AI in Heroes of Might and Magic 5 - Nival principles

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Please read the first post first. Your opinion on what H5 AI should be like:

Agree with Nival. I feel myself entartained only when I win. So AI should lose(yield) to me after some time.
10%
Not agree. AI in H5 should play as close to human as it can. That would entertain me.
90%

Total votes: 71

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 31 Oct 2006, 13:05

That last post finally and obviously makes it perfectly clear what I find so horrendously silly about all this. The whole time some people complain about the dumb AI and the massive amount of 10000 gold per day it gets on normal and additional creatures and who knows what, in short about massive cheating. Now some official says no, that is not so. And now it looks better? Are you freaking kidding? What some Nival guy says, doesn't have any influence on how the game plays, and the game plays basically the same, AI-wise, since 1.2.
That means, the whole complaing is a theoretical thing; it doesn't really matter how the game plays against the AI, right? The only thing that matters is the principle: Thou shalt not cheat!
Now it turns out it doesn't, and "it looks better". It's still the same old AI. It plays the same way, how can it look better?
This discussion sure is finished for me.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 31 Oct 2006, 13:23

Jolly, what a hell are you talking about ?

First of all I didnt wrote something like "cool, now it plays better" Im sure It still plays like sh*t. But the good things I heard from nival is that at least it stoped cheating as before.
Thats right as before

So there were 10k on normal. And yes I would enjoy this game a bit more knowing that AI is not cheating like hell.
Do I look like a freak because of that ?

Now it turns out it doesn't, and "it looks better". It's still the same old AI. It plays the same way, how can it look better?
You did not understand me here: by "Now" I have meant 1.3 - because I didnt play much since june.
And by "it looks better to me" - Ive meant "whole picture" of AI design. The design was changed in 1.2 I did not know that.

I just dont understand why you have gone so mad ?
Last edited by MistWeaver on 31 Oct 2006, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 31 Oct 2006, 13:58

MistWeaver wrote:At last I received answer from OldBoy at nival forum. He said following:

- AI does not receive creatures from nowhere (excluding scripts of course)
- AI has population quantity same as human
- neutrals join AI by same rules as they join human
- From patch 1.2. AI does not receive cheat money. Instead he has cheaper buildings & creatures. From equal on easy till 30% on heroic

So.. if everything is pure truth, situatuion looks bit better to me. Now AI depends on economy.. at least a little.
<EDITED ... I misread the original post>

I'm not convinced that the AI doesn't get a higher join percentage than humans. A few days ago I saw the AI walk around my castle and they picked up 2 joins out of the only 2 creatures that they walked up to. A 100% join rate seems a little high ....

As for the AI funding if their buildings and creatures only cost 30% of what I have to pay on heroic then that explains how they end up with so much extra $.

I'm not sure which system I prefer [the AI gets bonuses in some manner OR the AI has cheaper buildings/creatures]. Either way the size of the bonus seems to be a little too extreme.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Oct 2006, 15:02

Jolly Joker wrote:That last post finally and obviously makes it perfectly clear what I find so horrendously silly about all this. The whole time some people complain about the dumb AI and the massive amount of 10000 gold per day it gets on normal and additional creatures and who knows what, in short about massive cheating. Now some official says no, that is not so. And now it looks better? Are you freaking kidding? What some Nival guy says, doesn't have any influence on how the game plays, and the game plays basically the same, AI-wise, since 1.2.
That means, the whole complaing is a theoretical thing; it doesn't really matter how the game plays against the AI, right? The only thing that matters is the principle: Thou shalt not cheat!
Um.let me bold something for you:
MistWeaver wrote: So.. if everything is pure truth, situatuion looks bit better to me. Now AI depends on economy.. at least a little.
Situation looks better.Not AI plays better,but the situaton looks better.There are the problems with AI:
1)its dumb
2)it cheats its fourfivefive off.
So,if one of those is resolved it is an improvement.Its not the best that can be done,but it is a bit better.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Oct 2006, 15:46

Alamar wrote: As for the AI funding if their buildings and creatures only cost 30% of what I have to pay on heroic then that explains how they end up with so much extra $.
At least it doesn't do it on normal anymore.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 31 Oct 2006, 15:57

JJ do you know if they will fix the way they calculate retreating in 1.4? I can't get a decent battle unless I capture someone in a castle.

I've been playing Heroes 3 for about a week and the adventure map a.i. is better in 3. In Heroes 5 it isn't agressive enough, coming behind me and assaulting castles...if I put a single unit in a castle a big enemy army will not attack.

Still the battlefield a.i. in both games makes obvious mistakes...surely they could have a walker neutral take more than one step forward when faced with ranged units. And why do they charge out when they could stay inside walls.

