Ubi and Copy Protection

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 24 Feb 2006, 23:21

I wonder if the Mac version will be released much later than the PC version. It'd be cool if the game was a hybrid like WarCraft III, but no such luck for Mac users.

lilacperfection
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

ubi & starforce

Unread postby lilacperfection » 25 Feb 2006, 17:47

FYI: We downloaded the beta about a month ago and were very impressed with the game. We were definately going to buy heroes 5. That was untill my son's computer started acting up. He is in computer field so he knows what he is doing and he has "state of the art" computers and set up. The cd burner went. He took the game & starforce out of our systems and thought he had everything fixed. He has found the damage to be so bad that he had to order a new cd rom. He says to look out for cd's skipping, playing slowly and then not playing at all. Starforce will not let you do a "clean" copy if using a burner so if you are using a burner for your work data you have a major problem. Also starforce attacks the motherboard. Eventually your hard drive will be hit.
I love heroes & have been playing since the beginning. but is this the end.......?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 Feb 2006, 18:49

seems H5 is ending up being a mix of curse and blessing ;|

Fallen Angel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Re: ubi & starforce

Unread postby Fallen Angel » 26 Feb 2006, 00:02

lilacperfection wrote:FYI: We downloaded the beta about a month ago and were very impressed with the game. We were definately going to buy heroes 5. That was untill my son's computer started acting up. He is in computer field so he knows what he is doing and he has "state of the art" computers and set up. The cd burner went. He took the game & starforce out of our systems and thought he had everything fixed. He has found the damage to be so bad that he had to order a new cd rom. He says to look out for cd's skipping, playing slowly and then not playing at all. Starforce will not let you do a "clean" copy if using a burner so if you are using a burner for your work data you have a major problem. Also starforce attacks the motherboard. Eventually your hard drive will be hit.
I love heroes & have been playing since the beginning. but is this the end.......?
Hm, that's odd. I haven't had a single problem burning or playing CD's since I installed the beta. If it is SF causing the problems, then it must be interacting with something specific.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 26 Feb 2006, 00:36

but which specific programs and or files does it interact with and then cause such trouble? ;|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: ubi & starforce

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Feb 2006, 00:50

Fallen Angel wrote: Hm, that's odd. I haven't had a single problem burning or playing CD's since I installed the beta. If it is SF causing the problems, then it must be interacting with something specific.
Duh... most errors are because of specific interactions.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 26 Feb 2006, 09:27

That's one of the things in life that are sure, :bug:'s/error's only accur when two specific programs are interacting...

I wonder what that program is. Is it the burning program or an unregeristered program. Well if they knew what it was we could do something about it.
Grah!

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby val-gaav » 26 Feb 2006, 09:52

Continuity wrote:I wonder if the Mac version will be released much later than the PC version. It'd be cool if the game was a hybrid like WarCraft III, but no such luck for Mac users.
Well the thing is that mac port team will start working when the code of h5 is gold ... that means that mac version will be realesed not much latter then windows h5 ...

For all of you SF haters u should really support the idea of linux port ... There is no SF there , and u can run this OS on your PC ...

The funny part is that converting the game from mac to linux would be a lot easier then from win ... Still ubi said that linux port will be reconsidered if the game is succesfull ... I mean were they so affraid that people will buy linux version instead of windows one, becouse of the SF ? :-D

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 26 Feb 2006, 11:27

val-gaav wrote:The funny part is that converting the game from mac to linux would be a lot easier then from win ... Still ubi said that linux port will be reconsidered if the game is succesfull ... I mean were they so affraid that people will buy linux version instead of windows one, becouse of the SF ? :-D
Hehehehe, yeah we say if not they are removing SF from the H5 windows version we gonna get linux or mac instead, we will lose only a small amount of cash but they will suffer the consequenses with low sale of H5 to windows :devious: :D

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 26 Feb 2006, 11:32

val-gaav wrote:Well the thing is that mac port team will start working when the code of h5 is gold ... that means that mac version will be realesed not much latter then windows h5 ...
I wonder where your assumption ("... not much later") comes from. I should think that such a delayed porting process would lead to either significant delays (because of the necessary betatest) or a bug-plagued game (because there wouldn't be time for a betatest).
For all of you SF haters u should really support the idea of linux port ... There is no SF there , and u can run this OS on your PC ...
My guess is that this is the reason why we won't see H5 on Linux.

