Rune of Charge.....bit too swingy?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Rune of Charge.....bit too swingy?

Unread postby loran16 » 07 Mar 2007, 16:12

I've noticed that the power of dwarven forces in the early game (and a little in late game) is ridiculously enhanced by a hero with the rune of charge.

Now, you have a 50% chance of getting the rune, and if you don't get it in a multiplayer game, you seem to be extremely disadvantaged compared to other factions (As none of the other runes make the ability as good as any of the other specials.) It just seems like its too swingy that after the 1st week youll either be in strong shape or in rather bad shape.

Anyone else feel this way?

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 07 Mar 2007, 19:34

Just as a warlock that rushed implosion and get chain lightning + armageddon, and is fucked ?
Yeah this is bad but that akes the game interresting !
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 07 Mar 2007, 19:47

I dont really agree that these are the same circumstances...., sure the warlock lost his best spell, but its in a high level structure that is known to be random. A 1st level rune you can acquire on one of the first few days robs all hope out of the dwarven player, wheras that warlock isnt going to lose all of his early fun from week 1.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 07 Mar 2007, 19:48

Well rune of berserking is still deadly after a while. You just have to learn to adapt.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

atma6
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby atma6 » 08 Mar 2007, 01:07

Yeah, it may be a small hit, but its not like the Rune of Berserking isn't a great rune either.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 08 Mar 2007, 14:18

I think that the problem isn't that you may not get the rune you want, but rather the availability of other runes. By design, you cannot get runes anywhere except a fortress town. If you are looking for a particular spell (particularly a level 1 or 2 spell), every town on the map gives you another chance for them, and for high-level spells, half the towns give you a chance to get what you want. Thus, you don't feel the impact of missing a spell as much. Yes, there are times when you have six towns and none of them have eldritch arrow, but that is rare. However, if you do not have a second fortress on the map, you cannot get both runes of any given level.

Of course, the runes are quite powerful, particularly for a higher-level hero with the various abilties to reduce resource cost, and in the late game when resources are abundant anyway, so it probably balances out.

Personally, I think that the rune guild should have another 2 levels, and building level 4 gives the other level 1 rune, level 5 gives the other level 2 rune. Make these levels very resource-intensive if this seems too powerful.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Rune of Charge.....bit too swingy?

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Mar 2007, 22:04

loran16 wrote:I've noticed that the power of dwarven forces in the early game (and a little in late game) is ridiculously enhanced by a hero with the rune of charge.

Now, you have a 50% chance of getting the rune, and if you don't get it in a multiplayer game, you seem to be extremely disadvantaged compared to other factions (As none of the other runes make the ability as good as any of the other specials.) It just seems like its too swingy that after the 1st week youll either be in strong shape or in rather bad shape.

Anyone else feel this way?
The rune of charge is extremely powerful. Really too powerful for a level 1 spell.

I don't agree that the dwarves are at a disadvantage without it. There are other very nice runes and the runemage can cast a rune spell every time any of their creatures has a turn and can cast a normal spell whenever the heroe gets a turn. Overall the runemage is the best spellcaster in the game because of this.

The dwarves can also easily develop secondary heroes and one dwarven hero gets free rune spells as a special. The ability to get free level ups for your secondary heroes is godly. Level up the heroe that gets free spells to fill in the rune spells that are missing from your rune guild.

And unlike certain other racial specials (cough..artificer) their racial special can be used early in the game.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Starbatron
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Starbatron » 09 Mar 2007, 15:26

I don't know that the dwarves are really at any kind of disadvantage without it. It seems that may be a little overpowered compared to some of the other factions, though perhaps that means the other factions that are weaker should be brought up to their level, rather than nerfing them to bring them down.

atma6
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby atma6 » 09 Mar 2007, 15:35

Really being able to pretty much cross the field with every creature you have is really overpowered especially for only one wood. I would either limit its effect (50 percent increase) or increase its cost and rune level.

Now what I think would be a good idea is to tie the effect of runes to a stat like artificier. For example lets say spellpower, with their initial spell power the rune gives the creature and increase of 10 percent speed, but as you gain more spellpower you would reach up to a 100 percent increase. This would apply to all runes.

durin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby durin » 18 Mar 2007, 16:17

I have played the fortress quite a bit and I find the initial weeks extremely difficult if I don't get the Rune of Charge. Does anyone have any strategies they use to make up for this? :|

Return to “Heroes V-VI”