AI in Heroes of Might and Magic 5 - Nival principles

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Please read the first post first. Your opinion on what H5 AI should be like:

Agree with Nival. I feel myself entartained only when I win. So AI should lose(yield) to me after some time.
10%
Not agree. AI in H5 should play as close to human as it can. That would entertain me.
90%

Total votes: 71

Shauku
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shauku » 26 Oct 2006, 13:59

Nival should work on the AI with every patch and expansion. Even though they got the psychology of an average gamer right (even though it may be hard to admit), it doen't mean they do not have to improve what they have done.

Smaller bonuses over time are better than big lump at the beginning. Makes the AI perhaps collect those loose resourses.
And something really should be done to the process of skill selection. In h3 they might have had a Mysticism hero, where as now the skills are better in general, which makes the AI heroes ok but not good.

Even though h2 will remain a legend for me of the series, time does have a way of "silvering the lining"
How many of you conquered a Warlock town in H2 and found that there were 20 something Black Dragons to hire? :D

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 26 Oct 2006, 14:26

Jolly Joker wrote:It starts only with Normal resources, by the way.
As I opined in another post: since the AI is no human, I don't expect it to play like a human. IN fact it should not even play like one, because it simply cannot. If I want to play another human I play another human. The AI is some kind of sparring partner and it's aim is not to create the illusion of a human playing on the other side. The AI NEVER plays under the same rules we play - or do we see the whole map, for example?
The important word in my post was "illusion".

We simply have different goals. You want a competitive game at all costs. I want a competitive game that doesn't spoil the illusion that I'm fighting someone playing by the same rules that I am. Tweaks done to enhance this are good as long as the end result means that the AI is still competitive.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Oct 2006, 14:40

As I opined in another post: since the AI is no human, I don't expect it to play like a human. IN fact it should not even play like one, because it simply cannot. If I want to play another human I play another human. The AI is some kind of sparring partner and it's aim is not to create the illusion of a human playing on the other side. The AI NEVER plays under the same rules we play - or do we see the whole map, for example?
But what kind of sparing partner is it if it plays by different rules than your real opponents?And saying that AI will never ever play as good as a human is so wrong.It will play even better(and at that stage machines will concer the earth :devil: )

Psyringe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Psyringe » 26 Oct 2006, 17:06

Thanks a lot for the information. I just recently found these forums because I (finally ;) ) stumbled across a copy of H3 Complete for 2.50 Euro, and since I'm enjoying it, I thought about getting H5 (I tried H4 for a while but never liked it, it seemed totally impossible to lose, and a strategy game without any challenge gets boring fast).

Seems that H5 doesn't meet my expectations of a today's game's AI, so I'll be careful and get some more information first.

I must say however that I'm very surprised to find people who defend an apparantly blatantly cheating AI in a strategy game, even on normal level. This may have been acceptable in the 90's (Civ1 was massively enjoyable despite its heavily cheating AI, and MoM was a great game even though its AI never got anything done *despite* its massive cheating). But I thought we had long outgrown this stage. Games like Civ4 and GalCiv show that it is very well possible to program a good AI that is challenging for the beginning player without cheats.

Of course, a good player will eventually beat any AI on a regular basis. This is when you raise the difficulty. Ideally the game tells me exactly which bonuses the AI gets, and lets me customize them. And that's exactly what I expect from an AI of a newly produced strategy game: in the beginning to challenge me (and even beat me sometimes) without any cheats, and later on to challenge me (and even beat me sometimes) *with* some cheats which I can exactly control.

If Nival really follows a different strategy, that would be quite sad imho, and a good reason for me to stay away from H5 ... but as I'm new here, I'll reserve judgement until I've got better information.

