Silly names in HoMMV! ...and alternatives to them!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 Nov 2007, 02:49

Wulfstan8182 wrote:maybe they should sticky this topic ;|
Here's no reason for making it sticky, really. Hmm, and would be nice if you would not assume others problem with any part of theirs body because they disagree with you. Try to live without that next time, ok? Practicing polite art of communication never hurts.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 11 Nov 2007, 03:03

Aye aye Cap'n Pol!

Anyways...
here are what i think is the giant mutated whale looks like that ppl were abssesed about in the beggining and middle of this thread

ALL HAIL THE GIANT MUTATED WHALE ALL HAIL THE GIANT MUTATED WHALE
:hanged: <--- You're the guy hanged if you ever dare to touch my blacksmith!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Nov 2007, 11:57

That's not the MGW... no tentacles. that's the Sea Monster, the weak alchemical imitation of the MGW.

Seriously though, Arcane Archer IS better name for three reasons. It sounds better and is less used, makes a lot more sense with Force Arrow ability (which are obviously magically enchanted arrows),
Meh, Arcane Archer is not that uncommon if you play D&D and i find the Master Hunters initiative breaking arrows more enchanted then knockback arrows.
Djinn Vizier??? Vizier is the same as Sultan! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vizier
No it's not... otherwise Iznogoud wouldn't want to be Caliph instead of the Caliph, would he.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 13 Nov 2007, 03:20

ThunderTitan wrote:
Djinn Vizier??? Vizier is the same as Sultan! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vizier
No it's not... otherwise Iznogoud wouldn't want to be Caliph instead of the Caliph, would he.
If you actually read a bit through the link one of the definitions for Vizier is Sultan

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Nov 2007, 13:32

No it isn't...
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 13 Nov 2007, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 Nov 2007, 13:35

Sultan = "King", Vizier = "Prime Minister"
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 13 Nov 2007, 23:11

anyway, we're sort of off topic.

I just noticed that translating the names of the creatures from my russian version of the game, the names are totally different so your most hated Hell Charger is actually Hell Steed in my game. Hell Charger is the name for Hell Hound in my game though... :devil:

P.S. I just realized that this topic is pointless if you look from the point of view of Nival. If i wana change a creatures name i just mod it and i'm happy when playing my game. :D

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 14 Nov 2007, 02:24

I've read some posts in this forum...
Interesting...
Arcane Archer vs. Sharpshooter / Vizier ~ Sultan / Devils, Hydras, and many more...
My only problem is that sharpshooters were a remarkable unit in H3 and we won't see in H5 (name only).
But names are names and they will only modify the morale of the player.
As for 'Rex' I think it's the Latin for king, and it has nothing to do with dragons. And there was a wingless dragon in H3 and was nor Drake nor Wyrm, and I think I weren't the only one who like the Crystal Dragons.
Why is so important if the Vizier is the same as the Sultan? Imo they are not. It reads on Wikipedia that Vizier is somekind of advisor or 'cunseleor', when Sultan is a leader somehow closer to a Dictator than to a King. Though it may happen that they can be confused by some.

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 14 Nov 2007, 02:47

here's the giant mutated whale, created by me, for the contest.

wtf... it doesn't show... anyway here's the url

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc48 ... dWhale.jpg

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Nov 2007, 17:01

Muszka wrote:And there was a wingless dragon in H3 and was nor Drake nor Wyrm, and I think I weren't the only one who like the Crystal Dragons.
Well Drake and Wyrm are both alternative names for a Dragon anyway (drake is archaic and Wyrm is from the german Wurm). The idea was to create an artificial separation between a regular winged dragon and wingless Drake that resembles H3's Crystal Dragon (something i remember seeing before somewhere).

And Sultan was the title of the Ottoman ruler, and he was closer to a king then a dictator imo. But he wasn't the only one to use the title...

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 15 Nov 2007, 22:37

I know. I wrote it in a confusing way. I didn't referred to that. I meant that Crystal Dragons were not called Drakes or Wyrms. Anyway I don't think that it's so important. I mean I don't care if a Dragon is wingless or not.

And the 'Sultan'? I know there were quite a few of them, they were the head of the Turkish empire, and they have full power. They ruled mainly between 1400 and 1800, but don't know the exact numbers. (It's been some time, since those History lessons )

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Nov 2007, 01:25

I'm pretty sure they ruled before the 1400 because during that century Constantinople fell, and they where around way before that in a position akin to king. But i do guess that period was their high point.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Nov 2007, 02:10

Maybe... I don't remember.
But I got curious, so I'll do some research tomorrow.

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 16 Nov 2007, 02:47

ummm... why are we talin about when sultans were there? this topic is about silly names in HoMM5. How about now, since it is all boring we say a name of the creature in the game, and come up with a really funny and cheesy name for it. ill go first.
Thunder Thane=Santa Thunder Handonfire Claus :creative:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Nov 2007, 11:54

How about we don't?

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Nov 2007, 12:13

Santa Thunder Handonfire Clause?
It would ruin my good childhood memories. ;|

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 25 Nov 2007, 20:34

ThunderTitan wrote:How about we don't?
This is the Tomb of the Unknown Implementer. A hollow voice says: "That's not a bug, it's a feature!" In the north wall of the room is the Crypt of the Implementers. It is made of the finest marble, and apparently large enough for four headless corpses. Above the entrance is the cryptic inscription: "Feel Free." - Zork II
I'll say that this is the sarcastic post. :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Dec 2007, 19:46

Does Wild Cyclops sound better then Untamed Cyclops?! What about Grizzly Cyclops?

Oh, and Firedrake would have so worked for the Fortress lvl 7: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firedrake And Magmadrake/Lavadrake don't really sound any worse then Magma/Lava Dragon...

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 07 Dec 2007, 19:52

nice Thundertitan! i never really thought of Wild Cyclops... and i know i might suck but maybe Bloody Cyclops cause he's like half red and stuff is better then Bloodeyed Cyclops... i dunno ;|

and yeah... Firedrake and then maybe Lava/Magmadrake does work better. according to wikipedia. :)

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 08 Dec 2007, 00:33

Is that drake/dragon thing matter that much?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Return to “Heroes V-VI”