Most powerful spell?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Ignoring mana costs/costs of building up mage guilds, what do you think is the most powerful spell?

Poll ended at 29 Nov 2006, 17:25

Summon Pheonix
25%
Phantom Forces
7%
Other Summoning (specify)
7%
Meteor Shower
7%
Other Destructive (specify)
No votes
Puppet Master
29%
Frenzy
4%
Other Dark (specify)
7%
Resurrection
11%
Teleport
No votes
Other Light (specify)
4%

Total votes: 28

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Most powerful spell?

Unread postby tb5841 » 22 Nov 2006, 17:25

I couldn't find this poll anywhere yet, so thought I'd post it. Obviously different spells are better in different situations and with different factions, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 22 Nov 2006, 17:33

Can't vote...it's way too situational....strengh of enemy stacks, amount of enemy stacks, type of enemies, your faction (which decides spellschool and availability of spells), available creatures....there's simply so many variables that atleast 5 spells can be the very best with different factions.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 22 Nov 2006, 17:42

Overall, I'd say Mass Haste.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Nov 2006, 18:18

Depends on what you play and against who,so I wont vote here.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 22 Nov 2006, 18:41

Pretty easy.
Armageddon.
Of course as a rule the caster isn't able to utilize the full power of the spell for his or her purposes, so while the spell unleashes a scary lot of power it's not always that benefial for the caster which may be against the spirit of the question. :)

So I have to agree with campaigner and DL that depending on the situation a lot of spells may be winners.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 22 Nov 2006, 19:51

implosion, what else?
can't remember castin other spell's during dungeon campain

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 22 Nov 2006, 20:13

Given the nature of the poll each spell will have different uses at different times. The variation is so large that it really is almost an impossible question to answer.

I would imagine that Resurrection [at expert level casting] would always be a useful / handy spell to have simply because once you get on a roll with it you can save a lot of your creatures for the end battles making sure you have a strong army. There is almost never a time that the spell wouldn't be at least somewhat useful .... as such it's my pick for most powerful.

I'm not about to start argueing how effective a lucky, empowered meteor shower is combined with the "earth slippers" though .... many times that may just be "gg" right there :)

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 22 Nov 2006, 20:38

As with other versions of the game, I still find myself casting Mass Slow and Mass Haste quite often.

I tend to develop 'Might' heroes, so spells that need a lot of power to be effective are not all that useful to me. What good is one Phoenix?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 22 Nov 2006, 20:48

I don't want to argue here, but Resurrect has too many flaws, I think: The only factions that really can make use of it is Academy and since of now Fortress, but Ranger and Knight have no Power so that the effect will be somewhat small (considering a decrease in overall health as well), Necro has no use of it at all, while Dungeon and Inferno will get it once a year or so.

It is true that a Light spell has the advantage that it cannot be resisted.

I tend to think that Arcane Armor might be the best spell overall:
1) It cannot be resisted and is difficult to cleanse, obviously.
2) Dun, Aca and Nec, the 3 factions with Summoning, all have good spell power and with a massive 600 + 60*Power it soaks a hell of a lot of damage (albeit only 50% on expert).
3) Fortress can get it with an ability and has double as much probability to get Summoning than the non-light factions have to get Light.
Which leaves of course the 3 others wanting. Still, though.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Nov 2006, 20:58

The problem with Arcane Armor is that it requires you to take damage to start with, which usually isn't a very smart idea. It can be a very good spell - I wouldn't have passed C4M3 on heroic without it and exploiting the AI - but I find other spells better.

I'd say that Puppet Master has good things going for it: you gain one stack, the enemy looses one. Only problem is that it usually doesn't work against necropolis.

Caradoc: you'd be surprised what "one phoenix" can do. It's power increases exponentially with Spell Power. For campaigns, with powerful heroes but armies that doesn't always match, it's probably the best spell.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 22 Nov 2006, 20:59

Caradoc wrote:As with other versions of the game, I still find myself casting Mass Slow and Mass Haste quite often.

