Dragon utopia tips

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
-BiS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Dragon utopia tips

Unread postby -BiS » 29 Oct 2006, 00:52

We all know how to take out a dragon utopia early on wtih heaven troops, but is there another trick to do it with another faction?

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 29 Oct 2006, 01:01

I took it with Razzak with golems and gremlins pretty early

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 29 Oct 2006, 01:25

if you don't have tactics, how do you place your golems so the gremlins don't get nuked?

Kashrlyyk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Dragon utopia tips

Unread postby Kashrlyyk » 29 Oct 2006, 07:10

-BiS wrote:We all know how to take out a dragon utopia early on wtih heaven troops, but is there another trick to do it with another faction?
What do you mean with early? Which week?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Oct 2006, 10:49

Meaning that with haven you can take it as soon as start of month two,with some luck.Same can be done with sulvan,imo,but I havent tried.Golems+master gremlins might work before the patch.

-BiS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby -BiS » 29 Oct 2006, 11:10

So basically the same strategy can be applied with different troops to achieve the same effect, ok. To be honest i was hoping for a different approach, anyone?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Oct 2006, 11:52

I dont see it posible in any other way.At least not that early.Either necro+raise zombies to death,or sylvan hunters+a bunch of pixies or dancers,or haven crossbowman+a bunch of peasants.As for academy,I dont see it possible now(that early at least).With inferno it is much tougher,but cerberi+gating just might do the trick.As for dungeon,spells coupled with furies and assassins might work,but Im not so sure,as this requires minotaurs as meat.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 29 Oct 2006, 17:11

Short of exploting the AI's shortcomings or odd damage formulas I don't know of anything in particular that could be done reliably.

IMHO I'd prefer to see at least 4 stacks of dragons [and more in each stack] without any morale penalties. This way at least you feel like you've earned something :)

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 30 Oct 2006, 06:13

For me it depends on what I can afford to lose. With Sylvan, I go in with my Dancers, Dragons, Treants, and Unicorns, planning to sacrifice a lot of Dancers anda few Treants. If I can't afford the losses, I have to bring the Master Hunters and Druids and try for a fast kill. In this case, I like to have Mass Haste and Resurrection as a backup.

BTW: What is this method for Haven we are all supposed to know?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 30 Oct 2006, 06:17

Using a few stacks of single peasants and a stack (or two) of marksmen. Lure the dragons close (but set the peasants where the dragons can't reach the marksmen) and then use the marksmen's special to wreak havoc on the dragons.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 31 Oct 2006, 19:07

Mytical wrote:Using a few stacks of single peasants and a stack (or two) of marksmen. Lure the dragons close (but set the peasants where the dragons can't reach the marksmen) and then use the marksmen's special to wreak havoc on the dragons.
Those marksmen had better wreak their havoc mighty fast, cause when those dragons reach them it's all over.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 31 Oct 2006, 19:26

That's what the peasants are for. With luck, the dragons needs to kill all six of them before getting acess to the marksmen.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Oct 2006, 22:13

Caradoc wrote: Those marksmen had better wreak their havoc mighty fast, cause when those dragons reach them it's all over.
They do,and thats the point.When dragons are 3 tiles away,crossbowmen do massive damage,because they ignore defense of the target.

Phoenix_1973
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Phoenix_1973 » 31 Oct 2006, 23:58

I frequently explore DU's on week 5 with an army of 5 shadow dragons , 30 grim raiders , 60-70 blood furies , 4 stacks of shadow witches and emrowed destructive spells ( meteor shower if lucky ) .

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 01 Nov 2006, 00:28

most utopia's I have fought usually have emerald dragons in them, and there is no way i can see to place your ranged units so the emeralds (or the blacks) can't damage them on the first turn without tactics.

put your archers in the corner? nope. there is no postion you can place your "blockers" that won't allow the dragons to hit both the blocker and your ranged units.

I really can't figure out what folks are talking about here.

with tactics, of course, you can separate the blockers and the ranged units by one space, and still block the dragons from attacking your ranged units.

how do you do it otherwise?

Shauku
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shauku » 01 Nov 2006, 02:31

There is the case when the obstacles aid you. So that when you put a peasant diagonally from the Marksmen in the corner, the Dragon cannot attack them both because of a log or something similar preventing the right angle.

And when they kill the peasant..*BOOM* the Marksmen kill all Dragons in the stack. And the next peasant takes the position of the martyr.

This is what the talk is about http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=582

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 01 Nov 2006, 05:28

Granted, I haven't done it since the last patch, but I did it with every faction in 1.2 by the end of Week 4.

The main trick is 'abusing' certain things against the AI. It has predictable behaviors, and you can choose troop types that can work against it.

It's a little bit harder in the latest patch, since it's hard to build as big of an army. However, most strategies against neutrals do not involve more than 3-4 troop types, even if they are Dragons... so there's not really that much difference.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 01 Nov 2006, 05:42

Let's do some math. DU will have a minimum of 12 dragons at around 200 HP each, so figure 2400 HP total. Since a Marksman does about 5 points, it will take something like 480 hits. Since you're not going to keep the dragons at bay more than 3 turns, that's 160 hits per turn. That's a whole lot of Marksmen, but not out of the question. But if you get the Spectral Dragons, you'll need at least twice that.

Of course for cheaters this is not a concern. Just reload and try again later.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 01 Nov 2006, 05:45

Dont forget however that marksman negate all defense points with their special..thus doing bonus damage. So it does not take as many as you might think :).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Nov 2006, 07:43

Besides, only Sylvan dragons act significantly more often than the marksmen. For the other types, you'll get more time- about 5 or 6 actions if you can use all your 6 blocker stacks. Then there's also the hero to help out- haste or morale would go a long way here.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Heroes V-VI”