I hate this game (long rant)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

I hate this game (long rant)

Unread postby Romanov77 » 14 Dec 2006, 18:40

Sorry, but I really need to rant.

Let me explain.
Im not a kid, Ive grown up with the Homm saga, but now Ive a work and a University to deal with, so my free time is PRECIOUS AS GOLD.

So...I decided to give this game another chance....in a crazy moment I bought the expansion, downloaded all the latest patches and continued my old abandoned campaign, precisely, the start of sylvan campaign.

Playing on lower difficulty is useless, so I went heroic as usual.

After hours of play, hours during which I fought not only against boring neutral armies and ridiculous scripted armies, but also against:

Spelling errors
Performance drops (my machine runs company of heroes PERFECTLY)
Irritating cartoonish graphics (which out of some mystery weighs more than Doom3 engine)
Non existent AI on combat map
Ridiculous cheesy powerful scripted enemy heroes
Stupid and ugly cutscenes
Boring and "already seen in other games" storyline

And you know what happens after all these hours? When I was about to finish this horrendous campaign scenario, my savegame decides to "go corrupt", basically, the game crashes to the desktop when I try to load it.

A fu..... morning wasted. WASTED. For me its like burning money.

Its outrageous that a game after all this time, patches and an expansion still has these bugs like corrupting savegames, ugly graphics which weighs a TON more that modern day fps, despite the fact that they look a little better than Warcraf3 ones, non dumb adventure map AI, ages long AI turns, and a shitty map editor (seriously...WTF is that thing? its so clumsy and unpratical compared to older games' editors, old Homm versions included)

Enough.
I'll go out venting, and next time, I'll spend my precious gaming time into quality products, like Blizzard games and WHK4K: Dark Crusade nd the old 3DO homm games (HECK! Even Homm4 entertained me more than hommV, at least there I finished all the campaigns)

Im sorry, UBI you failed, big time.
Next time dont hire amateurs like nival and do the job yourself.

Or better, sell the franchise to better company.
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: I hate this game (long rant)

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Dec 2006, 18:51

Romanov77 wrote:Sorry, but I really need to rant.
Go ahead.I do it all the time without ever apologizing :devil:
Romanov77 wrote: And you know what happens after all these hours? When I was about to finish this horrendous campaign scenario, my savegame decides to "go corrupt", basically, the game crashes to the desktop when I try to load it.
Well,I know how this will sound,but nevertheless(or exactly because of it):

Remember people:Multiple saves are your friend.

Now if it was your whole profile that get corrupted(which happened to me :disagree: ),it would be a different story.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 14 Dec 2006, 18:59

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Romanov77 wrote:Sorry, but I really need to rant.
Go ahead.I do it all the time without ever apologizing :devil:
Romanov77 wrote: And you know what happens after all these hours? When I was about to finish this horrendous campaign scenario, my savegame decides to "go corrupt", basically, the game crashes to the desktop when I try to load it.
Well,I know how this will sound,but nevertheless(or exactly because of it):

Now if it was your whole profile that get corrupted(which happened to me :disagree: ),it would be a different story.

I had the upper hand, my army was huge, no enemy in sight...why bothering saving on another slot? Because of Nival suckiness? NO, definetly.

Enough with this game, I wasted all this money and time on it that makes me go berserk...

Back to Company of Heroes and Dark Crusade....
They may have thier share of bugs, but this HommV game for me is still a ugly beta version with a joke campaign included.
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Demiurg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Demiurg » 14 Dec 2006, 19:01

Romanov77 wrote:Its outrageous that a game after all this time, patches and an expansion still has these bugs like ... ugly graphics which weighs a TON more that modern day fps, despite the fact that they look a little better than Warcraf3 ones...
It seems you started the game when it came out and have returned to it now, right? But how can you expect patches to take care of a lot of the things you complain about, such as "ugly", "cartoonish" graphics, "ugly" cutscenes, "boring" storyline? Sounds strange that you somehow thought these things would be magically fixed 6 months later.

Otherwise, you have nothing to apologize about. Vent away!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Dec 2006, 19:05

Demiurg wrote: It seems you started the game when it came out and have returned to it now, right? But how can you expect patches to take care of a lot of the things you complain about, such as "ugly", "cartoonish" graphics, "ugly" cutscenes, "boring" storyline? Sounds strange that you somehow thought these things would be magically fixed 6 months later.
He expected the bugs to be taken care of,at least.As for the storyline,they say FoH is better here,and so are the cutscenes.Besides,its a heroes game.You cant be a real heroes fan if you dont try it,and try it,and try it again,no matter how much you hate it,untill you literally go berzerk over it.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 14 Dec 2006, 19:08

Unfortunately you are right thought I still like it.The game is steadily being improved which I find good but certainly not at the pace it should.There is also a lot of hypocricy involved and not enough work on the project.I can live with that but at the same time I'm glad ubi gets what she deserves.

