Dwarven Strategy (work in progress)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 22 Jan 2007, 15:09

And this is the best thing about the dwarves. None of the skills are bad (really) and they are very versatile. I have had just as much success with pure magic based dwarves as I have had in the builds without any magic skills at all. They can be used very offensively (charge rune does wonders) or very defensively, or anything in between. Now some of their skills do work well together, with some of the combo's seemingly built with a specific enemy in mind, but even if you don't take those combos you can still wreck havoc on your enemies.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Lord Zeus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Lord Zeus » 22 Jan 2007, 15:33

Could somebody explain how Brand's specialty works?
Fine rune gives 50% chance for free rune.
Brand starts with 20%+1% per level.
Does that mean that at level 30 he has 50%+50%=100% chance or does he have 50%*150%=75%?

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 22 Jan 2007, 15:40

From the way I understand it at level 30 fine rune would give 100% chance of using runes free. Or that is the way I read it :).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Lord Zeus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Lord Zeus » 22 Jan 2007, 15:43

Mytical wrote:From the way I understand it at level 30 fine rune would give 100% chance of using runes free. Or that is the way I read it :).
That would be great but I think some people could(would) find it overpowering. Even at level 10 you have 80% chance to not use resources. At 100% you can spam rune of ressurection/charge/dragonform.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 22 Jan 2007, 16:03

Actually no you can't or not really. See each rune (without refresh rune) can only be used once. Sure you can use rune, refresh, use rune, ect but you have to redo the runes or you can not use them. If you use all your runes then refresh is random (and can give you just aboubt any of the used runes).

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 22 Jan 2007, 16:19

Mytical wrote:Thanks :).

Ok the creatures.

Black Bear Rider - the paw strike is great. Not only does it mean no retal, but it negates any initiative the enemy unit has gathered. Another must upgrade.
Note that if the after the paw-strike the enemy is still adjacent to the black bear (this can easily happen- particularly near the edges of the battlefield), then there will still be a retaliation. I have used this against the AI several times by attacking from a place where my creature cannot be shoved backwards, only sideways. When the black bear attacks, the paw-strike goes to the side, and so I still get the retaliation.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 23 Jan 2007, 10:42

I have come to the conclusion that the search function of the board has it out for me. It's a conspiracy I tell ya! I know I have seen somewhere the explination of specials (though I do know the name of them) and abilities of the dwarven heroes. Can't find them, however, with the search feature. One day I will conquer my chaotic mind (and just think I do my job on a computer, so I should be able to do most of the things I just can't seem to grasp).

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Jan 2007, 16:06

A few things I noticed lately:

Mark of fire can be resisted.

Rune of dragon form gives just +100% of target unit's stats. The hero's stats are irrelevant so better for higher tier creatures.

Some interesting combos:

Teleport berserker near multiple units->rune of battlerage->rage(with luck hopefully) all over.
Blackbear riders attacking multiple targets with rune of battlerage may cause them all to be knocked backwards and lose their initiative. Funny as well! :D

I have a question: It may be random but whenever I attack an adjacent unit with blackbears it is never knocked back. Do you NEED to charge first?
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Lord Zeus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Lord Zeus » 23 Jan 2007, 16:21

Elvin wrote: I have a question: It may be random but whenever I attack an adjacent unit with blackbears it is never knocked back. Do you NEED to charge first?
I haven't found the formula yet, but I suspect that it's something like 5%+5-10% per tile walked. Maybe that's why it doesn't happen, the chance may be to low.

Mightor Magic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mightor Magic » 24 Jan 2007, 00:55

Doesn't Runic Machines also affect the Catapult? I use that with Luck to take down castles.

I don't recommend attack because Offensive Formation doesn't gel all that well with Runes and Retribution is wishful thinking. Defensive Formation/{Other skill} offers more possibilties. I forget the name but it is the one that gives you two attacks while Defending.

Is it possible to Charge, go Etheral and then defend?

Luck, Magic, Defense, War Machines and Runes are my usual Dwarf skills. Other skill depends on Hero and what I'm offered.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 26 Jan 2007, 08:06

Quick question, just started playing fortress today and i'm back to bein a newbie again, any ideas on what Dwarven heroes are best and at the end of the 1st week, what do you all think i should definatly have built. Thanks in advance

Return to “Heroes V-VI”