Will H-V run on Windows Vista?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Will H-V run on Windows Vista?

Unread postby addicted » 15 Jan 2007, 14:44

Windows Vista will be released in Feb, 2007.
I read on Gamespot at
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6154735/index.html most games made for Windows XP will run with a DirectX 9.0L but I didn't see any Might & Magic games listed.. hmmmm

I was wondering if H-V/HOF will run on the Vista format since the new operating system will also have a completely new DirectX 10 format which is suppose to be completely different than the previous DirectX versions except for Microsofts DirectX 9.OL? Does anyone know?
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 15 Jan 2007, 15:23

All XP-time released games should work fine on Vista, tho they could be a bit slower at start while driver support will be weaker.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 15 Jan 2007, 15:55

And you must add 512 mb RAM to your PC.
Ive total 512 of RAM - and I can play H5 (except for XL maps) on XP. But Vista with Aero on takes about 600 mb just for itself.
Crappy OS if you ask me.

Oh.. and for others Vista issues visit badvista.org

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

Yo

Unread postby nevermindspy » 15 Jan 2007, 19:56

I've already tried it on vista its runs alright but problem is.. - i have 1.25GB RAM and vista just takes up too much so it runs alot better on xp then on vista.(faster...)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 15 Jan 2007, 22:22

I have 1.5 GB RAM and have no plans to put Vista on my current computer. My computer runs Heroes 5 fantastically, as well as all my other games too; and I'm not planning on buying a new computer for a few more years at least. I guess my computer will have to go into obsolete mode before I get a new one. Why mess with something that works so well already?
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Jan 2007, 23:10

I agree with Hodge. I bought my computer last April and have no intentions of buying a new one for at least several more years, nor do I plan on upgrading to Vista which I assume is still in a buggy state and a long time will pass until it is brought up to par. I'm also not particularly thrilled at the thought that Vista would be hogging a large amount of my system resources. :|

Recently, I have read an article in a serious computer magazine, wherein the author predicts that by the end of 2007 only 5% of computers will have been using the business edition of Windows Vista, and only 15% by the end of 2008. It's a tentative prediction, but I tend to agree.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 16 Jan 2007, 01:43

Same for me, no Vista for me, i'll wait until service pack 1 to.... 15 comes out and then try to reconsider!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Jan 2007, 02:27

Metathron wrote:5% of computers will have been using the business edition of Windows Vista, and only 15% by the end of 2008.
Large companies take their time to upgrade the software on their desktops, especially the OS. When you have thousands of computer connected to a network, a serious security glitch in a new OS can cause a lot of trouble.

My machine is nearly 5 five years (and running Heroes V and Dark Messiah well enough). No Vista for me.

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

BTW

Unread postby nevermindspy » 16 Jan 2007, 05:33

To everyone... Vista is Awesome i suppose with 2GB RAM i would probably keep it.. if you got alot of RAM you really should try it to ,its really very BEATIFULE...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 16 Jan 2007, 12:51

But is it practical? Is it safe? How long have you been using it?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 16 Jan 2007, 14:59

As for you that have problems with ram there is one neat feature in Vista.

Any usb flash drive can be used for virtual memory (and thus emulate the ram) which should increase the overall performance..

I have 1 Gig USB stick that acts as a support RAM on my home computer and there is considerable growth in performance when compared to using hard drive space for same task..

Note that it still cant be as effective as 1 gig of pure ram would be but if you have usb memory, why not use it :))

However, price of Vista is way to high and it wont bring you much good on todays average PC.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 19 Jan 2007, 23:08

I've got a perfectly capable Vista machine but don't really intend to put Vista on it until I am forced to.

FYI: Win XP is scheduled to be in its main life cycle another 2 years. Then for 2 more years after that you should still be able to get security updates from Windows Update.

Until must-have hardware or software is released that is effectively Vista only I don't really see the purpose of upgrading to Vista ....

Contrary to what others may say I do thing that Vista will very shortly be as or more secure than XP.

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Re: BTW

Unread postby val-gaav » 20 Jan 2007, 00:31

nevermindspy wrote:To everyone... Vista is Awesome i suppose with 2GB RAM i would probably keep it.. if you got alot of RAM you really should try it to ,its really very BEATIFULE...
Ever tried Linux +XGL or AIGLX???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fedo ... -AIGLX.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Comp ... 4-2006.png

and you can have it working well with even 512 ram ....

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 20 Jan 2007, 05:49

I will go to Vista only when forced by the need for DirectX 10. It looks damned good, but it takes a $500 graphics card to take advantage of it. All the TV stuff, I can live without.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

DeejMaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DeejMaster » 20 Jan 2007, 22:34

You know, I don't use any more functions on my computer now, than I did when I had Windows 95, with the exception of 3rd party programs that work alot better than anything that came with XP. So, why in the world would I invest in a OS that would eat up my current resources? If Windows 95 was still supported, our computers could dedicate nearly all resources to games and applications.

If you think XP is a resource hog, wait until you "upgrade" to Vista.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 21 Jan 2007, 08:12

Yes it will, but Vista is such a pile of crap that it's a wonder why you even bother.

murasamune
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby murasamune » 21 Jan 2007, 09:19

its incredibly easy to hate microsoft just for being microsoft. its a lot harder to actually look at what they're putting out and see how its actually better. try reading up on it before you automatically hate it and post some more reasons why its bad.
so far ive seen
it costs too much
why upgrade when i dont need to?
its a memory hog

it costs too much? how dare microsoft try to make money for something its spent time developing

why upgrade?
youre right! you dont need to.

its a memory hog
click memory management

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 21 Jan 2007, 09:30

Hmm my computer sulks when I just try to run HoMM5 sometimes...I have 512 ram..and I don't want to upgrade or buy a new computer right now (not that I can't afford one, but personally I like to make things last as long as possible). Also though I don't mind Microsoft it has a proven track record. When it updates windows there are always security holes in it. Not sometimes, not most of the time, but every time. When they plug the holes, I will deffinately ditch the old comp and get a new one, which will come with Vista, so why buy it seperate? :)

(ps is it just me or does it seem they get the old one secure just in time to announce the new one? Maybe 6 months usually, if that. Could be my imagination though hehe).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 21 Jan 2007, 09:57

I too won't go for Vista for at least several years - it will need lots of drivers and patches to be released, so that it works properly and most of my current games could run on it.

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby val-gaav » 21 Jan 2007, 12:03

murasamune wrote: it costs too much? how dare microsoft try to make money for something its spent time developing
Yeah how dare they ... you obviously do not see the problem the the price is a bit too much .....
Also while there are good free alternatives like GNU/Linux FreeBSD.... good question why pay so much money for Vista ?
why upgrade?
youre right! you dont need to.
Eventually you will have to upgrade ... no security updates from MS ... also software developers may stop supporting XP just like some of them stopped supporting 98 and 2000.
its a memory hog
I've seen Vista and it's 3d environment to take 500 MB RAM on a comp ... Now why other 3d desktops in other OS do not require so much RAM ???

BTW add to the list
- DRM system build in the kernel. I'm curious so many people here were against Starforce in HoMM5 but they are OK with the DRMs ??

Interesting links :
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;261269498
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/390

Return to “Heroes V-VI”