Will H-V run on Windows Vista?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Mar 2007, 00:52

I would say no. Idea of effective computer system has nothing common only with game console on pc. That is very expensive solution. (compared to Xbox for example)

Suprisingly more people is working on linux kernels than on microsoft ones if we can compare and estimate into the future the linux(es) can overrun Windows in many parametres. They can do that if they will sustain at least current development curve.

DRM - I bet that it will be disabled in Vista soon. Same like genuine verification and others "enhancements". Just switch on/off - I would guess that in Ultimate Corporate edition it will be such option natively - though hidden, perhaps.

The support of DXxx is proprietary thingy has nothing to do with ability too. Generally designing good OS is much easier than Microsoft would like too :D.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 05 Mar 2007, 09:59

Campaigner wrote:Dude....what's your problem with Vista..?
My problems with Vista are the same as those of the authors of the article I posted the link to. To outline: DRM, proprietary standards, ridiculous licensing restrictions, and loss of backwards compatiblity.
And as long as Microsofts OSs are better then the rest with games, people will use it. Do any linux dist support Dx 10..?
Linux does not support DirectX (natively, at least) because it's a proprietary Microsoft technology, designed from the ground up to be incompatible with anything but Windows.

What really matters is not support of a particular API - both DirectX and OpenGL, the latter being an open standard available on Linux and Mac as well as Windows, are in reality thin wrappers around the hardware, and most of the burden is laid on the video card. Performance, therefore, is nearly the same with either API, and it depends on the quality of video drivers. Luckily, apart from the NVIDIA and ATI drivers being non-free (which is bad), they're otherwise on par in Windows and Linux in terms of performance and capabilities.

So in reality, the choice of the API is up to the game developer's preference. If more games used OpenGL instead of DirectX, there would be more native Linux games - and more native Mac games as well, since there's no DirectX on Mac either. It has nothing to do with Windows being allegedly inherently better as a gaming platform; this is total nonsense.

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

hey sikon

Unread postby nevermindspy » 05 Mar 2007, 20:34

Any idea what makes developer companies to choose directx over opengl , I mean business wise sense would say that a platform that more people can use will bring more money simply because your target crowd is bigger , But i guess there are other considerations in play here.. any thoughts as to what they are?

I think games and directx is the main reason i have to "settle" for using this peice of junk known as windows instead of using the amazing capabilties of linux.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 06 Mar 2007, 01:14

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 06 Mar 2007, 09:47

Delete this post.
Last edited by Campaigner on 07 Mar 2007, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 06 Mar 2007, 10:49

Eh? Where's the link?

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby nevermindspy » 07 Mar 2007, 09:17

Campaigner wrote:Game performance on Windows Vista

This article will show you that memoryintense games run better on Vista then WinXP. So Vista is the future.
Are you high? Or maybe you didn't read the articale?

First of all this totally long and kinda pointless articale which i have no idea why the heck it says there to install win xp first before installing vista (maybe the writer is high too)
Second of all no where does it say there vista run games better then winxp

here's a quote :
"As for Vista, that's another story. Like any major software launch, Vista's going through some growing pains, and it will probably be a few months before all the kinks get worked out. I'm enjoying it so far, but I still have this fear that some random piece of software or hardware might not work with it. In a few months, as DirectX 10 games start to come out, we'll have some compelling reasons to upgrade to Vista, but as it stands, there's no big rush to upgrade right this minute. Start rounding up the hardware now, back up whatever files you need, so when the time comes to upgrade to Vista, you'll be ready. "

And lastly do you belive anything you read? I care only about heroes 5 for games and i've tested it on my computer on a fresh install of winxp and a fresh install of vista and it runs much slower on vista period case close bring me 1000 articales and you can't change that fact.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 07 Mar 2007, 14:26

Found the article. Was the same as the memorymanagement one.
Clicky

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 09 Jun 2007, 13:44

I thought I’d bump this one back up as I may well buy a new laptop before the end of the summer, and it will almost certainly come with Vista. I went on the official forum’s tech support discussion and saw UBI’s position is that it’s a definite maybe whether H-V will run on a Vista machine, all depending on the hardware/driver configuration of the machine. Since Microsoft traditionally supports an OS for about 2 years after it’s replaced, unless UBI plans on fixing the Vista situation H-V’s shelf life will be among the shortest of any of the Heroes franchise, reducing the desirability of owning it unless, like me, you already own it. The sad fact is in less than 2 years Windows Fiji (Vista 2) will likely be released and within 2 years of that Windows Vienna. Both of these OS updates will significantly change the previous version. This almost certainly means that any game suffering problems under Vista will likely be unplayable on these later OS’s. Obviously this is speculation on my part; Microsoft may enhance its compatibility function so they will run earlier OS programs better than either XP/Vista. Volunteers will be taken for anyone wanting to hold their breath on that happening. Perhaps this is what UBI wants, when H-VI is released all previous Heroes will be unplayable on the then current OS.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Jun 2007, 14:03

I have Vista and H5 runs like a charm for me, FWIW.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 09 Jun 2007, 14:33

That's good to hear and I have seen several posts stating the same, I guess my concern would be if UBI did not make changes to Tribes that would clean up the problems reported by other users. I suspect Service Pak 1 for Vista may well fix several of the issues.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Jun 2007, 15:27

I suspect people who have problems have slightly older computers that were not specifically designed to run Vista. Also, I have not tried running my new computer in XP, so I don't have a comparison - maybe H5 would run even better under XP on my computer? I don't know.. but I can just say that I personally have yet to experience any problem with any program under Vista.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2007, 18:39

Having to design your hardware for software... the way of the future. Gone are the days when it was the other way around. :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”