And no your rant is not long enough! :devil:
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Dec 2006, 19:12

Elvin wrote:I can live with that but at the same time I'm glad ubi gets what she deserves.
It does? :| And here I thought that ubi gets only money.Free money,that is.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 14 Dec 2006, 19:22

Sure,but they gradually lose customers and future profits.
- Metathron

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Dec 2006, 19:27

They do? :| So EA is doomed as well?Those poor guys,sont even know how bleak their futures are.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 14 Dec 2006, 19:33

Especially EA!!
- Metathron

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 14 Dec 2006, 19:58

Sorry, but I really need to rant.
Another satisfied customer :D

Sathasarus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Something to think about

Unread postby Sathasarus » 14 Dec 2006, 20:38

Logical. yes I know, a need for perfection. Breaking your expectations for other peoples standards to be the same as yours is the only way you're going to enjoy this game.

for instance, despite of my ego if i let it show it's existance, i am able to post this to other people w/o the problem of making sure all my sentences are capitalized ("Yes I know...." , " i ") ... point being, enjoy the strategy of heroes, get the chains of war artifact and enjoy the pretty graphics and cheesy storyline because HOMM is a monopoly in it's style.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Dec 2006, 21:28

Romanov77 wrote:

I had the upper hand, my army was huge, no enemy in sight...why bothering saving on another slot? Because of Nival suckiness? NO, definetly.
Bothering with another save slot wouldn't have done much good, i had 3 saves on the same map and they all got corrupted.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 15 Dec 2006, 00:18

cue JJ in 5..4...3..2...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 15 Dec 2006, 02:23

Sir_Toejam, why would Jolly Joker bother. The topic title says it clearly, he isn't changing anyone's mind.

I must say that your mods are making the game much more enjoyable for me.

As for bugs, sure I've encountered a few, and once in a while I get a crash, but honestly Elder Scrolls Daggerfall is the buggiest game I've ever played. Compared to that Heroes V is doing great. I actually gave the game away in frustration after trying to complete for about 3 years.

By the way has the confusion bug been corrected or is that mod still needed?

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 15 Dec 2006, 04:08

PhoenixReborn wrote: … As for bugs, sure I've encountered a few, and once in a while I get a crash, but honestly Elder Scrolls Daggerfall is the buggiest game I've ever played. Compared to that Heroes V is doing great. I actually gave the game away in frustration after trying to complete for about 3 years.
Daggerfall was released almost 10 years ago! If the gaming industry hasn't learned anything in all that time, that is really sad. All they care about is grabbing the money and to he11 with the fans!

I have encountered two game-killing bugs so far in the HoF campaigns. Luckily, I was able to use the @Win() code to escape … but what if some people don't have the ability or desire to use the code? They are stuck. Ubisoft-Nival should hang their heads in SHAME!!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 15 Dec 2006, 04:40

HodgePodge wrote:

Daggerfall was released almost 10 years ago! If the gaming industry hasn't learned anything in all that time, that is really sad. All they care about is grabbing the money and to he11 with the fans!
Irrelevant, there were plenty of games that had far fewer bugs at the time and it is the nature of software development to have bugs. Gaming industry is an extremely general term...do you mean ubisoft?
HodgePodge wrote: I have encountered two game-killing bugs Ubisoft-Nival should hang their heads in SHAME!!
Well they should at least fix the bugs. Did you report them?

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 15 Dec 2006, 09:18

I get a crash, but honestly Elder Scrolls Daggerfall is the buggiest game I've ever played. Compared to that Heroes V is doing great.
I wonder .. when ppl will stop thinking "this game is good because its less sh1tty than that one".
Did you report them?
Is he a tester ? And gets money for playing this game ? No, he PAYS money for it. See difference ?

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 Dec 2006, 09:33

Just wondering a bit:
How can you expect ANY software manufacturer to produce bugfree games when we get operation system updates on a monthly basis STILL after all those years? Or can someone count the numerous patches for MS products like the OS itself, Outlook, IE Explorer, Media Player, Direct X and so on and so forth? You should think, for example, that all the security related fixes and changes would have some influence on mp gaming, connectivity and so on.
All this is simply killing the pc environment, and the way things going I wouldn't be too much surprised, if one day we'd have only one remaining publisher for pc games, and that would be MS.

So what I think is, the companies still in business beside MS - that would be Ubisoft as well - should make Linux versions at least for the top titles, and they should advertise them, especially if they would run a lot more stable and better there.

All that is of course no comfort, if you have a game that isn't running properly on your system, mind you.

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 15 Dec 2006, 09:57

See Dungeon Lords for a resounding example of an extremely buggy modern game.

Some years before that (I'm thinking of high profile games) you had Force Commander.

While every game released these days has its share of bugs, HOMM V's were very conspicuous from the beginning.

Bugs of all colors and sizes, from the incredibly stupid ones that make it evident that there's no QA department (we still have a "fotress" in plain sight - I guess they couldn't find a 10-year old to proofcheck) to the game breaking ones that meant several people were cheated out of their money (desynch problems in multiplayer).

Factor in the performance issues, the non-working skills, etc. and HOMM V is a game that springs to mind when one thinks of "very buggy" games.

Khel.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”