Psyringe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Psyringe » 26 Oct 2006, 17:14

Erm, I don't know your background, but it is perfectly possible for an AI to play like a human, as has been shown by several games (GalCiv for example, Civ4 is another good example, and I don't really know why you bring up map knowledge as a point here, because in recent years it has been shown that AIs can be challenging *without* it, as in Civ4 or GalCiv2). Granted, it's much more difficult to program. It probably requires the AI to be regarded as the most important aspect of the game - and interestingly, games which excel at AI often make compromises with regards to graphics and overall presentation (the graphics of GalCiv1 were, well, functional, but nothing more). That's why I liked GalCiv so much. It concentrated on the meat (AI) and didn't waste time on largely unimportant side features (graphics)

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 26 Oct 2006, 17:53

Skills skills skills. Just make a default path for every hero. If they ain`t lazy they could make even few paths for every hero. Is it cheating? Yes. Will it look like AI is playing another game? No.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Oct 2006, 18:18

Wellcome to the forums!Its always nice to start your career in a debate :devil:
Psyringe wrote:Thanks a lot for the information. I just recently found these forums because I (finally ;) ) stumbled across a copy of H3 Complete for 2.50 Euro, and since I'm enjoying it, I thought about getting H5 (I tried H4 for a while but never liked it, it seemed totally impossible to lose, and a strategy game without any challenge gets boring fast).
Well,you shouldve tried custom maps then.Some of them offer quite a chalenge.

A friendly warning:Dont try arguing JJ with galciv.I tried that once,but it seems that galciv is "A very simple game",so it cannot compare with heroes :devious:
Meandor wrote:Skills skills skills. Just make a default path for every hero. If they ain`t lazy they could make even few paths for every hero. Is it cheating? Yes. Will it look like AI is playing another game? No.
Ah,but thats what simple games as galciv are doing,and its not a good strategy for a complex one such as heroes :devious:

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 26 Oct 2006, 18:43

Just why is it so important, whether the AI cheats or not? I mean, you play against routines developed by someone, mechanisms of play which are blindly followed; you play against some soulless, brainless, clueless somthing, pre-programmed to do things in a certain way.
If it was possible in Heroes to pre-program an AI being a challenge without any cheating, playing just the same way than me, I would obviously either play a game you can play very well by following a certain routine or I would play rather badly.
I think, it is a difference, whether you play an empire style game like GalCiv or Civ (for Ai purposes essentially the same), or whether you play heroes, for the following reasons:
Playing (Gal)Civ it's rather easy to create "personalities". You have a massive "tech" tree on one hand and on the other money to divide between essentially research, buildings that enhance your economical power, buildings necessary to keep the empire going and "units", colonisators or fighters or defenders, no matter. Now, no matter the map (you can make adjustments to the AI depending on map parameters) you can just develop your personalities. A "personality" will follow certain development rules; fixed income dividing; fixed tech-tree. That is a VERY sound way to do things, because it will produce very acceptable and even impressive looking results. One very important thing here is, that you are basically very free in your decisions what to do. For example, you don't have to invest in fighting units as long as there are no opponents in any decent range. Another very important thing is, that you don't need "resources" for building anything other than an income which is generated automatically by what you do. The aim of the game depends on the personality: you may simply try to outproduce everyone else or you may try to conquer everyone else or you may just try to survive or build a diplomatic web or whatever.
Let's have a look at Heroes now. This is a completely different game. As a rule, in most MP maps (which is where the "naked" AI is at work) you have to destroy each other, and you have two main things to do. 1) Build one (or even more, which makes things a lot nore difficult) town up as fast and effectively as possible; 2) Groom a hero that will be able to make the most out of what that town will give you to fight with. You need money and resources for both, but you need troops to get money and resources, for which you need... right. First thing is, you have to identify 1) what you can do with what you have; 2) what you will need in the short, middle and long run to have a smooth building process; 3) what troops you will need to accomplish 2).
Now compare the action. In (Gal)Civ you cannot make immediate mistakes that cost the game; you don't have to decide things early in the game; you explore and develop. In Heroes, attacking a stack and losing half of your force early in the game might be a setback you won't be able to come back from. However, strictly spoken, if the AI knows beforehand, how many units are in a stack and how the result will be when it attacks (which I doubt would make sense to do it any other way), this is a really bad case of cheating. What you expect from the AI is that it will be able to decide that it will need to beat a certain creature stack before a certain mine, because it will need the resource dearly later on, so it has to do everything to beat that specific stack, maybe even sacrificing another important build or part of its army - and all of that just to emulate something like "human" play. And we haven't even touched things like getting certain abilities for your heroes to give certain troops a dearly needed additional square of reach, a dearly needed skill or spell combination made worth the while by a randomly found artifact and so on. We haven't even touched the plethora of possible victory conditions and the possibility to actually trade with each other resources.
Another important thing is, if you want a cheat-free AI you need a cheat free human: no reloads. Or reloads for the AI as well.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 26 Oct 2006, 18:54

