Sorcery Skill

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Sorcery Skill

Unread postby ecsunotos » 18 Oct 2006, 01:46

I'm new in HoMMV, but I'm a die hard fan of Heroes series. I don't really understand what the sorcery skill is.The description for the skill is “Speeds up heroe’s casting in combat. Interval between two consecutive spell casts is reduced by x %”
What does “Speeds up heroe’s casting in combat” mean ? Is it just speeds up the ANIMATION of heroes casting spell in combat ? I noticed that the animation is too long so they need to be shortened anyway :D . Or “Speeds up” means something else?
Second, What does “ Interval between two consecutive spell casts is reduced by x %” mean ? Is it mean that INTERVAL BETWEEN HEROE’S TURN TO TAKE ACTION in combat is reduced ? So hero can act more often in combat. Any one can help me?

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Oct 2006, 01:59

It reduces the intervel between the heroes between casts. It essentially increases the heroes intiative for spell casting purposes.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 18 Oct 2006, 03:31

-The base Initiative of any hero is 10.
-Sorcery adds +x% to the 10 Initiative if you cast a spell for 1 turn
-Only one hero has a specialty that will change base Initiative.
-'Mass' spells do not take Sorcery into account, they are already 50% faster (I'm almost 100% sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

So, it is a nice ability if you're casting spells that aren't of the Mass version (so usually not as good for Light/Dark magic). Combining that with slowing effects will sometimes let your hero go twice before certain units.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 18 Oct 2006, 05:26

So, does it mean that, for example x = 10 %,
Once the hero take action ( cast spell ) heroe’s initiative become 10 + (1 x 10% x 10 ) = 11 ?
For the second time : the hero cast spell heroe’s initiative become 10 + (2 x 10% x 10 ) = 12 etc. ?
Heroe’s initiative become higher and higher so that the hero will more often take into action in the combat ??

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 18 Oct 2006, 05:39

no, it means that if the action the hero takes is casting a spell, his next action will come that much sooner. However, every action resets the action bar to 100%. if that action is casting a spell again, then that 100% will have 10% removed from it.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Oct 2006, 05:39

No it is not cumulative.But I dont think it adds to your initiative but rather makes spell casting cost less in the initative bar.For example,if casting a spell without sorcery makes your heroes acumulated initative drop to zero,with basic sorcery it makes it drop to 0.1,advanced to 0.2 and expert to 0.3.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 18 Oct 2006, 19:47

Well, 10 + x% is very close, but you have to change the numbers slightly when adding as opposed to subtracting (100-33%=66, 66+50%=100).

The actual numbers, if you wanted to do it this way are:

No Sorcery = 10 Init
Basic Sorcery = 11.1 Init
Advanced Sorcery = 12.5 Init
Expert Sorcery = 14.3 Init

That would be your effective Initiative until your next action. So if you had gone at exactly the same time as those pesky 14 Init Emerald dragons or Sprites, and you had Expert Sorcery, then you would get to go again before them.

Although, considering Nival chose not to use this rule (or forgot) between Haste and Slow, Mass Slow is much more useful than using Mass Haste. Though, at least both stack for a whopping 2.3 times faster if you started with equal initiative.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 18 Oct 2006, 20:16

Whoa! Where did you get these?According to the manual's description they should be 1.1 ,1.2 ,1.3.After all it does say initiative drops back to 0.1 ,0.2 , 0.3 accordingly when a spell is cast.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 18 Oct 2006, 21:22

It's the same thing as saying you start over at 0.1, 0.2, or 0.3, and then count your Initiative as 10, and then doing the somewhat overly-complex math to turn the initiatives into decimals and run them through a loop adding their initiative each time until they get to 1.0, and restart the whole process. That works better for computers.

I find it alot easier to just say... hmm... if I cast a spell, I will have a 14 Initiative which is most likely going to beat the 12 Initiative critter right after me to the next turn. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 19 Oct 2006, 08:48

Off topic :
The sequence of creature to take action in combat is now more complicated by appearance of “initiative” concept. When one of our unit take into action, and we decide the unit to “wait”, how can we determine the new sequence ? It is very annoying and dangerous that we don’t know when will the next action of that unit after taking “wait” first

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 19 Oct 2006, 09:29

ecsunotos wrote:Off topic :
The sequence of creature to take action in combat is now more complicated by appearance of “initiative” concept. When one of our unit take into action, and we decide the unit to “wait”, how can we determine the new sequence ? It is very annoying and dangerous that we don’t know when will the next action of that unit after taking “wait” first
Well I think an interface element would fix this... on the status bar we should have every units' current initiative....

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Oct 2006, 10:37

All you can do is guess,based on the creatures initiative and their placement.But knowing that it will act twice as fast should guide you enough(although most of the time the guess is wrong).A ghost picture would be helpfull here.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 19 Oct 2006, 17:39

Well, if you're using the method I do, you just reset your counter to 50. The only way to really know where you're going to be is if you've kept track of the order before.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”