How to get the console to work in HOF

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

How to get the console to work in HOF

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 17 Nov 2006, 10:42

for some reason that escapes me, Nival created an entirely new profile directory and files that contain exactly the same friggin data as the original version, but with different names.

*sigh*

I guess it was too much to ask that they assume we would want the same setup for the expansion as for the original.

so here's what you have to do (if it's not already working for you)...

in addition to modifying the input_a1.cfg file in your new profile directory, which should look something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Games\Heroes of Might and Magic V\Hammers of Fate\Profiles\Toejammer

you need to go to the directory for the game itself, and the profile directory THERE:

E:\Heroes of Might and Magic V\profiles

and find the file:

autoexec_a1.cfg

add the same line you normally would add to the autoexec.cfg for the normal version:

setvar dev_console_password = schwinge-des-todes

at the very bottom.

copy that file to your personal profile directory for HOF (the documents and settings one).

done.

that works fine for me.

NOTE:

you can get the console to pop down simply by adding the binding keys to the input_a1.cfg file, but the cheat codes themselves will not work unless you add the autoexec_a1.cfg file to your HOF profiles directory.

for those that have forgotten what to do with your input.cfg file (in this case input_a1.cfg):

go to the line starting:

// obsolete, but strictly need for compability with some interfaces

and add the line:

bind show_console '`'

to the end of that section.

so it should look like this:

bind close_window 'ESC'
bind confirm_action 'ENTER'
bind confirm_action 'NUM_ENTER'
bind show_console '`'

or, if you have the additional section with the debug keys listed, it would look like this:

bind close_window 'ESC'
bind confirm_action 'ENTER'
bind confirm_action 'NUM_ENTER'

//debug keys
bind show_console '`'
Last edited by Sir_Toejam on 18 Nov 2006, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 17 Nov 2006, 11:08

As this is something that may interest many in next weeks, I made it sticky for a while.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 25 Nov 2006, 01:17

I have an input.cfg in that location, but not an input_a1.cfg.

My input_a1.cfg file is in the profile directory where I installed the game.

I modified the input_a1.cfg and the autoexec_a1.cfg file as you show here.
And then I copied the autoexec_a1.cfg to my C:\Documents and Settings... etc., as you mention here.

But I still can't get the console to work. Any ideas? Suggestions most welcome.

Nevermind. I was looking in the wrong directory. oops. *^_^*

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 26 Nov 2006, 03:40

I bought Hammers of Fate and followed all the instructions and checked everything again and again but still I can't get the console to show when I hit the tilde key.

I don't know what I'm missing but it doesn't work for me.

I added the setvar dev_console_password = schwinge-des-todes line to the bottom of the autoexec_a1.cfg file and copied this file to my Hammers of Fate Profile directory.

I added the line: bind show_console '`' to my input_a1.cfg file in my Hammers of Fate personal Profile.

Still nothing. :( Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 26 Nov 2006, 14:19

HodgePodge wrote:I bought Hammers of Fate and followed all the instructions and checked everything again and again but still I can't get the console to show when I hit the tilde key.

I don't know what I'm missing but it doesn't work for me.

I added the setvar dev_console_password = schwinge-des-todes line to the bottom of the autoexec_a1.cfg file and copied this file to my Hammers of Fate Profile directory.

I added the line: bind show_console '`' to my input_a1.cfg file in my Hammers of Fate personal Profile.

Still nothing. :( Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Which profile directory did you use? There is one in the 'profiles' directory of the Heroes of Might and Magic 5 directory and one as shown here, on your C drive.

I modified both sets of files in both places and that made the console work for me. :)

Hope this helps you.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 26 Nov 2006, 18:06

LindaG wrote: Which profile directory did you use? There is one in the 'profiles' directory of the Heroes of Might and Magic 5 directory and one as shown here, on your C drive.

I modified both sets of files in both places and that made the console work for me. :)

Hope this helps you.
Okay, I got it to work!!! I also added the bind show_console '~' to the
// Common section (always active) section in both places also. So both input_a1.cfg documents should have this right at the very beginning.

// Common section (always active)
bind show_console '`'

Finally, now I need to learn the codes.

Thanks Linda G and everyone! :-D

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 26 Nov 2006, 18:10

Glad you got it to work. :)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Nov 2006, 01:53

Now that I got the console to work in HoF and have all the updated codes, I actually like this system better than the older one because now I'm not so tempted to be a "big cheater" so I use the codes when I need a helping hand.