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Meandor wrote:Skills skills skills. Just make a default path for every hero. If they ain`t lazy they could make even few paths for every hero. Is it cheating? Yes. Will it look like AI is playing another game? No.
Ah,but thats what simple games as galciv are doing,and its not a good strategy for a complex one such as heroes :devious:
That's bad actually. It would make the game boring because it would be like the CURRENT (capital letters because it won't stay this way) duel mode: you know the heroes inside out: one look into the Thieves guild: oh the AI has Orrin. Let's see, what do we need. Forget it.
My personal opinion is that the game is too fluid and there are too many factors to give each hero one or even two fixed development paths. The only thing wrong with current hero development is that the AI picks not enough abilities. This, however has plusses, too. On hard and heroic you will see the AI cast high level spells on a regular basis, for example.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 26 Oct 2006, 19:22

Jolly Joker wrote: On hard and heroic you will see the AI cast high level spells on a regular basis, for example.
Which you won't on lower levels due to it being prohibited from doing so, which is a kind of odd way to cripple it.

And with regards to cheting: I think the distinction between the different ways of doing it that some are trying to getting at is that it's OK if the AI acts just as it's dumb lucky all the time - seeing exactly when you've left a town unguarded etc., but not if it's doing stuff that no human could ever do, even with the best of luck- i.e. getting huge resource boosts all the time. There has to be a sense of the AI playing by the same basic rules as you do, even if it does so in a manner that's to some extent perfect. The difference between an AI and a human would then appear to be more of one in mindset than in rules- the Ai would be cold and calculating but without much imagnination to come up with clever plans for specific situations.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Oct 2006, 19:28

From your post I see you never tried playing galciv on smal maps dotted with enemies..Or smal civilization with rampaging barbarians.There is no slow exploration and steady economy development,there is only brutal conquest.Even more brutal than in heroes.

zarakand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zarakand » 26 Oct 2006, 19:37

I don't really care if the AI cheats or not, what I do care about is why does it sit and sulk in it's castle when if it came out it could kill me?

Just explain this one to me, or even the following. Why does it let my scout hero take all of its mines and not attempt to take them back? This occurs even when its main hero is in the town, well in reach of the scout with a vastly superior army. This ruins the gameplay, and makes me despise single player.

Who cares if it gets a bazillion resources or can see the map. I just want it to act in a manner that makes sense.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Oct 2006, 20:10

zarakand wrote:I don't really care if the AI cheats or not, what I do care about is why does it sit and sulk in it's castle when if it came out it could kill me?

Just explain this one to me, or even the following. Why does it let my scout hero take all of its mines and not attempt to take them back? This occurs even when its main hero is in the town, well in reach of the scout with a vastly superior army. This ruins the gameplay, and makes me despise single player.
Like I said,it has pure prioritization.It values its town to much,and its forces to little to loose them when out of town.And mines arent its priority since it has infinite resources(big mistake).You know,I encountered the same pattern in HIV when you set the priority of a town to high and give AI daily resource bonuses by an event.Whenever a hero,any hero is a day away from its town,it wont budge.If you leave that area,it may scout a bit,but will return as soon as you come closer again.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 26 Oct 2006, 20:27

hmm, the pattern i always see in H5, is the AI being extremely agressive early on, and continuing to do so until it takes a couple of big losses (like losing its main hero, or a town or two). Then, it gets completely conservative and hunkers down in its primary town.