I tend to develop 'Might' heroes, so spells that need a lot of power to be effective are not all that useful to me. What good is one Phoenix?
Since it's summoning the spell power factions can get it. Damage is 10*power - 15*power
Attack is 10 + 2*Level.

Master of Conjuration adds an effective 4 Power. So a hero with spell power 12 and MoC, which isn't unheard of for the 3 mentioned above, will produce a Phoenix with the following stats:

Attack 42 (+ hero attack)
Defense 42 (+ hero defense)
Damage 160-240
Hit Points: 780
Init: 15
Speed 7

It can be Bannished and Wraiths can kill it with their special, but for the rest?

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 22 Nov 2006, 21:08

Gaidal Cain wrote:The problem with Arcane Armor is that it requires you to take damage to start with, which usually isn't a very smart idea. It can be a very good spell - I wouldn't have passed C4M3 on heroic without it and exploiting the AI - but I find other spells better.

I'd say that Puppet Master has good things going for it: you gain one stack, the enemy looses one. Only problem is that it usually doesn't work against necropolis.
What do you mean with your first sentence? That you have to take SUMMONING?

Yes, Puppetmaster IS good, but has the problem that it can be resisted (which means wasted spell) it is useless against Necro AND Academy most of the time AND it can be Cleansed at that, so in reality it is a spell that must most of the time be cast against a stack that will act before the opposing hero.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 22 Nov 2006, 21:22

One phoenix can easily turn the tide of battle barring wraith touches, orpal blades, and the such.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 22 Nov 2006, 21:36

...adding to the above, do also remember that a summoned phoenix only resembles an independent phoenix on the surface. I'ts far more durable and more powerful.

I'ts like a stack of 3 or more phoenixes in one unit.

It also gets far more powerful as your spell power goes up.

in a town siege, you can use it to block creatures from exiting the gate, and it's durability will allow you to decimate the town's armies with ranged units without them being able to get to you in time.

it's both a decent power unit, and an excellent strategic unit, I've found.

that said, when on the open field, playing against a human instead of the AI, it's almost a waste of a turn to cast it, as the human player will likely either have a way of instantly dispelling it (there are several), or just bypass it entirely in favor of attacking the non-summoned troops.
but for the rest?
here's the list of quick disposals that I can think of:

Vorpal sword attack
harm touch
banish
puppetmaster
frenzy (assuming you catch it while it's still on the opponents side of the field)
I'm sure I'm forgetting something here...

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 22 Nov 2006, 22:08

the poll is kind o worthless... since the spells are hardly comparable...
so no answer for me

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 03:52

Alamar wrote: I would imagine that Resurrection [at expert level casting] would always be a useful / handy spell to have simply because once you get on a roll with it you can save a lot of your creatures for the end battles making sure you have a strong army. There is almost never a time that the spell wouldn't be at least somewhat useful .... as such it's my pick for most powerful.
Ah but doesnt it lower your stacks HP by 10%? :devious:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Nov 2006, 05:23

I think Puppet Master can be the most effective and damaging spell, taking his most powerful ranged and using it against him changes things markedly, frenzy has a lot going for it too
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 23 Nov 2006, 08:51

The poll might have been better as a favorite spell poll.

Anyway, along those lines, I really like Firewall now. I mean REALLY like it. It's a wee bit too powerful against the AI, I think, and still decently powerful against other players.

Good damage to 3 spaces automatically, and if you cast it on archers or anything else that wants to stay put, they keep taking the heavy damage. Now that you can cast it directly on the enemy, it's one of my favorite spells :).

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 23 Nov 2006, 08:55

You can really cast it ON enemy units now? My opinion of summoning just went way up. IMO there is no best spell as its been said before its highly dependant on circumstances.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 23 Nov 2006, 08:59

Yeah, summoning has really turned into battlefield control.

-Firewall keeps things moving along, with very nice damage.
-Fire Trap keeps ground pounders generally out of a 5x5 area.
-Wasp Swarm slows one enemy + a little damage.
-Summoning spells just fill up the board on your side

Now if only heroes could take turns a little bit faster, it'd be REALLY fun :).

Return to “Heroes V-VI”