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby val-gaav » 26 Feb 2006, 13:26

pepak wrote: I wonder where your assumption ("... not much later") comes from. I should think that such a delayed porting process would lead to either significant delays (because of the necessary betatest) or a bug-plagued game (because there wouldn't be time for a betatest).
Well ... it's the fastest that it can be :P ... Logicaly they can start the work on the port only when the code is final ... So they are ready to work , but wait for the code :) ...

SO it just depends what u call "not much later" ... Imo it will be 2 to 4 months ...

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 26 Feb 2006, 13:40

val-gaav wrote:Well ... it's the fastest that it can be :P ... Logicaly they can start the work on the port only when the code is final ... So they are ready to work , but wait for the code :) ...
That's not quite true. Most of the code could be converted right away - certainly all of the technical stuff (graphics, music, controls and low level networking code etc.). The stuff that will be changing a lot until Gold is pretty much platform independent - either directly (the actual graphics, game rules [unit statistics and costs etc.], music) or through the fact that they will be done from the very beginning anyway so they are not dependent on the old code being debugged completely.

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby val-gaav » 26 Feb 2006, 14:06

pepak wrote:. Most of the code could be converted right away - certainly all of the technical stuff (graphics, music, controls and low level networking code etc.)..
Well u forgot about optimalisation ... and that's what this game really needs ... ask any beta tester and he will confirm that the game needs it...

Sure there are some parts of code that will be not changed .... but hearing how music and graphics works in beta I'm sure this are not final ...

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 26 Feb 2006, 14:52

val-gaav wrote:Well u forgot about optimalisation ... and that's what this game really needs ... ask any beta tester and he will confirm that the game needs it...

Sure there are some parts of code that will be not changed .... but hearing how music and graphics works in beta I'm sure this are not final ...
My point is quite the opposite - these parts will have to be rewritten from scratch anyway. Most of the optimizations done for Windows will be useless for a Mac. So there's no point waiting for them...

LongDarkBlues
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby LongDarkBlues » 28 Feb 2006, 02:19

I just wanted to update anyone who was interested. After my CD burner ceased functioning - which happened as soon as I installed the HOMM5 beta - I discovered all the info about StarForce on here. I have had to replace the burner and the new one works just fine. I haven't changed anything or installed anything - I don't know what StarForce did, but I woudl have difficulty imagining it was anyting else that killed it.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2006, 03:04

No way SF did that, it must have been Mutant Space Zombie Nazi Pirate Ninja Gremlins.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Feb 2006, 06:41

ThunderTitan wrote:No way SF did that, it must have been Mutant Space Zombie Nazi Pirate Ninja Gremlins.
Do they come from planet veldrynea as well? :devil:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 28 Feb 2006, 07:07

ThunderTitan wrote:No way SF did that, it must have been Mutant Space Zombie Nazi Pirate Ninja Gremlins.
And I thought Veldrynus only had dangrous snakes in his army, maybe his even more evil cousin are up to something? :|

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 28 Feb 2006, 09:29

Curious - might it not be dead? Check it out on a mate's computer or something. I suspect that there might be a possibility of starforce interfering with some specific CD writer drivers.

erik9280
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

you are dreaming if you think ubi is going to put out a mac

Unread postby erik9280 » 02 Mar 2006, 00:09

all of you are dreaming if you think ubi is going to put out a mac verison of heroes v wiith out some sort of burning portection software with it that is bad bussiness decison to protech a pc verison and not portech a mac verison of the game b/c it's just as easy to crack a mac verison as it is a pc and by the way starforce only interferes with iso image burning softeware and as for any progame out there that can destory your mother board according to my father who is progamer for software there is none.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”