Ranger Skills

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Ranger Skills

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 22:23

Ranger's Skill Selection(not based on Nature's Luck)

I had a bit of a tough issue with this one, but nonetheless, this is what I have come up with. Though, you could always go the ballista route, since there are some decent ballista skills, but this is for non-ballista users.

Logistics -> Basic, Advanced, Expert/Scouting/Silent Stalker/Familiar Ground

Attack -> Basic, Advance, Expert/Battle Frezny/Archery/Nature's Wrath

Leadership -> Basic, Advanced, Expert/Diplomacy/Recruitment/Battle Commander

Light Magic -> Basic, Advanced, Expert/Master of Wrath/Storm Wind/Fire Resistance

Luck -> Basic, Advanced, Expert/Soldier's Luck/Magic Resistance/Eleven Luck

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 20 Nov 2006, 22:29

as i c you're opening many threads about skill selection i thought i'd ask,
have u seen the strategy guides for each faction? each contains a list of skills preferable for selecting, quite useful
if u have but want to share than gr8, if not i hope it helps.. ;)

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 22:33

Yea, I know there's skills strategy guides, but I figured that I'd post my own strategies and see what other ppl think.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 20 Nov 2006, 22:41

As far as I remember one had to be really lucky to get Attack with a ranger that doesn't have it by default, so I don't see any point in including it in the "common" strategy.
As for the light magic, I wouldn't take fire resistance, but take some "master of" skill instead. I love storm wind though :) One of the rare opportunities to keep the dragons away from your troops for one turn.
Last edited by fly away on 20 Nov 2006, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 22:43

Well, this is assuming that attack isn't in by default. Remember, I'm picking the skills as if the Hero had none.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 20 Nov 2006, 22:45

The Mad Dragon wrote:Well, this is assuming that attack isn't in by default. Remember, I'm picking the skills as if the Hero had none.
In this case it has limited applicability.
Btw, I would take enlightment instead.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 22:48

Reason being?

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 20 Nov 2006, 22:49

The Mad Dragon wrote:Reason being?
faster development due to experience boost, additional stat points every 2/3/4 levels.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 22:52

That could be said for every race, but not every race actually benefits from that. And in all honesty, no race really needs an exp boost as they would get the experience from fighting/chest collecting. Extra stats are nice, but you can get those from artifacts and what not.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 20 Nov 2006, 22:59

The Mad Dragon wrote:That could be said for every race, but not every race actually benefits from that. And in all honesty, no race really needs an exp boost as they would get the experience from fighting/chest collecting.
"In all honesty", every race needs an exp boost. :-) Especially on hard and heroic, when one has to get gold over experience.
Plus Vinrael is my favourite in Sylvan exactly for that reason.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 23:32

Well, I would definitely like to see someone else back up your statement.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Nov 2006, 23:35

The Mad Dragon wrote:That could be said for every race, but not every race actually benefits from that. And in all honesty, no race really needs an exp boost as they would get the experience from fighting/chest collecting. Extra stats are nice, but you can get those from artifacts and what not.
Untrue.You cannot relly on artifacts,because youre never sure if youll get them.As for gaining xp from battles,you will need much much more XP with each level.Enlightment is very good to pick with any race,not just because of extra xp,but because of extra stats as well.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 20 Nov 2006, 23:48

Enlightenment is good mostly in early game or very late in the game.If you get it early you may see a difference in xp but it is also nice to get it after lvl 16.By then you'll have the skills/abilities you need and just buff up your stats.Especially a ranger for whom it is fairly easy to get.

My usual build is luck(elven luck,res),def(basic abilities),logistics,light(basic abilities).Occasionally I swap light for leadership and as I said earlier enlightenment at endgame ;)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 23:55

Hmmm.....interesting thoughts....I guess I will have to rethink my strategies then.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 20 Nov 2006, 23:57

The Mad Dragon wrote:Hmmm.....interesting thoughts....I guess I will have to rethink my strategies then.
Again, attack is good. It's just hard to get :-) so be realistic

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 23:58

lol, I am trying to be realistic. Though, I didn't realize that Ranger had such a hard time trying to get attack.

Mightor Magic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mightor Magic » 21 Nov 2006, 17:36

That is a very specific strategy for the Hunter hero, Ossir. I can't argue with most of your base skills elections for him but I would recommend Master of Blessings over Fire Resistance. Magic Resistance from Luck should be enough.

Getting Attack is hard but really necessary for him. It's strange that Battle Commander is really useful for that +2 to attack as many of my Rangers get nothing there. But it's not that hard to get an attack artifact and Leadership isn't necessary for the Ranger. You may want to switch this out for War Machines which would give +3 Attack to ranged units. Plus, Elven Luck and Triple Ballista is good combo.

I only use Enlightenment if there any good Perks available for that Faction; Know Your Enemy really isn't that good.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”