Resource Silo

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Resource Silo

Unread postby okrane » 23 Oct 2006, 14:21

Had an idea when playing haven... and I noticed how the angel building required lots of gems to build it... but I found it kind of weird since Haven's main resource, besides wood and ore, is crystal...

So I was thinking that maybe you should be able to determine what kind of resource your resource silo can bring in the next day... I mean you should be able to switch between the six types of resources to select the one you want.

It should be like a customisable mine. Of course, in the case of wood and ore the resource silo should bring 2 of them a day when selected so... I find it to be an interesting solution to the high building costs, especially when having to deal with a resource there is no way to produce. Well you can buy some resources, but that's way too expensive.

So what do you think? Is it a good idea that resource silos should be customisable?

atma6
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby atma6 » 23 Oct 2006, 14:26

That would be really useful, but I would make it so you could only change it once a week.

Or better yet, keep the resource silo and fix the resource imbalance.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 23 Oct 2006, 14:39

Yeah well I find it to be interesting on any resource cost configuration... since you still get one resource per day... it just helps you better adjust to the map...

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Resource Silo

Unread postby Kristo » 23 Oct 2006, 15:23

okrane wrote:So I was thinking that maybe you should be able to determine what kind of resource your resource silo can bring in the next day... I mean you should be able to switch between the six types of resources to select the one you want.
I disagree. Resource availability should be up to the mapmaker. It could be that the map is designed such that you are woefully short on a particular resource. Customizing your Silo circumvents that. However, mapmakers need to thoroughly playtest their maps to ensure they haven't handcuffed any particular town type.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 23 Oct 2006, 16:05

Kristo wrote:
okrane wrote:So I was thinking that maybe you should be able to determine what kind of resource your resource silo can bring in the next day... I mean you should be able to switch between the six types of resources to select the one you want.
I disagree. Resource availability should be up to the mapmaker. It could be that the map is designed such that you are woefully short on a particular resource. Customizing your Silo circumvents that. However, mapmakers need to thoroughly playtest their maps to ensure they haven't handcuffed any particular town type.
Well no... if the mapmaker wants to limit a certain resource he can just disable the resource silo and put whatever mines he wants near your town... so no problem here...
The only way this would help is if there is a hevily guarded mine and you need some resources from it... but not too many, or if you already have a ton of the resourse you need most but you are lacking wood for example... It could help to speed up developement in certain towns early on who have a major need for a certain resource that is not in their essential one. For example... early on with Sylvan you don't need many gems but you need lots of wood... well... you put your silo to gain wood and after you build what you need you switch to gems. Another example is with dungeon. You need lots of crystals for Hydras and Dragons... we all know how useful those deep hydras are early on, and it's difficult to get them early (in heroic it's nearly impossible) due to the high crystal cost... In fact, with dungeon my main problem isn't sulphur, but crystal... and not just for dragons...

I think it could bring an interesting strategy into play... each player should better anticipate what he would need and so to put his silo to work. Mapmakers won't have any hard time, since you can always disable this buiding without any other problem(resource silo isn't a req for any building) and if you should disable you can always put an extra mine to compensate for the loss of the resource silo...

Another aspect of this is the fact that in most maps you won't find more that 1 mine of each near your town. It is an abitude from previous games, but with the high costs in H5 one mine of each is symply not enough.
For example... to fully build a Sylvan town(Shipyard included) you would need 210 wood. Now this with just a wood mine it would take you about 105 days i.e. 3.75 months. Now if this doesnt sound much then think that the main problems you'll be having early on... because let's say upgrades can wait as other buildings not that important... and this is where your silo comes into play... it would greatly help early on... without unbalancing the game or anything... since everybody would have it...
And hey... it was Nival who said that the game should be speed up... I think this is a way to do it without damaging any part of the gameplay

wayne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wayne » 23 Oct 2006, 19:07

I quite agree with Kristo and want to add that the game's design is such that the resource silos are design with their respective race in mid.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 23 Oct 2006, 19:11

Or better yet, keep the resource silo and fix the resource imbalance.
well, there is always that...

viewtopic.php?t=4036

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Oct 2006, 20:16

Heck no! That would make flagging some mines unworthy of your time and you are supposed to fight for what you get.Also sylvan already has mystic pond which is meant to be an asset to the faction.If anyone could get what they wished...
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 23 Oct 2006, 20:30

and now you say that with dungeon it is useless to flag sulphur mines?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Oct 2006, 20:52

Of course not :) Still if you missed only eg mercury for your mage guild you wouldn't care to flag the mine and you'd get it from your resource silo instead.Doesn't feel right.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 23 Oct 2006, 21:06

yeah... but in the meantine you won't be getting sulphur...

I don't know... I find it an interesting option to have... but as nobody sees things my way I guess i should drop it...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Oct 2006, 23:32

I disagree partially.However a good idea would be if there were two different resource silos you could build in every town,but if you build one,you can build the other.So every town could choose between two resources.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 23 Oct 2006, 23:51

that's a good idea. If I could figure out how to implement that, I would do it in a heartbeat.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Oct 2006, 00:16

I doubt you can because it would need two buildings to stand in the place of one.You could do it in the code(I am sure one of the requirements can be "not having"),but I doubt that it can be done graphically,so it would be a mess.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 24 Oct 2006, 03:15

I would rather have them reduce the exchange rates at the marketplace.

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby erased. over. out » 24 Oct 2006, 04:45

okrane wrote: So what do you think? Is it a good idea that resource silos should be customisable?
Personally, I like it the way it is, even though Haven's gem-providing silo is rather odd, especially 'cause (as you said) they need crystals the most. I enjoy trading via the marketplace when I have to fill in a resource or two.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Oct 2006, 08:08

vicheron wrote:I would rather have them reduce the exchange rates at the marketplace.
I believe that's doable.

If anybody is interested, post the request in the modcrafting forum.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 24 Oct 2006, 08:16

Maybe instead of allowing you to choose, a rotating silo might be an option. I do like the idea of changing what silo's give. I just don't see any logic behind it, maybe just missing it. How would this be explained other then 'it's magic'. Anyhow, not really against it or not really for it as proposed..
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Oct 2006, 08:29

Rotating silo is just as plausable.But if you add a cooldown when the resource is changed,then it becomes logical.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 24 Oct 2006, 08:32

DaemianLucifer wrote:Rotating silo is just as plausable.But if you add a cooldown when the resource is changed,then it becomes logical.
Yep didn't say rotating silo was logical :). Just a option lol.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Return to “Heroes V-VI”