Somehow, I am starting to realy like Heroes 5, with the many player-made maps; and even though I'm still on the third scenario of the first campaign … it's showing promise. At least the voice acting seems to be improved … I'll have to make my final judgement after I finish all the campaigns.

Zmeyw
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zmeyw » 29 Nov 2006, 23:30

That's all good that you talkin' to, but...

I have a console and everything seems to be fine except that no one of the commands (e.g codes) is working. System accept all of them but no feedback and no reaction - are you seen something like this?
When the command is wrong - the system say that, when it's fine - completely NO reaction - system accept it and that's all... Nasty...

Any help will be very appreciated, guys !!! ;)

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 29 Nov 2006, 23:40

Zmeyw wrote:That's all good that you talkin' to, but...

I have a console and everything seems to be fine except that no one of the commands (e.g codes) is working. System accept all of them but no feedback and no reaction - are you seen something like this?
When the command is wrong - the system say that, when it's fine - completely NO reaction - system accept it and that's all... Nasty...

What do you mean by nothing? When you type it correctly, all you will see on the console is the line you typed. But you should see the result in the game.

For instance, if you type 'add_money' and hit enter, all you will see in the console is what you typed - 'add_money'.
But when you close the console, you will see you have money.

I am not an expert with this, though. It may be a conflict of some sort.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 30 Nov 2006, 02:09

Zmeyw wrote:That's all good that you talkin' to, but...

Be sure to COPY the updated autoexec_a1.cfg file from the C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/Heroes of Might and Magic 5 to the correct Hammers of Fate Profile directory in your Documents and Settings/Your Name/My Documents/My Games/Heroes of Might and Magic 5/Hammers of Fate/Profiles directory for the commands to work.

Good Luck & Have Fun! :-D

eterra
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

danm cheat codes!

Unread postby eterra » 03 Jan 2007, 00:43

hmm... no matter what i do. those cheat codes. wont do! :ill: plz. make a noop guide for me :-D

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

console in HOF

Unread postby dark raider » 14 Jan 2007, 12:27

I have tried everything... but I can't get the damn console to work...can somebody please help me..with this...

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

console cheats

Unread postby dark raider » 14 Jan 2007, 15:54

Now I finally got the console to work...but the codes won't work..
when I type in ex. Add_money 100....nothing happens....and I does not have the money or resources when i close down the console????
what more is needed??? SOME ONE HEEELLLPPP!!!

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

MY Bad

Unread postby dark raider » 14 Jan 2007, 16:06

MY Bad...

I had forgotten that you need to write in the console after you start a map...: enable_cheats..... with small letters...the the cheats will work

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: MY Bad

Unread postby HodgePodge » 16 Jan 2007, 16:08

dark raider wrote:Now I finally got the console to work...but the codes won't work..
when I type in ex. Add_money 100....nothing happens....and I does not have the money or resources when i close down the console????
what more is needed??? SOME ONE HEEELLLPPP!!!
Be aware that ONLY the @CheatCodes work after patch 1.2. add_money 100 will no longer work.
dark raider wrote:MY Bad...

I had forgotten that you need to write in the console after you start a map...: enable_cheats..... with small letters...the the cheats will work
Only the codes which start with the @ sign will work after patch 1.2.

ace_krusher
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Help?

Unread postby ace_krusher » 07 Mar 2007, 04:59

I can't get the console to work. I have followed the instructions, edited the main autoexec_1 file and made a copy in my personal profiles and made the proper edit to the input_a1.cfg files.

I'm playing on a laptop which has no key beside the number 1. I've heard that it doesn't matter what the symbol is but it depends on the key which is above the tab key and beside the number 1 key on the keyboard. Is this true? Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Grail Quest
Scout
Scout

Re: Help?

Unread postby Grail Quest » 21 Jul 2007, 19:10

ace_krusher wrote:I've heard that it doesn't matter what the symbol is but it depends on the key which is above the tab key and beside the number 1 key on the keyboard. Is this true? Can anyone help me? Thanks.
I haven't heard this rumor, but the file appears to just be keybindings, and nothing special. Have you already tried using any other character not already bound to another action?

Grail Quest
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Grail Quest » 21 Jul 2007, 19:12

In the directory ...\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V Collector Edition\profiles\default_profile there is what appears to be the .cfg templates. If you edit input_a1.cfg there, you can have the console enabled in every new profile created. (That is, if you ever make new ones.)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Oct 2007, 16:53

Still worth a sticky?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”