Diversifying battlefields ideas

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
krs
Peasant
Peasant

Diversifying battlefields ideas

Unread postby krs » 15 Dec 2006, 12:35

Hello,

Hmmmmmm... there are lots of threads about what the next race should be, what abilities the creatures shoud have, what names :), etc. It is clear as daylight that there will be a new race in the next expansion, and we should care what it will be! The question is: How much diversity will this actually add to the game? From HoF experience I would say not much. (Don't get me wrong, I like HoF and if it were to me I would like another 2-3 races added at some point, but...)

How about diversifying the battle fields? As I see it, here is the main improvement that can be made to the game. I would like to hear some ideas on new battlefiels. I would like it even more to see them put into practice ;).

I will start.
1) (This is realy simple, 0% original, but very nice): Add the Dwarven Treasury style of battle from H3. So when you are fighting for something from the Dwarven Treasury family, you start sorrounded by enemy troups. Also keep out war machines, this will take "some" a little the "balista heroes". Maybe make battle field a little bigger only for this battles?

2) (also 0% original): Use this fields where you can cast some spells at "expert" level. Also use the H3 cursed grounds, where only low level spells can be cast at basic level.

3) Put on battlefields obstacles to obstruct at least ~10%. This will permit use of different strategies from battle to battle.

4) Ruins Battlefield. Fight for some stuff in a ruin. Everything (~40%?) should be cluttered with obstacles, even your creature placement spots. (so lets say some times you dont have enough space place your dragons at the beginning of battle ?).

krs
Last edited by krs on 15 Dec 2006, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Diversifying battlefields ideas

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Dec 2006, 12:48

krs wrote: 1) (This is realy simple, 0% original, but very nice): Add the Dwarven Treasury style of battle from H3. So when you are fighting for something from the Dwarven Treasury family, you start sorrounded by enemy troups. Also keep out war machines, this will take "some" a little the "balista heroes". Maybe make battle field a little bigger only for this battles?
I miss those too.
krs wrote: 2) (also 0% original): Use this fields where you can cast some spells at "expert" level
Yup,special terrain would be very nice,both on the BF,and as a map diversifier.Although,making it too flashy might slow the game even more.
krs wrote: 3) Put on battlefields obstacles to obstruct at least ~10%. This will permit use of different strategies from battle to battle.
Hmmm...There alrady is too much junk,and no way to remove it(remove obstacle would do wonders now).Sometimes it allows for really unfair battles.
krs wrote: 4) Ruins Battlefield. Fight for some stuff in a ruin. Everything (~40%?) should be cluttered with obstacles, even your creature placement spots. (so lets say some times you dont have enough space place your dragons at the beginning of battle ?).
Yes,this could be interesting.

Personally Id like much bigger BFs with smaller grid tiles(similar to HIV).As for making current BFs more interesting,how about enhancing sieges to include town buildings(targetable by catapults of course)?

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

I was noticing this from the very start

Unread postby nevermindspy » 15 Dec 2006, 15:45

I always assume there was some stupid reason why they desides not to do this , so i thought no point in mentioning it since they will never change it..
BUT hey its worth the shot i think its A MUST !. (talking about crypt ect starting position.)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Dec 2006, 16:44

A bigger and more complex BF was always a good ideea. Of course if they had it their way we'd have a chess board instead of a BF.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 15 Dec 2006, 17:02

I would like a spell that removes obstacles,
but also one that places obstacles kind of like remove obstacle and force field from h3... they should be summoning magic and I think they would be really nice

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 15 Dec 2006, 17:12

A bigger battlefield would be nice. Too many troops can cross the battlefield in a singele turn.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 15 Dec 2006, 20:08

A bigger battlefield would be nice. Too many troops can cross the battlefield in a singele turn.

GOW
That was intentionally done by Nival to make battles go by "quicker". But...yes, I do miss the bigger battlefields :).

As for the ruin battlefield thought by krs, I like it a lot :D (forces you to think WHO you're taking into battle).
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Amis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Amis » 15 Dec 2006, 20:14

okrane wrote:I would like a spell that removes obstacles,
but also one that places obstacles kind of like remove obstacle and force field from h3... they should be summoning magic and I think they would be really nice
They said there will be a spell named arcane crystal (summoning) which made an obstacle.

Maybe there could be terrains where the creatures would lose 25-50% from their speed. Maybe 3 could be the minimum speed though.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 15 Dec 2006, 20:47

That'd be nice. However, I would have such a terrain affect both Speed and Initiative.

Amis wrote:
They said there will be a spell named arcane crystal (summoning) which made an obstacle.
Do you know if the obstacle will be permanent? (Because if it is, you could lock down the battlefield; make it impassable to large creatures).
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 15 Dec 2006, 21:16

I somehow "forgot" about remove/place obstacle spell. okrane placed it good into summoning. Lets say at basic to place some random and at expert to put the obstacles wherewer you want. If I think about it they shoud also have a duration like all other spells.

Gargoyle ability proposal - Petrify -> behave like an obstacle for 3 turns? Once a battle? Oponent should be able to dispell it?

comming back to battefields, I loved the cursed grounds in H3, where you could not realy cast but basic spels.

Amis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Amis » 15 Dec 2006, 21:45

Do you know if the obstacle will be permanent? (Because if it is, you could lock down the battlefield; make it impassable to large creatures).
It's said to have HPs, depending spell power, but don't know if it's 1x1 or 2x2. I think 1x1 would be too small.

I think the idea having battlefields where you maybe can't use all your creatures is good. And the cursed ground would be good too.

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby erased. over. out » 15 Dec 2006, 22:33

I miss the special terrains as well. It'd be nice if cursed ground allowed the hero to cast Dark Magic spells at maximum, but prevented all other types of spells. Perhaps magic plains could do the same for Light and Summoning Magic and negate the "bad" ones (i.e. Destructive and Dark)?

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 15 Dec 2006, 22:46

i think that in certain bfs we already have too many obstacles. although the ruins idea is great (btw, how about raise dead has increased effect in that field?) i think that before it could be done, the battlefield needs to be much bigger, even if only for that type of field.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Dec 2006, 23:19

Remove obstacles should be a universal spell.Would be nice to have 5 universal spells,dont you think?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Dec 2006, 00:28

And have Force Field as a summon spell. And add new spells to all schools.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 16 Dec 2006, 04:42

I like that first idea of having your troops start in the center like in the dwarven treasuries in H III. It was quite a pleasurable surprise to me when it happened to me the first time.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 17 Dec 2006, 16:58

For a simple enhancement, I would like to see varied terrain types. Some would speed up or retard movement of certain factions. Other would affect everyone. We could even bring back the Heroes III enchanted terrain types to give spell casters an occasional boost.

Also, I also would dearly love to bring back the Zone of Control and to allow Large creatures to shield smaller ones. (No more Dwarves protecting Titans like in Heroes IV.)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 17 Dec 2006, 18:02

Caradoc wrote:Other would affect everyone. We could even bring back the Heroes III enchanted terrain types to give spell casters an occasional boost.)
You do realize that those terrains on the whole were more beneficial for non-magic heroes, right?
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Heroes V-VI”