!
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

FatalTheRabbit
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FatalTheRabbit » 20 Jan 2006, 22:16

Umm, but you see we know a lot about how Heroes V will play, because we played the 4 versions before this, and nival is using the same basic combat system as all the others.
Don't touch me I'm super important.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 20 Jan 2006, 23:30

sure, sure... We shall see then, friend. I´m sure we all will love it!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Jan 2006, 00:14

Im not.There were plenty of people that hated HIV,so there will be plenty of us that will hate HV.I personaly am not sure.I know that I might find the story interesting,but graphics and most of the gameplay I find bad.Therefore its more likely I will be among those that wont like HV.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”