Silly names in HoMMV! ...and alternatives to them!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 12 Dec 2007, 01:55

Hell Barons remind me the Antichrists, back from WoG 3.57. I liked that name best of all the devilish ones.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Heretic_Cata
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Heretic_Cata » 12 Dec 2007, 10:14

:D

<
"Be who you are and say what you feel - those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

yuritch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yuritch » 12 Dec 2007, 13:03

The name Hell Baron reminds me of this:
Those are way older than WoG...

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 12 Dec 2007, 16:59

That's the best reason to name it the Hell Baron that I've ever heard. :D Ubi should get on it; the name is so generic that ID can't possibly sue on intellectual property. :devil:

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 12 Dec 2007, 22:35

yuritch wrote:The name Hell Baron reminds me of this:
Those are way older than WoG...
Good old Doom... It was love at first sight...

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 13 Dec 2007, 00:29

@ Mlai: if you read through the thread then you'll see that we discussed Arcane Archers and decided they should be named Sharpshooters.

@ everyone :D : hell baron does sound better and it reminds me of both things you guys showed B-)
:hanged: <--- You're the guy hanged if you ever dare to touch my blacksmith!

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 13 Dec 2007, 01:08

I've decided to be stubborn this time, and I won't let from my Antichrists. :D

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 13 Dec 2007, 02:13

huh? what do you mean? i dun get it :tired:

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 13 Dec 2007, 04:50

All the cool kids are going with Hell Baron. :proud:

Sharpshooters is not a great name, even though it was in an older HoMM. Like I said, Grand Archer is a real life archery rank.

Top archery ranking:
Master Archer -> Grand Archer -> Grand Master Archer

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 13 Dec 2007, 12:50

Wulfstan8182 wrote:huh? what do you mean? i dun get it :tired:
I meant I like the name Antichrist better, and I stick to that it should be named like that, not Hell Baron. Oh boy... :tired:
Mlai wrote: Top archery ranking:
Master Archer -> Grand Archer -> Grand Master Archer
No offense, but there isn't much imagination for an artist.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 13 Dec 2007, 13:44

If you're drawing a soldier walking with his rifle, and you don't have the slightest clue how they hold their weapon, then you show the picture to a veteran. What do you think is the FIRST thing they'll tell you? :|

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 13 Dec 2007, 15:35

I guess they would say, that it's irreal. But HoMM is a fantasy game and creatures can have upside down wings and without that being a negative element. So is with the names, you can call a creature nearly anything you want, and you can only be blamed by lack of originality and never by being irreal.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 13 Dec 2007, 18:21

So if the elven archer holds his bow completely wrong, that even ppl who don't practice archery can tell it's wrong, you'd call that original rather than the artist being a retard?

Just because you can't tell something doesn't seem right, doesn't mean everyone can't. What about players who are into competitive archery? What about players who returned from Iraq? Shouldn't the game make sense to them as well? Doing research and not making the game look like a half-assed job is something that concept artists must do.

Haven already has the corner on naming ranks after modern military, which is sensible because they're the human faction. Sharpshooter is one rank above Marksman and one rank below Expert in US Army. In the British Armed Forces, marksman is traditionally the highest shooting rating. At any rate, if X-bowman was named Sharpshooter instead, it would be fine.

But the elves already have a rank based on real-life archery, the "Master" Hunter. And if Arcane Archer (I don't have a problem with this name) turned out to be named Grand Archer, not only is it internally compatible, it even pays homage to the old name "Grand Elf." So what could possibly be better?

When you play a skateboarding game, when they use authentic terms for tricks, are you going to call it unoriginal? Just because archery isn't as hip to you as extreme sports, doesn't mean it deserves any less respect.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 13 Dec 2007, 18:56

This game isn't an archery game, it's a fantasy one, based not on real life, but on mytologies, legends, fairytales and other imaginary stories.
But you're right in one thing, if for example a skilled archer plays the game, he/she may find it disturbing that an archer holds his bow wrong. But the keyword is may, since this is a fantasy game, and it doesn't have to tend to reality. Humans aren't its only participants. And how many elves you had seen holding a bow, or how many elves you had seen anyway. You can't possibly know how would they hold a bow. But look into yourself and tell me, how many games had you seen, where a bow or sword isn't held correctly.
I don't think that those players who had returned from Iraq, are after reality, since they could see just enough reality there. But, true they may be upset for some rankings between archers. But since there are only 6 humanoid archers, I don't really think that's such a big problem.
If you play Medal of Honor or Call of Duty or Tony Hawk's anything, you can expect that every move every weapon, rank, wound, fall, explosion to be real, and when some isn't your frustration is a logical one, because there reality is the basement of the game. Since here fantasy is the main element you can't expect that every attack or defence stance, or every weaponhold to be realistic. And in no way can you charge the game with being irreal.
Furthermore, there will be always teasers.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 13 Dec 2007, 20:58

The good fantasy games/books/movies/comics are the ones where the creator did his research. Tolkien based his world on his in-depth knowledge of linguistics and myths.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Dec 2007, 22:22

But i bet that if a physicist read it he'd find plenty of things wrong with it...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 13 Dec 2007, 23:56

Mlai wrote:The good fantasy games/books/movies/comics are the ones where the creator did his research. Tolkien based his world on his in-depth knowledge of linguistics and myths.
I think that is a very bad comparation.

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 17 Dec 2007, 00:48

@ Muzka: oh, why didn't you just say you like Antichrist? i do think it sounds better than Hell Baron.
@ everyone: the ideas in the King's Bounty, H1-H5 all came from myths and stuff. But there are things like that shield with the lion on it that came from Narnia :-D

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 17 Dec 2007, 13:15

To quote Meadow Soprano: "How can there be more than one Antichrist? There was only one Jesus." :devious:

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 17 Dec 2007, 23:18

Mlai wrote:To quote Meadow Soprano: "How can there be more than one Antichrist? There was only one Jesus." :devious:
There was only one Minotaur, Medusa, Cerberus too. :D

Return to “Heroes V-VI”