Cranky Hero

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 11 Jan 2006, 02:43

DaemianLucifer wrote:And thus the HodgePodge's crusade begins once more :devil:
Not really, I think I'll leave the "crusade" to others. I've said all I have to say at this point about the SF issue. But when someone thinks only about pleasing the "masses" … then this really isn't the place they should be calling home. The Round Table & Celestial Heavens is and has always been the gathering place for loyal Heroes of Might & Magic fans to discuss elements of the game.

Anyhow, I thought Mr. CH's comment was appropriate, timely and funny. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 11 Jan 2006, 05:15

Sorry but I'm afraid that with all of these praises, Cranky Hero would lose his edge and be just a shaddow of his former self. In order to keep the edge I believe you will need the following comments:

:baby: Cranky Hero sucks

:mad: Lighten up Francis

:( Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

:S Where'd you learn to draw Shaker College?

:| Keep up the crappy work!

And then go cry to mammy :ill:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 11 Jan 2006, 08:48

HodgePodge wrote:The Round Table & Celestial Heavens is and has always been the gathering place for loyal Heroes of Might & Magic fans to discuss elements of the game.
I don't wish a big argument about this, but I usually find that the addition of "loyal" to Heroes fan (or "true", or whatever) is a bit chilling, since it's almost always used in a very excluding manner ("we, the true heroes fans, thinks A, and B is only for the poor misguided masses"). CH should not be just for the "loyal" fans, because then it'd grow stagnant very soon. That does not mean that every little bit of content should be understandable for the newbie, but it means one should at least think about them. There really isn't, and shouldn't be, a need to separate the two groups.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 11 Jan 2006, 09:35

Also, you have to deal with the actual definitions of loyal and true, etc. Two people might both consider themselves "loyal fans", yet they both regard the other's opinions as un-loyal, and thus not a loyal fan. Seen that sort of thing many times during discussions of this and that concerning games.

Though of course, it's just a phrase that doesn't really mean anything most times ;)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 11 Jan 2006, 14:07

About the comic: Very enjoyable, and a similar one could probably be made for 90% of other games in production :-)

About the masses: A "true" and "loyal" fan of the game should be, IMO, someone who enjoys the games, and respects other's opinions of all aspects of them- even if they disagree. Someone who resorts to insults when someone disagrees with him/her is *not* a fan of the game, only of his/her own opinion. This applies to everything, not just Heroes. ;)

That said, comments made for long-standing community members that may go over the heads of newcomers (such as this comic, you might argue) are perfectly fine. It shows newcomers that there actually is a long-lasting community for it. If they need an explanation, they merely need to ask- and it would help them get welcomed in. :-D

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 11 Jan 2006, 15:27

Good comic, Angel. Another one would be great.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 11 Jan 2006, 16:37

That was a nice one ;|

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 11 Jan 2006, 21:55

Cranky Hero is back.

There's a larger image here.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Jan 2006, 22:01

Haha!Well,at least its not a forge town.

Am I the only one that thinks we are maybe taking games and cartoons too seriously?I mean mailing death threats and boycoting some company might be a step too far,dont you think? :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jan 2006, 22:22

DaemianLucifer wrote:Haha!Well,at least its not a forge town.

Am I the only one that thinks we are maybe taking games and cartoons too seriously?I mean mailing death threats and boycoting some company might be a step too far,dont you think? :devil:
Boycoting not so much... Death threats! Kinda...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 11 Jan 2006, 22:45

Nice work. (Any relation to Grumpy Old Wizard?)

Next I'd like to get a look at lead character...

lordskeleton
Pixie
Pixie
Location: Sweden (You know, polar bears, close to switzerland)

Unread postby lordskeleton » 11 Jan 2006, 23:10

Heh, go Fonclux with Irefelementals and Phinex :D
"Every enemy I've met I've annihilated!"
"Ehm.. Oh yeah?... well... eh... You fight like a cow!"

