Battle Dive of Imp Griffin

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Battle Dive of Imp Griffin

Unread postby ecsunotos » 18 Oct 2006, 05:40

Once Imperial Griffin use dive attack ( their special ability ), they’ll be appear from the high sky, “bomb” the target and then landing on the ground. Can any one tell me the time when Imp Griffin appear from the high sky and bombing the target ? Can we avoid the attack by moving every single unit in our army from their first position ?

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 18 Oct 2006, 05:43

IIRC, it takes one full turn for the battledive to "happen", so yeah, you can move all of your units out of the way (maybe not the REALLY slow ones like zombies).

However, that's kinda like demolishing a building to prevent it from being blown up, isn't it?

you lose your entire turn moving your units around to avoid the battledive, while your opponent essentially gets to act freely.

If you're going to move any units, just move the one most likely to be hit, and leave it at that.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Oct 2006, 05:50

ie your ranged units
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 18 Oct 2006, 06:54

The dodge maneuver can be effective against neutrals. You don't lose a turn, since there's nothing to attack anyway. Meanwhile the hero gets to cast a buff spell and everyone else gets to line up for the kill. The Bgriffs never target your strong troops, so you only need to move the weak ones.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 18 Oct 2006, 06:55

I’ve an experience that the battle dive not happen in full turn. I play academy against neutral stack of Imp Griffin. Just one stack of Imp Griffin. At the beginning of the combat, Imp Griffin w/ the highest initiative creature in the battle field use the battle dive. They dissappear for a while, I begin to move every single unit of mine. Suddenly the Imp Griffin appear and bombing my steel gollem. The Steel gollem is my last unit that I haven’t even moved. The Imp Griffin take twice actions before my gollem :
1.Take off the battle arena to use battle dive
2.Appear from high sky bombing the gollem
So, it’s not a full turn then. Is it because the Imp Griffin’s high initiative so they act twice before the gollem ? So. Can we gues when the Imp Griffin bombing their target ?

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 18 Oct 2006, 06:58

If no haste, slow, ect yes. Before they battle dive look at the ATB..the second time you see them on the ATB will be when the dive bomb lands. Of course if haste, slow or something else changes it..you are on your own.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 18 Oct 2006, 07:02

I have a suspicion that AI-led Imperial Griffins will only target units which it knows it'll hit, i.e. units that won't act before it's next action.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Oct 2006, 07:06

Full turn has a different meaning now.Each units full turn is different because units have different speeds.Griffins full turn is faster then the golems.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 18 Oct 2006, 08:50

stefan.urlus wrote:ie your ranged units
I think that is oversimplifying it. In the Haven campaign I had my Imperial Griffins 'read' where my opponents would move and dive those places. I'd imagine in a real game versus another human player you can't continuously target the same creatures; he'll wise up. You'll have to adapt, read his thoughts and engage in mind games.

Personally I use Battle Dive as a way to put the Imperial Griffins out of danger for the turn (eg. avoiding Ranged fire) as an elaborate method of waiting (they have high initiative anyway). Not sure if this tactic works in player vs. player, but I suspect I could target my opponent's ranged units sometimes and not other times (must be unpredictable). The problem is where the Griffins land after their dive. It could be utter suicide.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 18 Oct 2006, 14:35

I saw an tinteresting thing the other day- was fighting a stack of neutral imperial griffin. Two of the stacks launched into a battle dive, so I moved all my units 2 spaces (except for my fast ground troop which was able to kill the third stack before it had an action.)

The first griffin landed, missing its attack (since I moved), but chose to land on the target spot.
The second set of griffin landed and clobbered the first stack! Now, I was going to easily win the battle anyway, but this gives a word of warning: you can attack your own troops with the battle-dive! If the enemy moves, remember where you are attacking, or you might be in for a nasty surprise!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Oct 2006, 17:34

I wonder what are the chances of griffins landing in the same spot another griffin is about to bomb anyway.That thing must be very rare.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 18 Oct 2006, 19:07

Gaidal Cain wrote:I have a suspicion that AI-led Imperial Griffins will only target units which it knows it'll hit, i.e. units that won't act before it's next action.
Don't think so. I successfully dodge all the time.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 18 Oct 2006, 20:04

Gaidal Cain wrote:I have a suspicion that AI-led Imperial Griffins will only target units which it knows it'll hit, i.e. units that won't act before it's next action.
Yeah, that's for sure. I've seen that lots of times as well. If they don't get an auto-hit this way, they will do a standard action instead.

The griffins will land on their next turn, and that's set as soon as you take off. They cannot be buffed in the air, so keep track of where they were next, because it's not changing unless the other units change Initiative.

Caradoc: You can successfully dodge if you change your own units Init (Haste) and then move out of the way. That's only counting neutral griffins, though. I think hero-led ones may use a different AI.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 19 Oct 2006, 06:23

What's Dodge Maneuver any way? Never heard before. How to activated it ?

Battle dive is a nice ability w/ , offcourse, weaknes : Place of landing is random so the Imp Griffin can block the way of other unit unexpectedly and they can land near strong enemy unit which can kill Imp Griffin stack

RaSmuShaDoW
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby RaSmuShaDoW » 19 Oct 2006, 07:35

My 3 cents:

- you can easily land on your own units if the center of the battle is at the enemies side of the battlefield
- you can get a lucky Battle Dive - that's like a bomb :)
- you shouldn't call Imperial Griffin an Imp Griffin couse it' triggers a funny picture in my head :D

Kashrlyyk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kashrlyyk » 19 Oct 2006, 08:05

ecsunotos wrote:What's Dodge Maneuver any way? Never heard before. How to activated it ?
You just move all your units far enough away, too avoid being hit.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 19 Oct 2006, 08:22

IIRC then during the H5 beta it was revealed on whom the Battle dive will be performed, making the attack easy predictable and dodging was no problem. Nival fixed this and now for the defender this attack can be a real pain especially if he has 2 or more ranged shooter stacks of equal strength. However, sometimes watching the animation it's possible to guess who's the target.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Oct 2006, 17:37

RaSmuShaDoW wrote: - you can get a lucky Battle Dive - that's like a bomb :)
Have you actually encountered this or is it speculation?So far I haven't seen it happen and I tend to play with Irina ;)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Return to “Heroes V-VI”