HOF/ 1.4 Skill changes

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

HOF/ 1.4 Skill changes

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 20 Nov 2006, 09:50

I started playing the HOF wizard single player scenario and see that Consume Artifact has changed. I remember JJ wrote that it was going to change.

It basically acts as a resurrect spell from the description. I have no idea how strong it is. Perhaps a modder can look at the code for it and tell us what the strength of the resurrect is based on.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 20 Nov 2006, 09:52

Wow thats actually kinda useful, well when compared to what it used to do.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Nov 2006, 10:09

Yep, especialy since the Wiz had plenty of mana anyway.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 21 Nov 2006, 21:54

interesting... but a little bizare...
how would consuming the artifact would actually resurect the creatures?? ... it's just really hard to explain imo... even in an imaginary world...

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 21 Nov 2006, 22:06

I'll give it a shot:Through the process of destroying of a mini-artifact great ammounts of energy are released that the wizard manipulates and channels into healing power.There,doesn't sound too bad.I've heard worse :D
One of my favourite tactics when I don't know a correct answer is to choose one side and THEN try to make it look right.It works! :-D
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 21 Nov 2006, 22:17

okrane wrote:interesting... but a little bizare...
how would consuming the artifact would actually resurect the creatures?? ... it's just really hard to explain imo... even in an imaginary world...
Are you another logic-seeker?

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 21 Nov 2006, 22:18

I wonder if Consume Artefact resurrects (or repairs) golems.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 21 Nov 2006, 22:59

fly away wrote:
Are you another logic-seeker?
well at least i hate things that look ridiculous... even in an imaginary world some logic must apply... I mean... I really doubt there exist an universe where a proposition can be true and false at the same time...

and taking a medal or badge from the gremlins' chest I think it can only dissapoint them... resurecting... I doubt it....

But still it is a useful change for the game mecanics, and balance

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Nov 2006, 02:53

Not really.Heres an explanation:Magics required to boost large numbers of creatures are beeing tightly packed in a very small place(an artifact),thus setting those energies loose at once produce quite a powerfull effect.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 22 Nov 2006, 04:02

well, given that the topic title is general enough, here's another one:

snatch eliminates the movement penalty for the summon creatures spell.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Nov 2006, 04:09

Go dwarves go!Be the uber power :devil:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Nov 2006, 07:57

Sir_Toejam wrote:well, given that the topic title is general enough, here's another one:

snatch eliminates the movement penalty for the summon creatures spell.
Have you tested Town Portal and Dim Door?
okrane wrote:I really doubt there exist an universe where a proposition can be true and false at the same time...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-classical_logic
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 22 Nov 2006, 08:45

not yet;

I'll get a chance to test TP tommorrow.

EDIT:

nope, doesn't work for TP.
Last edited by Sir_Toejam on 23 Nov 2006, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 22 Nov 2006, 08:50

Gaidal Cain wrote:
okrane wrote:I really doubt there exist an universe where a proposition can be true and false at the same time...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-classical_logic
It's a rather interesting debate and I don't know if I should get into it...
All those models are just that IMO, to compensate for the lack of information about something or support some wider theories. Sure it can be imagined but it also has to work...

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 22 Nov 2006, 09:26

That's rather like my Linear Algebra class, where the fundamental rules were contradictory to each other. But of course they couldn't cancel each other out... they were the rules... made up as they were.

By the way, Consume can mean a few different things. The wizard using up an artifact to power a resurrection spell would be consuming the artifact. There's your magical logic for ya ;).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Nov 2006, 09:51

okrane wrote:Sure it can be imagined but it also has to work...
Anything you can imagine does exist somewhere.Thats the beauty of multiple dimensions :D

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 22 Nov 2006, 12:29

When I said imagined I meant imagined on paper, i.e. start from the logic axioms without the one that states p & !p = true and see what you can come up with.
You can also start considering new axioms and build a logic, geometry or world based on it...
It's like the axiom of parallels: if you start from the fact that throgh a certain point passes only one parallel you come up with Euclidean geometry which relates to a world that is on the surface of a plane.
Needless to say if you consider that you can draw no parallel or infinately many you obtain other geometries :the surface of a sphere or a hyperboloide
But not all these worlds could exist... our world has a spherical geometry... but we still utilise euclidean geometry to describe it... because it provides a good aproximation at small dimensions.
Anyway... to put an end to this nonsense... I believe we can imagine stuff, we can even use them to explain certain phenomenon, but we must at least follow a certain logic...
Allowing everything just because it's an imaginary world greatly reduces credibility....

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Nov 2006, 13:01

okrane wrote: Allowing everything just because it's an imaginary world greatly reduces credibility....
That is true,and thats why I gave that explanation for consuming artifacts up there.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 22 Nov 2006, 21:25

That's rather like my Linear Algebra class, where the fundamental rules were contradictory to each other. But of course they couldn't cancel each other out... they were the rules... made up as they were.
having fun with matricies, eh?

hope your instructor was a sight more interesting than the robotic drone I had.

ugh.

i gave up going to class and just used the text.
made up as they were
even philosophically speaking "abstract" and "made up" are two different things.

abstract concepts in mathematics still follow the rules of logic, otherwise nobody could predict outcomes of fomulae based on them, even in theory.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Nov 2006, 03:02

it looks like they changed how the "scholar" perk works, without changing the description for it.

it looks like it's only one-way now; the person who has the skill can teach the spells they know, but they no longer appear to be able to learn spells from other heroes who don't have the perk.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”