Who you gonna call?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
prelati
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Who you gonna call?

Unread postby prelati » 22 Dec 2006, 18:08

Just a brief rant...

The most irritating creature in the game just has to be the ghost. Nothing gives me that 'screw this - I'm going to boot up minesweeper!' feeling quite like seeing a map littered with the infuriating little beggars. Watching one 'miss' result after another as they slowly nibble away at my army makes me want to stick my keyboard through the monitor.

Does anybody actually like these unneccesary undead underachievers? Is there are more irritating critter in the game?

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 22 Dec 2006, 18:58

Isn't that exactly what makes the game fun? That touch of uncertainty?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 Dec 2006, 19:13

Indeed JJ. I like them and with that Incororability rune for the dwarves, all of those Fortress units can turn into "ghosts" aint that funny? Oh yes :D Ghosts both in real life and in games, films are supposed to be annoying you know, scary and such :devious:

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 22 Dec 2006, 19:34

I not a big fan OR hater of the ghost.

If I were designing the game I suspect that I would use a different metric than a simple 50% total miss chance.

I would think that a "huge" defense rating [given their level] would be more appropriate ... I.E. you might miss one or two but on average you should still hit something in that huge stack .... Therefore a huge defense rating or something similar would be appropriate.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 22 Dec 2006, 19:35

Ghosts aren't so bad...*attacks with War Dancers*miss
*attacks with Master Hunters* miss miss

Aw, screw this.

Druid Elders cast Lightning bolt on Ghosts....*ghost dying sounds*. Ah, much better.

To answer the question, I don't like them, but in town defense, IMO, they rock (them and Zombies).
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby erased. over. out » 22 Dec 2006, 21:46

winterfate wrote: Druid Elders cast Lightning bolt on Ghosts....*ghost dying sounds*. Ah, much better.
As far as I understand, aren't Ghosts/Spectres incapable of "missing" spells? I scratched my head the time I cast Fist of Wrath on a stack of Ghosts, only to find "Miss!" floating promptly in red letters. It's never happened again though. Strange... :S

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Dec 2006, 21:58

Fist of Wrath is considered as doing "physical" damage, so it can (as the only spell) miss the Ghosts. OTOH, it can hit Black Dragons...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby erased. over. out » 22 Dec 2006, 22:05

Gaidal Cain wrote:Fist of Wrath is considered as doing "physical" damage, so it can (as the only spell) miss the Ghosts. OTOH, it can hit Black Dragons...
Ahh, I see. Now it makes sense. :D

aulfgar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby aulfgar » 22 Dec 2006, 22:34

Ghost busters!!

I am very pleased with ghosts as they stand now. The global counter makes it alot more reasonable to attack them physically. I do wish that obviously magical attacks should hit them auto as well, IE Mage, Druid, Succubus, Sprite.

XD

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 23 Dec 2006, 02:10

I don’t care for them, they suffer from the ability-always-triggers-for-AI-never-for-you-:P! syndrome, like minotaurs in H4. As it stands they seem to be either completely screwed or completely invincible (barring spellcasters which I always seem to be short on). Personally I’d prefer if it were something like 10% total miss chance, 10% no miss, then for the percents in between gradually stepping up the percentage of damage that got through. That way it’d be more like 50% damage-25% damage-Full damage-Miss, rather than Miss-Miss-Hit-Miss-Hit.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 23 Dec 2006, 02:23

I take them as they are, great when I play Necro (especially if I get "haunted mines"), and a bit of a challenge when they are opponents.

I usually try to avoid them until I get decent spells or casters, but usually find that the 50% rule works quite well. If one missile troops misses, the next one hits. Not always, but it's in my favour as often as it isn't, so 50% seems to work.

I have only patched to 1.3, and have yet to get HoF so I can't comment on the Dwarven ability to become incorporeal (Is that right?).

If Dwarven units can do this, albeit with a spell, I expect the poor little things are wondering what on earth is happening to them. They aren't supposed to like magikery, or do I play too much D&D?

One thing is for sure, it will mess up the annual dwarf throwing competition, they will fly straight through the wall instead of sticking to the target with their pointed helmets like they should! :D
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 23 Dec 2006, 04:19

I have only patched to 1.3, and have yet to get HoF so I can't comment on the Dwarven ability to become incorporeal (Is that right?).
Yes they can...it's one of their runes. :)
Lasts for one turn only though.
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 23 Dec 2006, 11:06

Lasts for one turn only though.
Yes, but makes your opponent think "Not ANOTHER ghost!!!" :D

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 23 Dec 2006, 16:41

They certainly can be annoying, but that's all part of their charm. And I concur with Kareeah's assessment of the "ability-always-triggers-for-AI-never-for-you-:P! syndrome". :)
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 26 Dec 2006, 03:25

Gaidal Cain wrote:Fist of Wrath is considered as doing "physical" damage, so it can (as the only spell) miss the Ghosts. OTOH, it can hit Black Dragons...
Cool! I hadn't thought to use it on Blackies. :-D

For Ghosties & other incorporeals, I try to have a nice cold Ice Bolt or an electrifying Lightning Bolt handy.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Jan 2007, 00:18

Jolly Joker wrote:Isn't that exactly what makes the game fun? That touch of uncertainty?
Considering that its a game of strategy and not roulette,no thats not what makes the game fun.A much better thing would be to make incoporeal decrease all physical damage by 50%,in a way bad luck does.

aulfgar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby aulfgar » 04 Jan 2007, 04:40

HodgePodge wrote:
Cool! I hadn't thought to use it on Blackies. :-D
One of my first games was playing as Dungeon and some lame wizard going Fist of Wrath on my poor Blackies. I have since learned that 7th level troops now die on a semi regular basis against enemy heroes. :(

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 04 Jan 2007, 07:11

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote:Isn't that exactly what makes the game fun? That touch of uncertainty?
Considering that its a game of strategy and not roulette,no thats not what makes the game fun.A much better thing would be to make incoporeal decrease all physical damage by 50%,in a way bad luck does.
The uncertainty in the Luck department is just the same because you cannot rely on it. It triggers or it doesn't. "Strategy" doesn't depend on the Ghosts, it depends on how you go at them and deal with them, forcing you to use different "strategy". You are mistaking strategy for total calculability.

sezerp
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sezerp » 04 Jan 2007, 08:42

While I agree it is OK to have random factor in strategy game (we have it in real life too after all), I sometimes have the feeling it is a bit too big in HoMM V. (initial ATB during battle is IMHO good example)

Speaking about ghost in particular, personally I don't have the problem with that the effect is random. The problem (if any) is that it is 'all-or-nothing'. Perhaps if the 'miss' effect was weaker (as DL suggested), but they had more defence they would be overall better unit.
OTOH I like to use them as they are if I can get them for free (hero Nathir (IIRC), Haunted Mines)

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 04 Jan 2007, 09:27

The all-or-nothing problem is not Ghost specific. Unicorns, Nightmares, Squires, Militia, Master Hunters, Spear Wielders, Blackbear Riders. Luck and Morale (and Minotaurs).

Return to “Heroes V-VI”