Single Player Map Playing Contest?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Single Player Map Playing Contest?

Unread postby Psychobabble » 14 Feb 2007, 03:01

Hey guys. I'm looking in to the possibility of doing a single player map-playing/score contest similar to the couple we ran for H4. I'm thinking the format will be every week, or perhaps two, there would be a new map (not CD maps, ones from CH) to play. Participants could submit their top score for that map within the week and points would be awarded at the end of the week based on your position. There would be a set amount of rounds (somewhere between 5 and 10) and the winner would get, well, fame and glory :).

A few things I need to work out (and I need help with this because I don't know nearly enough about the game):

* Is this feasible with the H5 scoring system? Ie is the score system a reasonable judge of play skill and would players be differentiated enough? The H4 one worked very well, especially once Pepak put together a guide on how it was calculated. If the score system isn't appropriate, is there another reasonable way to compare players (eg. Map stats)?

* Would people be interested in this? I'd probably on run it if there were at least 10 players.

Details, like maps and whether or not expansion would be included can be worked out at a later date, I'm just working out these general things atm.

fiur
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Single Player Map Playing Contest?

Unread postby fiur » 14 Feb 2007, 09:20

Psychobabble wrote:Hey guys. I'm looking in to the possibility of doing a single player map-playing/score contest similar to the couple we ran for H4. I'm thinking the format will be every week, or perhaps two, there would be a new map (not CD maps, ones from CH) to play. Participants could submit their top score for that map within the week and points would be awarded at the end of the week based on your position. There would be a set amount of rounds (somewhere between 5 and 10) and the winner would get, well, fame and glory :).

A few things I need to work out (and I need help with this because I don't know nearly enough about the game):

* Is this feasible with the H5 scoring system? Ie is the score system a reasonable judge of play skill and would players be differentiated enough? The H4 one worked very well, especially once Pepak put together a guide on how it was calculated. If the score system isn't appropriate, is there another reasonable way to compare players (eg. Map stats)?

* Would people be interested in this? I'd probably on run it if there were at least 10 players.

Details, like maps and whether or not expansion would be included can be worked out at a later date, I'm just working out these general things atm.
Well I'm "in" :)
I've made a few calculation examples here:

Map: M diff: Normal days: 10 score: 11046
Hard 10 score: 13256
Heroic 10 score: 15465

Map: L diff: Normal days: 40 score: 4159
Hard 40 score: 5026
Heroic 40 score: 5864

Map: XL diff: Normal days: 60 score: 3761
Hard 60 score: 4513
Heroic days 60 score: 5265

I was a big fan of the last map competition and one of the Players of MOTW/MOTM @ www.h3trio several years ago...... ;)

Mystic Phoenix
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mystic Phoenix » 14 Feb 2007, 20:42

We have an offline tournament on Drachenwald now for half a year, one map per month and it just works fine. I'm quite sure there might be some participants from our site in your tourney.

Scoring of the maps seems only to depend on days played. We added some points for number of towns, grail and defeating all enemies. but we are currently discussing a new formula. If we agree on one, I will tell you if you are interested.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Feb 2007, 21:43

The Round Table Battles... Return! :-D

Amis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Amis » 14 Feb 2007, 21:44

Mystic Phoenix wrote:We have an offline tournament on Drachenwald now for half a year, one map per month and it just works fine. I'm quite sure there might be some participants from our site in your tourney.

Scoring of the maps seems only to depend on days played. We added some points for number of towns, grail and defeating all enemies. but we are currently discussing a new formula. If we agree on one, I will tell you if you are interested.
Maybe playing with good heroes, for example Deleb, could give less points than playing with the ones with worse speciality.

I'm interest too.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 15 Feb 2007, 00:05

Cool!

Perhaps I'll dig up HoF and play it again!

I'll play. How does it work though? :)
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Feb 2007, 03:00

One possible hang up, I have noticed the times I have used a cheat, the map score did not seem to be affected (not sure about that) where as in H-IV, you use a cheat and your score was 0.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 15 Feb 2007, 22:52

jeff wrote:One possible hang up, I have noticed the times I have used a cheat, the map score did not seem to be affected (not sure about that) where as in H-IV, you use a cheat and your score was 0.
:(

I'll probably still run it, but this is a bit of an annoyance. More info in the next week or so, thx for comments.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 16 Feb 2007, 02:07

Well I would hope most of the people that frequent this forum would be honest :cantsee: about using cheats and refrain from using them in the contest. Just have them verify that no cheats were used ;) , and since money is not involved that should be good enough. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 16 Feb 2007, 07:23

Right, when I tried to figure out the score equations for CH game guide, I was dissapointed to see its simplicity. Just the time and map sice factors. I do not know if the calculation can be modded or scripted over. One idea would be to take a screenshot from the victory details that are displayed after winning a map and make a new equation out from those values.

PS. in addition to cheat codes not showing up in score window like Jeff said, using game mods is something a contest judge can hardly track.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 16 Feb 2007, 07:58

Are you going to send out every participant already a saved game or just announce that everybody has to win a certain map? Restarting a map makes a great difference, not that I have any objections against it. ;)

Which reminds me - is there a formula that calculates the score? It was a very important tool when I was participating in a H3 tournament here at CH.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 16 Feb 2007, 08:09

arturchix wrote:is there a formula that calculates the score?
The rough equations that I found out a few patches ago are like:

M (normal) sized map score = ( 109373/ time_spent + 109) * difficulty modifier

L sized map score = ( 161184/ time_spent + 159) * difficulty modifier

XL sized map score = ( 212992/ time_spent + 211) * difficulty modifier
The difficulty modifiers are 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, and 1.4 for easy, normal, hard and heroic, respectively.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 17 Feb 2007, 02:11

arturchix wrote:Are you going to send out every participant already a saved game or just announce that everybody has to win a certain map? Restarting a map makes a great difference, not that I have any objections against it. ;)
Nothing wrong with re-starting.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 17 Feb 2007, 11:06

I would say, put a savegame in week 1 day 1and everyonw hsould follow from that...

Khan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Khan » 20 Feb 2007, 20:39

hi everyone,

i´m new in this Forum, but i´d like to join any offline map contest. So far i´m member of the Forum "Drachenwald", a german Forum and there i´m already playing a similar contest as "Map of the Month".

The rules there:

One save (month 1, week 1, day 1) is uploaded in a seperate download section, so anyone who wants to participate can download this save and play from this start. At the end of month the winner is the one needing the smallest amount of days. Also bonuses es can be discussed, for defeating all enemies, capture all towns, digging out Tear of Asha etc.
The most funny on this contest is a discussion - topic about this Save and comparing strategies about to solve it.

greets

Khan

Return to “Heroes V-VI”