1.4 problems, post yours here!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 19:36

What world are you living in when you consider that everyone has to have a desktop?Its like saying,some 20 years ago to someone that has just a computer with TV ccard "I cant believe you dont have a TV,youre insane!".


And that TV card would actually need to be hooked up to a Tv to record things from it. As for the world that I am living in, as I already stated, thousands upon hundreds of thousands(if not millions) of people own a desktop. Laptops are very expensive and you could build your own desktop, where as with a laptop, unless you know what you're doing, you really can't build your own and would have to buy one that's premade(ergo the major expense that a laptop has).

fly away
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 110
Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Location: Calgary

Postby fly away » Nov 13 2006, 19:49

The Mad Dragon wrote:Laptops are very expensive and you could build your own desktop, where as with a laptop, unless you know what you're doing, you really can't build your own and would have to buy one that's premade(ergo the major expense that a laptop has).

I really think you should wake up and look around :-) The reality is just about opposite to what you say.

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 19:54

Well, from my experience, Laptops are usually over $1000, and unless you are in a well paying job, you win the lottery, or are supplied a laptop.

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Nov 13 2006, 19:58

The Mad Dragon wrote:And that TV card would actually need to be hooked up to a Tv to record things from it.


Come again?I have no TV myself,I can freely watch everything on my computer,and record it if I want.

The Mad Dragon wrote: As for the world that I am living in, as I already stated, thousands upon hundreds of thousands(if not millions) of people own a desktop.


So,when everyone was using chariots and horses,those that bought the first cars were actually idiots because there were no gas stations?

The Mad Dragon wrote: Laptops are very expensive and you could build your own desktop, where as with a laptop, unless you know what you're doing, you really can't build your own and would have to buy one that's premade(ergo the major expense that a laptop has).


Again,more of an incentive for companies to make sure all those configurations are supported,not less.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on Nov 13 2006, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 110
Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Location: Calgary

Postby fly away » Nov 13 2006, 19:59

The Mad Dragon wrote:Well, from my experience, Laptops are usually over $1000, and unless you are in a well paying job, you win the lottery, or are supplied a laptop.

Gaming desktops are quite expensive. You can get a desktop for 10k (I am not sure if that would be enough for H5 though) and you can get a laptop for 600$ (new, not used), not sure if you could play H5 on that, but that's not the point. So as always, you need to balance your budget with your demands - no matter desktop or laptop.

User avatar
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3316
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Jolly Joker » Nov 13 2006, 20:03

May seem strange to some here, but I have to side with rainjaguar here.

Especially when you have a continuing story you want to have a way to continue on through the story without having to play each and every map - some maps may simply be too boring, difficult, repetitive or whatever to really play them out, but missing the rest of the stuff is clearly not the way to go: nowhere is stated that you need a specific skill to play all maps or do have to invest a certain amount of time. It's a game you bought for your leisure, not a test.

Second, Mad Dragon, I don't know the world you live in, but in my world NO ONE has a desktop anymore. The reason is, when you consider that you need a lot of additional stuff for a desktop - for example a display screen, suddenly a laptop isn't that espensive anymore. Now figure in the fact that WLAN doesn't make that much sense with a desktop but is a blast with a Laptop allowing you to sit on your porch or terrace nice and comfy instead at your desk, and the fact that you can take it with you on your holiday or if you are away on business and suddenly you don't have any good reason to go for a desktop anymore except the fact that it is still the cheaper solution.

User avatar
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 5475
Joined: 27 Aug 2006

Postby Elvin » Nov 13 2006, 20:07

Jolly Joker wrote:May seem strange to some here, but I have to side with rainjaguar here.

Especially when you have a continuing story you want to have a way to continue on through the story without having to play each and every map - some maps may simply be too boring, difficult, repetitive or whatever to really play them out, but missing the rest of the stuff is clearly not the way to go: nowhere is stated that you need a specific skill to play all maps or do have to invest a certain amount of time. It's a game you bought for your leisure, not a test.



In this respect H3 was pretty good.There were some starting campaigns to chose yet you had to go through them all to unlock the rest.I wish the same was in H5 but maybe in the future.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 20:12

As I have already stated atleast twice, I know PLENTY(as in, lots) of people that have a desktop that use it for video capturing, editing, game playing, etc.