I haven't played a custom map where this wasn't the pattern so far.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 26 Oct 2006, 20:53

Yes, and one more thing about H5 AI - it almost never loses troops on neutrals and other AI players. Its because nival did "special" combat emulation for it. In other words AI does not use same Quick Combat that we do. It uses special one with which he CAN NOT lose fight vs other AI controled creatures/heroes and suffers almost no loses.
ahh, good. I thought I was going nuts when I once saw the AI take on a stack of 50 archangels and take no losses at all, even though the AI army was equivalent or less in strength. I destroyed the same AI army in the next turn, but even I would have taken major losses from the 50 archangels.

plus, I notice in the bulding resource settings (database files), that there is a "0" build cost setting. It does seem on many maps that the AI pays "0" resources to build things in the towns it owns.

anybody else notice this? I do find often, playing on hard, that the AI has a fully built town weeks before I am even close to being able to do so.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Oct 2006, 21:06

Sir_Toejam wrote: plus, I notice in the bulding resource settings (database files), that there is a "0" build cost setting. It does seem on many maps that the AI pays "0" resources to build things in the towns it owns.
Wait,it gets 10000 gold every day,and it doesnt have to spend it at all? :| 8|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Oct 2006, 21:15

DaemianLucifer wrote: Wait,it gets 10000 gold every day,and it doesnt have to spend it at all? :| 8|
That figures, i recall once the thief guild showed the AI to have insane amounts of gp, which wouldn't make sense if he spend at least part of the 10k.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 26 Oct 2006, 21:28

Does anyone know if there is a console command to be able to simply take control of the AI faction at any given point, to see exactly what the state of the town is, etc?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Oct 2006, 12:13

Jolly Joker wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:
That's bad actually. It would make the game boring because it would be like the CURRENT (capital letters because it won't stay this way) duel mode: you know the heroes inside out: one look into the Thieves guild: oh the AI has Orrin. Let's see, what do we need. Forget it.
My personal opinion is that the game is too fluid and there are too many factors to give each hero one or even two fixed development paths. The only thing wrong with current hero development is that the AI picks not enough abilities. This, however has plusses, too. On hard and heroic you will see the AI cast high level spells on a regular basis, for example.
Not necessarily fixed paths but an inclination to several combos.The skills are still subject to chance but the AI should go for certain abilities according to faction and available spells.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Psyringe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Psyringe » 27 Oct 2006, 19:53

Jolly Joker wrote:Just why is it so important, whether the AI cheats or not? I mean, you play against routines developed by someone, mechanisms of play which are blindly followed; you play against some soulless, brainless, clueless somthing, pre-programmed to do things in a certain way.
It's hard to explain why something is fun and something else isn't ... but let me try. For me, strategy games have (among others) two important aspects: one is the competitive aspect (i.e. you match your abilities against someone else's, be it man or machine), the other is the "quest for the best strategy".

The competitive aspect means that I want to challenge and beat my opponent. I want to win. The better the opponent's playing ability is, the more satisfying a victory will be. Now when I play against a poor opponent, which would be easy to beat, I can give him advantages to make the game more challenging for me. For example, I sometimes do this when I play games with inexperienced players. While this *does* make the game more challenging for me, a victory still isn't very satisfying, because in the end you just beat a poor player, who needed specifdic advantages and rule tweaks to become a challenge. It's not at all as satisfying as winning against a player who really *is* good at the game even without cheats. So, when I play against a cheating AI, a victory won't feel very satisfying because I just beat a poor opponent who cannot really play the game well.

The "quest for the best strategy" aspect that I always try to improve my playing, and I like to monitor how others play and what they achieve. I like these moments when I see somebody (or some AI) pull off something amazing, something I didn't think possible, and I'll try to find out how that can be done, and whether I can incorporate it into my own set of strategies. This aspect of honing one's strategy holds a lot of fun for me, and I consciously stay away from FAQs because they'd spoil the fun of finding those things out by myself. But with a cheating AI, there's nothing to find out. Most amazing things the AI can pull off are based on its cheats, so there's nothing to learn from it, nothing to gain, and not much fun for me.

