Some features I miss in Heroes V...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Mace the Councillor
Peasant
Peasant

Some features I miss in Heroes V...

Unread postby Mace the Councillor » 20 Nov 2006, 14:11

OK, here are a few things from earlier games in the series I think this game could use.

Barbarian town faction: I never played the first game in the series, so I don't know about that one, but I know every game since, up until this one, has had this faction. This theme suits the game well, and had some good Fantasy creatures like orcs and cyclopses.

Border gates: A small detail really. In the unlikely case that anyone is unsure what a border gate is, it resembles a border guard, except that it does not disappear after a hero of a player with the appropriate key walks through it. In shape, it resembles a garrison. Sometimes it was a great way to/from restrict a certain player to a certain area. Similarly, a quest gate could also be useful.

Caravan: This applies to the standard game only, as this feature is introduced in the Hammers of Fate expansion (albeit in a fashion somewhat different from the one in Heroes IV). It is a great feature which greatly alleviates one of the most tedious and boring aspects of the game...troop transportation from one town to another, which otherwise must be handled by extra heroes. I do think this should have been in the standard game already.

I don't want to complain. This game contains many good things as well, and a few new aspects, but I believe it would be even better with these features.

Any thoughts?

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 14:20

Which Heroes was Border Gates in?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Nov 2006, 14:35

Both 3 (after expansions) and 4.

I think one can stop AI from accessing areas, but that obviously don't apply to heroes, so I agree that they would be an excellent addition.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Re: Some features I miss in Heroes V...

Unread postby Marzhin » 20 Nov 2006, 14:35

Mace the Councillor wrote:Border gates: A small detail really. In the unlikely case that anyone is unsure what a border gate is, it resembles a border guard, except that it does not disappear after a hero of a player with the appropriate key walks through it. In shape, it resembles a garrison. Sometimes it was a great way to/from restrict a certain player to a certain area. Similarly, a quest gate could also be useful.
I missed those too. Fortunately, a similar effect can be achieved with regions and a bit of scripting.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 20 Nov 2006, 16:16

Features of Heroes IV that I think were really really good but sadly don't appear in Heroes V:

1. The ability to kill the opponent's hero in battle. A kill on the opponent's Tactician could swing the entire battle around.
2. The ability to mix and match more than one hero in an army. Though it resulted in armies of 4 heroes and more, it allows for better and more consistent story-telling as well as a great more variety of battle tactics.
3. The ability to block Ranged creature attacks by blocking their sight. Without this feature Ranged creatures rule once more, as they did in Heroes 2 and 3 (didn't play Heroes 1 so I don't know). This is a feature I sorely miss, since it too added a a lot to tactics.
4. Caravan - as mentioned.
5. Heroes dealing non-linear damage. Imagine a stack of 15 Djinns, resurrected 5 times and all having 1 HP. Then imagine my hero attacking it and dealing 2 damage ...

Features of Heroes IV that I think were really really good but happily don't appear in Heroes V:

Only one right now: Wasp Swarm / Confusion / Song of Peace (the Heroes IV variants). Though they allowed one to win battles at impossible odds, they were also extremely game-breaking and I'm glad they've been removed. I've found myself hoping I had such a spell many times, but it's good neither side can utilize it.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 16:19

And what exactly, is non-linear damage?

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 20 Nov 2006, 16:26

The game has too few spells. HOF added some more adventure objects, which was sorely needed, but unfortunately it added no new spells except dwarven rune spells.

I miss sea decorations. There needs to more stuff to spice up the water with.

I would like to see the barbarian town brought back too.

Simultaneous retaliation.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Nov 2006, 16:36

I miss LoS,FoW,sim retal,and other abbreviations :D Oh,and flagable windmills,kingdom overview,chaotic upgrades and plethora of spells.

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 20 Nov 2006, 16:44

I miss LoS,FoW
And those would be what in english?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Nov 2006, 16:50

Line of sight and fog of war :D

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 20 Nov 2006, 18:37

The AI...
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 20 Nov 2006, 18:46

DaemianLucifer wrote:Iflagable windmills,kingdom overview
I miss those, too. I don't really about most of the other things said. Never really liked the barbarians. :S

I could use some more neutral creatures, first of all orcs (could also be a separate faction).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Nov 2006, 18:48

Not unless theres a third expansion.Nagas seem to have the next one :devil:

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 18:55

`Claps happily at the thought of Naga in next expansion :D`

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby erased. over. out » 20 Nov 2006, 19:32

1. The Barbarian faction
2. Medusas and Nagas (fingers crossed for the next expansion)
3. The little anecdotes that would pop up after picking up an artifact/entering a building, etc.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 19:58

How would you make Medusa's an entire race>?

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 1979 » 20 Nov 2006, 20:05

I want to see barbarians again too. They always added some variety to the game... were one of my favorite factions. I also miss the little text things, too. The little details like that were what made me like the game so much.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 20 Nov 2006, 20:16

I liked those too, but apparently in the development of H5 one of the ten commandments was "less clicks", so now we don't have anymore texts when we pick up an artifact, for example. Ah well, it's not a great loss, IMO.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby erased. over. out » 20 Nov 2006, 20:25

The Mad Dragon wrote:How would you make Medusa's an entire race>?
Well, the Medusa's alone don't have to comprise a faction. However, since they, like Nagas, share human and snake-like attributes, maybe they can be brought under one banner? Rumor has it that Nagas might make it to the next expansion, so the Medusa is a likely candidate as well. If they choose to make a reptilian race, so to speak, then maybe we can see the Wyverns, Lizardmen (not too fond of them) and Basilisks make comebacks as well. It's just a shame that the Hydra was brought down from it's tier 7 glory days. It would've fit nicely in this "maybe" race.

EDIT: P.S. I am aware that the Hydra was the "second best" unit in the Warlock faction way back in H I. :D

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 20:31

Well, Medusa was Queen of the Gorgon's, so maybe they'll make a Gorgon race

Return to “Heroes V-VI”