Would potions be a good adition to the game ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Would potions be a good adition to the game ?

yes
49%
no
51%

Total votes: 41

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 19 Oct 2006, 20:56

I see no problem with potions. Not all potions can be replicated by spells. Even if a potion can be replicated by a spell, that doesn't mean it'll be better as a spell. Potion of mana is the most obvious example. You could easily balance the potion by having it take effect over the course of several rounds and have it depend on the hero's stats. Instead of having the potion of mana restore 25 spellpoints, have it restore 15% of total spell points up to a maximum of 10 spell points per turn for 3 turns, the effects of two potions do not stack.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 19 Oct 2006, 23:58

Wildbears Case 2 would be the most preferred for me. Not too fond of the idea still mind. Guess it is the horror of the old potion thing haunting me. Ok this is a matter of taate and not really logic. So far I have seen neither a logical reason for or against potions. Now since it is a matter of taste, then this old horror deffinately directs my taste to the ..um no thank you. Anything that can be accomplished by potions could be accomplished a dozen different ways, and probably a lot better without just thrashing the balance. The alternatives for exactly this thing JJ has listed some so I will only summorize then move to my next point. One-use artifacts, one-use scrolls, and buildings that add spell like or unusual effects until after the next battle. Now..my next point. Ok I know a few who are arguing for the potions, and even consider a few my friends. I will ask them this. If you had the choice..and had to choose mind you. Would you rather them work more on this potion idea, or say a more engaging and well thought out storyline. Or remove more of the bugs that are in the game? Now I know..if you can't have them do that, then maybe this would be at least something. It definately would be at the bottom for me. (Curse you potion nightmares!!) Anyhow, I am usually on the otherside of the fence and all for new things changes, so this side is odd for me. Now don't take this to mean I don't value the thought put into this, I do. It's just not for me.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Oct 2006, 00:13

Mytical wrote:Anything that can be accomplished by potions could be accomplished a dozen different ways, and probably a lot better without just thrashing the balance. The alternatives for exactly this thing JJ has listed some so I will only summorize then move to my next point. One-use artifacts, one-use scrolls, and buildings that add spell like or unusual effects until after the next battle.
One use artifacts,yes that could work.And these artifacts could look like...I dont know,lets say they could look like a vial or a bottle with some liquid in it.Yeah that would be an excelent substitution to a potion. :devil:
Mytical wrote: Now..my next point. Ok I know a few who are arguing for the potions, and even consider a few my friends. I will ask them this. If you had the choice..and had to choose mind you. Would you rather them work more on this potion idea, or say a more engaging and well thought out storyline. Or remove more of the bugs that are in the game? Now I know..if you can't have them do that, then maybe this would be at least something. It definately would be at the bottom for me. (Curse you potion nightmares!!) Anyhow, I am usually on the otherside of the fence and all for new things changes, so this side is odd for me. Now don't take this to mean I don't value the thought put into this, I do. It's just not for me.
But its not a matter of choice.Look at the thread name,it doesn say potions must be in,or potions over anything else,it asks if potions can enhance the game.Personally,I think any feature that gets implemented correctly can enhance the game.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 20 Oct 2006, 01:58

All this potion talk will probably convince Nival to make a potion the central plot of a second expansion. It will be called Heroes of Might and Magic 5: Quest for the Dragon Potion.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 20 Oct 2006, 02:03

:lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

very good OD ....
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 20 Oct 2006, 04:01

It's "Vial of Dragon Blood".

It's probably the next thing on the list. If the next race is a might-only race, they'll have to add a few things to compensate the lack of new magic.

Anyway, "potion" is only the graphic part for it, they can call it anything else and make it look whatever they want.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Oct 2006, 07:48

Kilop wrote:yeah , potion would have a side effect named drunkiness !! that would be aewsome !!
But JJ, I am glad you finally see there is no reasons, why potions should be undoable in this game ..
I don't know where you'd find that. I still think, more then ever,
No, potions would not be a good addition to the game. They would be the same kind of addition as having once usable creatures as explicit creatures (not via spells) hirable on the map - you hire them (cheaply) and after one battle they disappear. On first look not that bad, but on second look a feature that counteracts part of the other features.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”