Jolly Joker wrote:Playing (Gal)Civ it's rather easy to create "personalities".
Sorry for snipping a lot of your post here. ;)

I'm not sure whether I understand what you're getting at. You're saying that in (Gal)Civ it's easier to establish different AI personalities, and that (Gal)Civ is more forgiving to early mistakes of the player (I'm not sure whether the latter is really true, but let's assume it is).

I agree that HoMM is a more straightforward kind of game, and (Gal)Civ provides more room for totally different strategies. I also agree that this makes it easier to create "AI personalities" in (Gal)Civ.

However, this doesn't make a good competitive AI. Take a look at Civ1 - the AI there definitely has different personalties. You'll always see the greek building masses of low-tech units (for example), there are preferred and shunned governments and playing styles for the different AI civilizations. But the AI does still, frankly, suck. And that's partly due to the game design. The same freedom of choice that makes it easy to implement believable different AI personalities, makes it also *harder* to produce a truly competitive or even adaptive AI.

Now if HoMM is a series which has more straightforward gameplay, and less complexity in tech trees, diplomacy strategies, economics etc., then certainly it's more difficult to implement believable different AI personalities in HoMM. But at the same time, it should be *easier* to write a competitive AI for it, *because* it's more straightforward. The AI doesn't have to worry about massive tech trees, intricate diplomacy, or complex economics.

In my experience with the HoMM series (which doesn't encompass H5 so far), the most important decision is which stack to attack and which stack to stay away from. It's relatively easy to get any town going and produce a respectable army - of course there's room for debate about the *best* strategy to do this for a given town type in a given situation, but even if you choose a suboptimal strategy, it won't immediately break your neck. You'll just grow a little slower. Attacking the wrong stack, though, can turn a promising game into a very difficult struggle. But how do you determine whether you'll attack a stack or not? You assess the strength of the creatures, and their numbers (a rough estimate of which is given to you). This assessment is something a good AI can do far better than a human, because the AI has more calculation capacity. If the AI sees "lots" of goblins, it can simulate combats against the smallest and largest possible numbers, see how they turn out, and see how many losses are to be expected. Then it can assess the possible gains - experience for its hero, perhaps access to a mine (which should be weighed accordingly, taking other mines in the AI's possession into account, as well as the towns of the AI and their needs). Finally, it can decide whether the expected gains are worth the expected losses. This decisions is easier for a good AI than it is for a human, without any cheating on the AI's part, simply because of its greater calculation power.

You're probably right that comparisons with (Gal)Civ games are a bit problematic because of the difference in game concepts, but if it helps, think about Warlords II and III. Gameplay was much more similar to the HoMM series than (Gal)Civ games. And interestingly, the strong part of the Warlords series (which was less complex than Civ, for example) was the strength of its AI. Since Warlords is a more straightforward game as Civ, it was easier to write a good, competitive AI for it.

(Side note: For a couple of decades, AI calculation power was severely limited by the fact that the AI had to do all its decisions in a very small timeframe between the player's turns. Modern games, like GalCiv2, let the AI assess situations and plan strategies while the player makes its turn. This is a very viable way to do things because while the player is thinking, there's usually a *lot* of unused CPU power that the AI can put to use.)

The really difficult part for the AI is to build a long-term plan, to evaluate long-term sacrifices, and to assess combat outcomes against the player (who may act totally different from what the AI expects). I don't think I've seen an AI yet that's good enough to rival a player's abilities in that regard. But I'm not talking about these aspects. I'm talking about the comparatively simple decisions like "Can I beat this stack and if yes, are the gains worth the losses?".

And seen in this light, I understand that people who play a HoMM game find it difficult to understand why the AI isn't competitive without cheating, when other, even more complex games manage to do this.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”