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 11 Jan 2006, 23:17

I think loyal fan means that you've been with the series through at lease two versions (2-3 or 3-4) and true fan would be someone who has actually been with the game from HOMM1 or HOMM2 and has played all versions and still actively plays the game.

But loyal and true are certainly exclusionary titles that should be taken lightly.

Only TRUE fans stood up to 3DOs Forge ideas and only LOYAL fans know which creatures should be included in the expansion. True fans like upgrades and loyal fans don't.

:vomit:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jan 2006, 23:51

gravyluvr wrote:I think loyal fan means that you've been with the series through at lease two versions (2-3 or 3-4) and true fan would be someone who has actually been with the game from HOMM1 or HOMM2 and has played all versions and still actively plays the game.

But loyal and true are certainly exclusionary titles that should be taken lightly.

Only TRUE fans stood up to 3DOs Forge ideas and only LOYAL fans know which creatures should be included in the expansion. True fans like upgrades and loyal fans don't.

:vomit:
On a completly unrelated note: does anyone know somewhere were i can get HoMM1?
Mostly because i want to be a TRUE fan, not a LOYAL one, mostly because shorter is sweeter, mostly... KICKASS!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 12 Jan 2006, 00:52

Awesome comic Angelspit! :-D

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 12 Jan 2006, 01:23

gravyluvr wrote:
Amen to that.

BTW: AS nice job. It took me a few seconds but I got it!
Be Without Haste
Live the Moment

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 12 Jan 2006, 02:06

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:About the comic: Very enjoyable, and a similar one could probably be made for 90% of other games in production :-)

About the masses: A "true" and "loyal" fan of the game should be, IMO, someone who enjoys the games, and respects other's opinions of all aspects of them- even if they disagree. Someone who resorts to insults when someone disagrees with him/her is *not* a fan of the game, only of his/her own opinion. This applies to everything, not just Heroes. ;)

That said, comments made for long-standing community members that may go over the heads of newcomers (such as this comic, you might argue) are perfectly fine. It shows newcomers that there actually is a long-lasting community for it. If they need an explanation, they merely need to ask- and it would help them get welcomed in. :-D
Thank you, QD, when I was a "newbie" I asked so many questions that some people probably thought I was an escapee from an insane asylum. (Who knows, maybe I am???)

Anyway, my point was, that only us "oldies" will get some of the jokes that Mr. CH conjures up, such as the current Conflux cartoon. That's okay, I just bristle at anyone who doesn't get the punchlines, criticizing the author of the Mr. CH series.

Long live the Angel of ROFLMAS! Image
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 12 Jan 2006, 02:34

Yeah, well you're not being "constructive" at all! I don't see any "masses" here yet, so Mr. CH's comments were defenitely meant only for Heroes fans, who know what the score is regarding SF!

You've been trying to bury the SF issue since the begining of time. So if it's it the "masses'" minds you are after, this isn't the forum in which you should be posting.
Well, well.. seems like HodgePodge continues to make me feel unwelcome at these Forums. My intention was to get more involved in the new forums, with H5 approaching, but alas, I will have to revert back to my non-involvement side, thanks HP.

FYI, I have been visiting CH since 2001 (for maps initially, then news), and I started playing from H2 onwards, and am an avid fan of Heroes in all its conceptions, just ask my wife (does that make me true or loyal?). As my counter suggests however, I am not much of a forum poster, and I usually do not like to get too involved in discussions because of the reasons I am encountering now.

I must say that I don't think I have said anything too overt, and my intention was to be constructive. I will try to remain relatively silent from now on, and avoid upsetting HP any further.

Furay.

PS: The new comic is spot on.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 12 Jan 2006, 03:33

Robenhagen deserves credit for the new strip: not only did he clean up my scan, he applied color, rearranged the cells and made sure I didn't have to draw the characters mutliple times. The next story will be a little more ambitious; I'll probably start working on it during the week-end.

By the way, I need your help to name the new female character. Details are here.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Jan 2006, 04:31

(prepares himself for beating)

How about HodgePodge? :devil:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”