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 31 Oct 2006, 16:14

. And now it looks better? Are you freaking kidding? What some Nival guy says, doesn't have any influence on how the game plays, and the game plays basically the same, AI-wise, since 1.2.
QFT
JJ do you know if they will fix the way they calculate retreating in 1.4? I can't get a decent battle unless I capture someone in a castle.
QFT
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 31 Oct 2006, 16:17

ThunderTitan wrote: At least it doesn't do it on normal anymore.
TT, according to OldBoy, it have no resourse cheat on easy. So on normal, I belive it should pay about 70-80% of original price on everything.

But there is another problem.. solvable at least. Nival made AI on first three levels handicaped. On normal it builds once per two days, like JJ mentioned. Stupid.. Why not give it full power but remove cheats.. ?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Oct 2006, 16:25

Kilop wrote: QFT
You're a bit confused about what that means.
TT, according to OldBoy, it have no resourse cheat on easy. So on normal, I belive it should pay about 70-80% of original price on everything.
Great, it only plays without help when it gets restricted. And yes JJ, i know that it prob did that in the previous ones too, don't mean i have to like it.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 31 Oct 2006, 16:45

As was mentioned earlier we can experiment with
\GameMechanics\RPGStats\DefaultStats.xdb
to solve that.

The first thing that comes to head, is to put heroic settings on normal/easy

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 31 Oct 2006, 18:03

PhoenixReborn wrote:JJ do you know if they will fix the way they calculate retreating in 1.4? I can't get a decent battle unless I capture someone in a castle.
Strange to hear all these talks about retreating opponents. They've never retreated from me regardless of how bad it seemed to the opponent.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 31 Oct 2006, 18:07

fly away wrote: Strange to hear all these talks about retreating opponents. They've never retreated from me regardless of how bad it seemed to the opponent.
Yep. They either never retreat losing the hero or they always retreat before the battle starts and you get 0 xp.

@ Mistweaver: I didn't see a mod changing retreat values on the CH mod page...since you have shown me the location I can try to go in and do it myself...but to me this is something Nival should fix.

By the way I'd recommend to everyone the mod that changes the hero paper doll to a human figure...very nice.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Oct 2006, 18:31

They retreated normaly for me in 1.0 on hard.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 01 Nov 2006, 00:19

Now some official says no, that is not so.
that's not what it said at all. read again.

the AI gets cheap (read FREE, as far as i can tell from the data files), and cheap (not sure just how cheap, but following the log in the console, it looks like the AI can certainly buy more creatures than it can afford).

so, uh, that would be cheating, yes?

what difference if it gets 10k per day or not, if it doesn't have to pay anything to begin with?

Your dismissivness of folks concerns here is what borders on the absurd.

but, I guess we're all used to it by now.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 01 Nov 2006, 15:49

I wonder what these are for :

<EnemyTroopsHealthCoef>400</EnemyTroopsHealthCoef>
<MyTroopsHealthCoef>100</MyTroopsHealthCoef>

Kashrlyyk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kashrlyyk » 01 Nov 2006, 15:51

MistWeaver wrote: - From patch 1.2. AI does not receive cheat money. Instead he has cheaper buildings & creatures. From equal on easy till 30% on heroic
This may be a stupid question, but does that mean AI pays 30% or 70% of the original costs?
MistWeaver wrote:I wonder what these are for :

Enemy has 4 times the amount of health. In which section does this appear?

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 01 Nov 2006, 16:09

Kashrlyyk wrote: This may be a stupid question, but does that mean AI pays 30% or 70% of the original costs?
Yes it pays 3 times less for everything. So its like if you would have 90 000 on start.
Kashrlyyk wrote:
MistWeaver wrote:I wonder what these are for :

Enemy has 4 times the amount of health.
No. That would be stupid and too aloud.
Kashrlyyk wrote: In which section does this appear?
\GameMechanics\RPGStats\DefaultStats.xdb

Kashrlyyk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kashrlyyk » 01 Nov 2006, 16:33

It is in the AI combat section, so I think it determines when to attack.
MistWeaver wrote:
Yes it pays 3 times less for everything. So its like if you would have 90 000 on start.
Great, a 70% increase in income. And that is not cheating money?

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 01 Nov 2006, 16:45

Kashrlyyk wrote: Great, a 70% increase in income. And that is not cheating money?
It is cheat. But its better as it were pre 1.2 where AI received 10k every day if it needed at least some of them.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Nov 2006, 16:47

Kashrlyyk wrote: Great, a 70% increase in income. And that is not cheating money?
Yes, but at least now he has to get the money from somewhere on the map.
what difference if it gets 10k per day or not, if it doesn't have to pay anything to begin with?
See above.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”