1.4 problems, post yours here!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

rainjaguar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Nov 2006

Bugs, issues and irritations

Postby rainjaguar » Nov 12 2006, 22:38

I realize that some of these may have been hit, but a few bugs, issues and irriations:

1. The 1.4 patch consistently crashes during the cultist mission (Warlock, msn 3) when the demon player attacks my character in the NW city (city 2) underground. Happens about 1/2 through the battle like clockwork. Had no problems with 1.3, so it is definitely something in 1.4... Yes, I have restarted the mission - three times now in fact.

2. I intensely despise the fact that I can not jump into any campaign - I bought the game, I do not want to do each one in sequence, throw me a bone here. After all, the goal is to have fun and it is irritating the snot out of me to have to do it in the order that Ubisoft decreed. This sort of stuff really annoys those of us with limited time. See also number 1...if one can not get past a mission because it keeps crashing ...

3. Hey, Ubisoft - alot of us don't own desktops anymore. Even more of us own one, but prefer to use our laptops. Is there some reason that you refuse to support laptop chipsets? This is really a question - what gives? None of your recent products support laptops, despite them being the fastest growing segment of the computer industry.

4. Needless to say, I am not purchasing the expansion - unless and until the base game is stable, it is not worth my investment. This is a real shame as I have deeply enjoyed the first 4 HOMM games. This one seems to be a real crash magnet though.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt, 1783

User avatar
Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 353
Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: USA

Postby Kilop » Nov 13 2006, 4:38

bought the game, I do not want to do each one in sequence, throw me a bone here


That is certainly not the first game to have campaign as a serie of following missions...
You want ot skip them, cheat. It is really not that hard.

Is there some reason that you refuse to support laptop chipsets

Get a better one, mine works perfectly fine.

Needless to say, I am not purchasing the expansion - unless and until the base game is stable


Well if you don t buy the upgrades, don t expect the game to be the best possible, but to be fair, remember that they ll continue to patch the old version.

Oh, and stop QQ pls.
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

User avatar
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 15481
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: The campfire .... mostly

Postby asandir » Nov 13 2006, 5:00

2. I intensely despise the fact that I can not jump into any campaign - I bought the game, I do not want to do each one in sequence, throw me a bone here. After all, the goal is to have fun and it is irritating the snot out of me to have to do it in the order that Ubisoft decreed. This sort of stuff really annoys those of us with limited time. See also number 1...if one can not get past a mission because it keeps crashing ...


about the crashing, I hear ya, that sucks, but for the rest .... it's a CAMPAIGN, you have to work your way thru it, that's the point of it all!
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Nov 13 2006, 5:44

Kilop wrote:That is certainly not the first game to have campaign as a serie of following missions...
You want ot skip them, cheat. It is really not that hard.


Yes it is.Much more complicated than an average gamer likes.

Kilop wrote:Get a better one, mine works perfectly fine.


Ah,the famous argument :disagree:

Kilop wrote:Well if you don t buy the upgrades, don t expect the game to be the best possible, but to be fair, remember that they ll continue to patch the old version.


Honestly!You buy a game and you have to buy an upgrade for it to be stable? :|

rainjaguar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Nov 2006

Postby rainjaguar » Nov 13 2006, 11:54

Quote:
bought the game, I do not want to do each one in sequence, throw me a bone here


That is certainly not the first game to have campaign as a serie of following missions...
You want ot skip them, cheat. It is really not that hard.

Quote:
Is there some reason that you refuse to support laptop chipsets

Get a better one, mine works perfectly fine.

Quote:
Needless to say, I am not purchasing the expansion - unless and until the base game is stable


Well if you don t buy the upgrades, don t expect the game to be the best possible, but to be fair, remember that they ll continue to patch the old version.

Oh, and stop QQ pls.



Wow - you know I almost never post on boards for just this sort of high quality discourse. I really feel compelled to respond to this one though.

Maybe cheating is not hard, but for the folks out there working, living, dealing with a significant other, etc, it is not really the first thing that we think of. Gaming is a small aspect of my life, and takes a second hat to the other things going on - probably worth considering.

Laptop chipset support has been a *huge* issue for this game. While I am pleased that yours works, the perennial answer of buy another one is neither economically viable for most people, nor is a game really a driver for buying hardware - at least for me. The computers I own are tools, and gaming is a side effect for my entertainment, not as a primary driver.

Purchasing the add on simply confirms the ability to put forth a product that is not stable, and then instead of concentrating on the bugs, build an add on - sell that, and continue to profit despite the general buginess of the release. It is an economic model that allows quite buggy software to continue to be published. Given all the complaints in the gaming community at large, this appears to be a much bigger problem than just this game.

Since I have no idea what QQ is, I would not know how to stop it. Remember not everyone spends a lot of time posting here. The thread asked for issues - I provided mine.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt, 1783

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Re: Bugs, issues and irritations

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 13:34

2. I intensely despise the fact that I can not jump into any campaign - I bought the game, I do not want to do each one in sequence, throw me a bone here. After all, the goal is to have fun and it is irritating the snot out of me to have to do it in the order that Ubisoft decreed. This sort of stuff really annoys those of us with limited time. See also number 1...if one can not get past a mission because it keeps crashing ...


Are you lazy? What is the point of having a storyline if you are able to jump to the different campaigns. Yes, the goal is to have fun, and you should be having fun. I'm playing through the campaign and having lots of fun.

If you have limited time, then why are you playing a game? Some games require you to sit down for a few hours and concentrate on it. If you are that pressed for time, then don't play it.



3. Hey, Ubisoft - alot of us don't own desktops anymore. Even more of us own one, but prefer to use our laptops. Is there some reason that you refuse to support laptop chipsets? This is really a question - what gives? None of your recent products support laptops, despite them being the fastest growing segment of the computer industry.


What world are you living in that people don't use desktops? I know hundreds of people that use desktops and probably thousands, if not hundred of thousands that have a desktop.

Desktops are much more affordable and not everyone can afford a laptop. If it's not running well on your laptop, then don't run it at all until you get either a laptop that works decently, or a desktop.

4. Needless to say, I am not purchasing the expansion - unless and until the base game is stable, it is not worth my investment. This is a real shame as I have deeply enjoyed the first 4 HOMM games. This one seems to be a real crash magnet though.


I have yet to have H5 crash on me(though I haven't installed the 1.4 version yet.) You know, I've often wondered. If it's needless to say, why say it? Honestly, no one is going to care if you buy the expansion or not. One person is not going to break the company. Yes, you have complaints about the game, but from my POV, I don't see any real justification to them.

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 13:38

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Kilop wrote:That is certainly not the first game to have campaign as a serie of following missions...
You want ot skip them, cheat. It is really not that hard.


Yes it is.Much more complicated than an average gamer likes.


Umm, no it's not. Starcraft had the same thing where you really couldn't go to the other Campaign's until you beat the ones previous(I'll give it that you could access the others, but it still said that you should beat the others first.)

Warcraft is another example. Don't make H5 out to be the only game where you have to follow a series of missions in a campaign, because it's not/

User avatar
Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 353
Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: USA

Postby Kilop » Nov 13 2006, 14:49

Mad dragon, before DL comes and unleashes hell on you, I think he was talking of the dificulty to cheat.

The computers I own are tools, and gaming is a side effect for my entertainment, not as a primary driver.

then don t blame the game. Even if a ford is a nice car very usefull, you ll not winning a racing, or making some wild driving with it anytime soon.

Purchasing the add on simply confirms the ability to put forth a product that is not stable, and then instead of concentrating on the bugs, build an add on - sell that, and continue to profit despite the general buginess of the release.


Honestly!You buy a game and you have to buy an upgrade for it to be stable?


hehehe , basic reading skills guys ... :devious:

remember that they ll continue to patch the old version.
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!

The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 14:57

Well then we have all the basis' covered for when DL comes in here, now don't we? :)

User avatar
Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 353
Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: USA

Postby Kilop » Nov 13 2006, 15:43

beware of the whinning power he or others may unleash, you are never prepared enough!
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!

The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 15:46

I'm always prepared. I know that they can never be happy with something. Even as incomplete as this game is, I am still enjoying it when I play it :)

User avatar
mr.dna
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 60
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby mr.dna » Nov 13 2006, 17:29

rust888 wrote:since 1.4 for me, massive slowdown in AI turns. in 1.3 and before, the AI took about 30 secs max (for 3 AI players). after i installed 1.4, it's about 1 minute EACH. assuming i use my turn quickly, that's about 5 mins for each day, or half an hr for a week....

**anxiously waits for 1.5**


Same for me. The AI seem to take twice the time as previous versions.

User avatar
mr.dna
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 60
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby mr.dna » Nov 13 2006, 17:30

corianteri wrote:
fly away wrote:I didn't think they could make the game even slower, but they somehow managed to do that...


Very true. Although the old maps function very well. The new maps... It takes too much time for the AI to make it's moves that it gets frustrating. And you can't even see what they are doing.


If you lower the enemy map speed to 2nd fastest it will follow the computer when moving.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 110
Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Location: Calgary

Postby fly away » Nov 13 2006, 17:30

Kilop wrote:beware of the whinning power he or others may unleash, you are never prepared enough!
...as if it were worth unleashing whatever at people denying the obvious.

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23263
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Nov 13 2006, 17:46

Kilop wrote:"Even if a ford is a nice car very usefull, you ll not winning a racing, or making some wild driving with it anytime soon."


Really bad example.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Image

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 17:49

I don't even know what he said....what about a ford and in comparison to what?

User avatar
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2014
Joined: 24 May 2006
Location: US

Postby PhoenixReborn » Nov 13 2006, 18:05

mr.dna wrote:If you lower the enemy map speed to 2nd fastest it will follow the computer when moving.


This is not true, at least not in my game.

Here is what I discovered:

If you are in single player mode, campaign or scenario it is normal (as in previous heroes games) and you can see what the a.i. armies are doing in the territory you've uncovered from fog.

If you are in multiplayer mode you can not see what is happening after you end your turn.

I find it annoying, but it must have something to do with simultaneous turns. If you look at the expansion there are ten new multi maps and 5 new scenarios.

User avatar
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2704
Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere deep in the Caribbean...
Contact:

Postby Metathron » Nov 13 2006, 18:58

rust888 wrote:since 1.4 for me, massive slowdown in AI turns. in 1.3 and before, the AI took about 30 secs max (for 3 AI players). after i installed 1.4, it's about 1 minute EACH. assuming i use my turn quickly, that's about 5 mins for each day, or half an hr for a week....

**anxiously waits for 1.5**


Oh, my. The sluggish pace of the AI turns was the main reason why I avoided playing XL maps in HoMM V (and the irony lies in the fact that I love XL maps), and 1.4 introduces an additional slowdown? Dear lord, that is awful, and thanks for the tip!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

User avatar
The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2179
Joined: 06 Nov 2006
Location: Chatham, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Mad Dragon » Nov 13 2006, 18:59

That is why I don't want to take the chance of updating to 1.4. I'd rather not have my game slowdown

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Re: Bugs, issues and irritations

Postby DaemianLucifer » Nov 13 2006, 19:19

The Mad Dragon wrote:Are you lazy? What is the point of having a storyline if you are able to jump to the different campaigns. Yes, the goal is to have fun, and you should be having fun. I'm playing through the campaign and having lots of fun.


I would take your side here if not for one tiny fact:HV has no story.If you call that thing with a few cutscenes,poor voice acting and characters as live as a innanimate carbon rod a story,well then *cenzored* :devil:

The Mad Dragon wrote:If you have limited time, then why are you playing a game? Some games require you to sit down for a few hours and concentrate on it. If you are that pressed for time, then don't play it.


Honestly :rolleyes: Who are you to tell anyone how to play and what games to play?

The Mad Dragon wrote:What world are you living in that people don't use desktops? I know hundreds of people that use desktops and probably thousands, if not hundred of thousands that have a desktop.

Desktops are much more affordable and not everyone can afford a laptop. If it's not running well on your laptop, then don't run it at all until you get either a laptop that works decently, or a desktop.


What world are you living in when you consider that everyone has to have a desktop?Its like saying,some 20 years ago to someone that has just a computer with TV ccard "I cant believe you dont have a TV,youre insane!".

The Mad Dragon wrote:I have yet to have H5 crash on me(though I haven't installed the 1.4 version yet.) You know, I've often wondered. If it's needless to say, why say it? Honestly, no one is going to care if you buy the expansion or not. One person is not going to break the company. Yes, you have complaints about the game, but from my POV, I don't see any real justification to them.


True,one person wont matter,but Im seeing lots of fans quiting on the game.Too bad that shiney sells,because if not for sheep that will buy the game for shiney,ubi would go down with this one.

The Mad Dragon wrote:Umm, no it's not. Starcraft had the same thing where you really couldn't go to the other Campaign's until you beat the ones previous(I'll give it that you could access the others, but it still said that you should beat the others first.)


In SC you only had to type enter cheat enter.Simple as that.No editing of game files,no turning on the console,no bypasing anything.And in SC you could play any campaign you want.So what if it gave you a warning?It didnt force you to play them in order.

The Mad Dragon wrote:Warcraft is another example. Don't make H5 out to be the only game where you have to follow a series of missions in a campaign, because it's not/


Again,in WC cheating was as simple as enter cheat enter.

Kilop wrote:then don t blame the game. Even if a ford is a nice car very usefull, you ll not winning a racing, or making some wild driving with it anytime soon.


Actually you are wrong here.So very very wrong.Computers are multi purpose tools.And if your computer meets the minimum recomendations,you expect the game to run on your computer.If it doesnt,then youve been screwed.Using your car analogy,it would be like someone selling you a car saying that you can use 1 liter of gas to cross 15 kilometers,but neglecting to say that it requires a special type of gas,otherwise it wont run at all.

Kilop wrote:hehehe , basic reading skills guys ... :devious:

remember that they ll continue to patch the old version.


Basic memory skills:

Kilop wrote:Well if you don t buy the upgrades, don t expect the game to be the best possible


Return to “Heroes V-VI”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests