HoF -3rd Campaign, fifth mission

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Bahototh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoF -3rd Campaign, fifth mission

Unread postby Bahototh » 29 Nov 2006, 13:42

Last map;

This one seems hard, any tips?
I saved my game right after I freed the castle,
then I tried to take thrall a few times, but too strong...

Wulfstan has instant travel, but not enough troops...
Two months seem like a short time to build up armies, when you have the Inferno heroes to deal with.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 29 Nov 2006, 19:52

you should take essentially no losses in freeing the castle, if you do, you might rethink your troop deployments and strategies.

after the castle, don't wait at all:

-have wulfstan clear as much of the surface as possible (take all mines, caches, etc.), and make sure he finds the blue keymaster tent (it's past the first dwarven garrison, IRRC). later, you can zip over past the red garrision, but DON'T get too close to the castle in the SW until you are ready; Laszlo will move to attack you if you do.
-take ALL of the Haven troops and place them with your best haven hero (which should be Freyda, since that's the one you developed the most).
-take Freyda and Shadwyn underground ASAP. Have whoever has the best army take the closest underground town, send the other to the further gate to take that town. again, don't wait around, have whoever is closest go and take the third town.
-while you are taking the three red towns, focus on building up armies that would complement the best either Shadwyn or Freyda have to offer; typically only focus on the top tiers, though i would pick succubi, pit lords, and devils. Only upgrade ONE of the red castles (most likely the last castle you take will be pretty far along), build the basic creature structures at the others and transfer them via caravan to the upgraded town for upgrading.
-as soon as one of your heroes is free from dealing with the red towns, send them to the blue key gate. the stack guarding the teleporter joined my hero, so I would send whichever hero matches the stack type you see there.
-take the dungeon town and again, build complements for the army you are developing with inferno. After two months, I easily had enough with the combined armies to get the job done.
-Alaric will apparently completely ignore you if you find him on the dwarf side, so don't worry about attacking him.

-get ready for the dwarf hero to blast your armies with armageddon over and over, and it's a "timed" battle (that's worth a rant in and of itself, but not here), so be ready for that too.

my recommendation would be too use Shadwyn with the underground armies, don't waste time trying to resurrect anything, just blast away with ranged attacks and empowered meteor showers. your blackies will survive the spell onslaughts, so once the heavy hitters in the castle are whittled down a bit, move your dragons on in and mop up. Don't wait with your devils, though, move those guys in there in the very first turn for maximum impact; suggest using them on any ranged units, the spearchuckers if not protected, or the warlords if they are.

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 29 Nov 2006, 21:54

Sir_Toejam wrote:Laszlo will move to attack you if you do.
Isn't that impossible? He's dead you know.

ikkiphenix63
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ikkiphenix63 » 29 Nov 2006, 23:06

If you're really bothered by the time limit, there is also an unintended way to do it.

I only used shadwyn in that map.

First rush to the besieged haven city in less than one week (you have enough time to taake the first inferno city if you want)

Once there, the 7-days limit is off. DON'T free the besieged city, that's the event that will start the 2 month timer. Take the mines, go past the first dwarfen garrison, take the blue key, go back in the underground and use the key to get access to a dungeon city.

Since you have not freed Horncrest, the inferno heroes aren't doing anything, you can take all the inferno towns rather easily.

The only moving hero will be a red hero coming from the east (andreas I think), he has a rather small army which doesn't grow.

You can take your time,and even mass enough troops to attack the east garrison and take that haven city.

You have unlimited time until you decide to free the city, but I think that the Dwarfen King's army grows with time in his city (not sure), so don't wait too long.

When I fought him I had an almost 7 weeks dungeon army, our level 7 creatures were at the same number, but he had more level 1-6 creatures than me. In the end I killed him with empowered armageddons (+warlock's luck). For once, Irresistible magic was useful against his magma dragons while armageddonning, and I finished them with empowered implosions when they were the only survivors in his army.

I missed it when it was in my artifact merchant, but if you can buy the phenix cape (50% damage reduction by fire for your troops) it must help you a lot with the armageddon spamming.

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 29 Nov 2006, 23:51

ikkiphenix63 wrote:I only used shadwyn in that map.
Who's Shadwyn? ;|

ikkiphenix63
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ikkiphenix63 » 29 Nov 2006, 23:57

Odolwa wrote:
ikkiphenix63 wrote:I only used shadwyn in that map.
Who's Shadwyn? ;|
sorry, I meant the dark elf female hero of the third campaign, whatever her name is :D

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 30 Nov 2006, 00:48

Isn't that impossible? He's dead you know.
go figure.

maybe biara brought him back to life?

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 30 Nov 2006, 00:50

her "code" name is shadwyn; better known as Ylaya.

I spend too much time in the data files.

;|

Bahototh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Thanx!

Unread postby Bahototh » 30 Nov 2006, 09:00

Thank you for all tips!

The enemies' blood shall water the soil...

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 30 Nov 2006, 16:40

Sir_Toejam wrote:her "code" name is shadwyn; better known as Ylaya.

Wrong. It's Biara's Dark Elf form that is named Shadya.

Ylaya is only Ylaya.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 30 Nov 2006, 18:25

Odolwa wrote:
Sir_Toejam wrote:her "code" name is shadwyn; better known as Ylaya.

Wrong. It's Biara's Dark Elf form that is named Shadya.

Ylaya is only Ylaya.
Errr ..... I think there's a difference between Shadya and Shadwyn, unless I'm really mistaken and need to go back to school ...

Ylaya's script name is Shadwyn. Noone's talking about Shadya.

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 30 Nov 2006, 21:51

Nelgirith wrote:Errr ..... I think there's a difference between Shadya and Shadwyn, unless I'm really mistaken and need to go back to school ...

Ylaya's script name is Shadwyn. Noone's talking about Shadya.
Oh, sorry. I have no idea about those script-things ;)

saugeen
Peasant
Peasant

C3M5

Unread postby saugeen » 10 Dec 2006, 22:04

Ikkipheonix's(spelling?) idea of not saving the haven town right away is a good suggestion, it gave me a chance to build an army. I used Ylya in this mission because she had instant travel, but she didn't get empowered spells. Maybe I should go back couple of missions or even the beginning, I still can't build a strong enough army to win against Whats he name! He has too strong an army. I tried it on auto combat and doing it myself(which I'm not very good at). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”