Heroes V won't run

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
AndrewN
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes V won't run

Unread postby AndrewN » 06 Nov 2006, 19:11

My copy of heroes V has stopped working, when I run it I get the initial splash screen and then it exits to windows before the movies start. There are no error messages, it just tries to send a report to microsoft, followed by Dr Watson. I have looked at the DVD and it seems to be OK and it can be read.

It ran fine last night, and I am not aware of installing anything extra today. I have tried the ususal: rebooting the computer; switching the computer off for an hour; uninstalling, reinstalling and patching heroes V; uninstalling, defragmenting the disk, reinstalling and patching and I get the same result.

I did think of trying the Ubisoft support desk, but I have always had problems logging in to the site, and it is still giving me grief, but I can't query it as I can't log in and round and round we go.

So, any ideas why heroes has failed me? Anyone know where to look to see what is going on? Or do I go and play Neverwinter Nights 2?

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 06 Nov 2006, 21:20

If other games are running fine, then the reason is that some of your Windows resources are damaged. That includes huge set of libraries and drivers.
First thing I would recomend is renaming video folder in HoMM5 root to something diffrent, so game will skip movies. That would solve thing if problem is in movies playback. If not, that would show that its not. :)
Also try deinstalling game and manualy removing every registry key related to heroes5 and user settings by deleting
\Documents and Settings\[USER]\My Documents\My Games\Heroes of Might and Magic V\
folder. And instaling game again after that.
Next try reinstall DirectX, and video drivers.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 06 Nov 2006, 21:35

MistWeaver wrote:I
Next try reinstall DirectX, and video drivers.
Video drivers may be the cause, but there is no way to reinstall DirectX unless a new version is out AFAIK.

AndrewN
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AndrewN » 07 Nov 2006, 21:06

This is the bizarrist thing. OK, I have been messing about with computers for 25 years so it may not be the bizarrist thing ever, but it is close :)

MistWeaver, thanks for the advise. I tried your suggestions but they didn't work. Then I tried a few similar ideas like reverting back to the previous version of the video drivers. Still nothing :(

Then I reinstalled the game (again) and tried it without patching and it worked. 'YES' I thought, patched it to 1.3 and it failed again.

So another uninstall/reinstall (I am getting good at this :D ) and I tried each version as I went, 1.0 OK; 1.1 OK; 1.2 OK. At this point I downloaded the 1.3 patch again and installed it and Heroes works again.

I just can't explain why. Dose Heroes refer to a downloaded patch in a different folder on a different drive?

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 07 Nov 2006, 22:51

Sounds like phantom opera :)

Ok, if you still have that "strange" patch 1.3 - make binary compare with new one. ([File->Compare by content] in total commander)Maybe you've downloaded damaged archive first time.. But if they will be equal - then I even dont know what to think :)

AndrewN
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AndrewN » 08 Nov 2006, 21:10

MistWeaver wrote:Sounds like phantom opera :)

Ok, if you still have that "strange" patch 1.3 - make binary compare with new one. ([File->Compare by content] in total commander)Maybe you've downloaded damaged archive first time.. But if they will be equal - then I even dont know what to think :)
Alas, I just copied over it :(

I had been using the patch since it came out so I am puzzled as well.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”