I will admit that yes, a computer CAN get expensive if you need to buy a monitor along with it.

I sit on my couch when I use my desktop and I am quite comfy.

And last that I know of, laptops are difficult to upgrade. Desktops are easy to upgrade and customize to what you want. Laptops generally come already built, unless you know of a place that builds laptops.

If I am going mobile and absolutely need one, then yes, I will buy it, but when it comes to gaming, I will still use a desktop.

Also, my computer isn't $10,000 and it runs H5 fine.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 110
Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Location: Calgary

Postby fly away » Nov 13 2006, 20:17

The Mad Dragon wrote:Also, my computer isn't $10,000 and it runs H5 fine.
Mine was 2k as of May. And it doesn't. Again graphics - the biggest achievement of Niva - is not an issue.

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 20:21

Whats your graphics card?

Mine is Raidion(sp??) Powercolour 9250 - 128 megs.

Actually, mine is probably less than 2k. It's my parents comp that I've pretty much have taken over and have been updating it.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 110
Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Location: Calgary

Postby fly away » Nov 13 2006, 20:25

The Mad Dragon wrote:Whats your graphics card?

Mine is Raidion(sp??) Powercolour 9250 - 128 megs.
Radeon X1800 GTO 256Mb. But as I said - graphics is not the issue. The problem is the LONG AI TURNS. That's all I am complaining about.

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 20:27

Long Ai.......no idea what would cause that....different programming perhaps?

User avatar
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3316
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Jolly Joker » Nov 13 2006, 20:27

That's all beside the point: last time I looked a Laptop was a PC. So if your laptop fulfills the minimum requirements in terms of processor speed, video adapter memory, RAM and OS the game should run just fine on it (as on a desktop). If it doesn't, clearly something is wrong (as is when not running on a desktop).
And the fact remains that you cannot take a desktop with you on a holiday or business trip - which is rather near if you can. A laptop is a rather versatile thing. The fact that a laptop is more expensive than a comperable desktop doesn't mean it should be ignored when checking whether a game will run on it or not.
And by the way my laptop was 1000 € and runs H 5 just fine even on the highest video settings and resolution.

User avatar
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3316
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Jolly Joker » Nov 13 2006, 20:29

Lol, just read the last posts. For my 1000 € I got 256 MB video memory with 15.4 wide screen crystal brite technology. Depends on when you buy things.

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Nov 13 2006, 20:29

1 GB ram here and no problem with AI turns.However,the problem is in playing it for long,when "quick" save starts draging,and "quick" load takes between 30 seconds and a minute(I use autosave,so that is why the memory gets eaten so fast).

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 20:32

Yes, but can you upgrade a laptop? Last time I checked, you can't. So you would have to buy a brand new laptop to just meet the requirements.

Gaming wise a desktop is more versitile in that aspect. Laptops are generally used more towards business needs and ppl on the go.

Like I said, if I need a laptop, I'll look into it, but for now, I am perfectly happy with my upgradeable desktop.

Anyways, enough talk between the differences of laptops and desktops. On to what this topic is about.

Don't get me wrong, you do make some good points, just IMO, at this time, desktops are more versetile.

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 20:34

DaemianLucifer wrote:1 GB ram here and no problem with AI turns.However,the problem is in playing it for long,when "quick" save starts draging,and "quick" load takes between 30 seconds and a minute(I use autosave,so that is why the memory gets eaten so fast).


I didn't like the auto-save and how long it took, so I turned it off and I just save when I need to, to help that issue along.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 110
Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Location: Calgary

Postby fly away » Nov 13 2006, 21:19

DaemianLucifer wrote:1 GB ram here and no problem with AI turns.
2Gb here and there is a problem. My pc is well above the recommended config. Well, no point in arguing really as there is no way I can prove that it's slow to people who think it's fast, as well as there is no way they can prove to me that it's fast as I see it slow right here :)

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 21:21

Isn't Irony fun?

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Nov 13 2006, 21:25

Well the computer itself seems fast.As for the game being optimised corectly,thats another story.


Return to “Heroes V-VI”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests