Would potions be a good adition to the game ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Would potions be a good adition to the game ?

yes
49%
no
51%

Total votes: 41

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 19 Oct 2006, 12:53

Well though I dont want the new things to be one time use anything (I just like new things woohoo) I will say that I am pleased me and JJ actually agree on something. Personally it is a matter of taste. If they ever did put potions in, I would hope they could be turned off..even in campain.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 19 Oct 2006, 13:24

I agree with JJ and Mytical... there are already lots of stuff that can be used as a one time boost (wands, adv map locations) so Potions are not necessary...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Oct 2006, 13:38

Yes,well following that logic,windmills arent necessary because we have mines.Creature banks arent necessary because we can place artifacts behind guardians.And creature dwellings arent necessary because we have military outposts.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Oct 2006, 14:35

I have absolutly no opinion on this. But i'll vote yes to get the poll at 50/50. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 19 Oct 2006, 15:19

DL, that's pure rhethoric, and you know it. Follwing YOUR logic you would have either nothing in the game or everything, which is obviously wrong because the capacity for things is limited.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Oct 2006, 15:27

For a computer game only limited by time. Your argument is that there are more important things to be done, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't want it. Understand why they don't do it yes, but stop wanting it! NO.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 19 Oct 2006, 16:05

Why would you want stuff that fills the game with useless junk?

Hey, I have a great idea! How about one-fight creatures. Simple out-of-town dwellings, but you cannot hire permanent creatures. Instead you will hire them just for one battle - of course for a significantly reduced price. You just hire them and after one battle the surviving creatures - if any - disappear.
Seriously, why clutter things with useless crap like this?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Oct 2006, 16:29

Here we go again. Disturbing your lack of faith i find.

And i'd rather a game has useless stuff in it then it missing usefull stuff. Not thet the two are exclusive.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 19 Oct 2006, 16:45

Yes, here we go again: discussing and arguing ad infinitum just because of discussing.
There is still not ONE use of potions that cannot be imcluded in the Wands/Artifacts section. In short. No substantial point in case. Just the usual rhetorics.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Oct 2006, 17:42

Jolly Joker wrote:DL, that's pure rhethoric, and you know it. Follwing YOUR logic you would have either nothing in the game or everything, which is obviously wrong because the capacity for things is limited.
Actually thats not my logic,its your logic.Saying that something doesnt belong to the game just because it has a similar use as something else is wrong,and I proved it.I still say that you gave a good argument,but that was two pages ago.After that,its just repeating the similar to X,thus shouldnt be used,and thats a faulty logic.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 19 Oct 2006, 18:07

For me, one of the things that makes the game fun is pitting two forces with different capabilities against each other. The problem with potions, scrolls and wands (over level 2) is that they make the same spells available to everyone. At low levels, this doesn't matter much since everyone potentially has access to all of them. At higher levels, loss of a slot could be fair, provided the artifacts were quite rare and even then the spell were cast at the Basic level.

A problem in prior Heroes games was that potions were the most common artifacts and most weren't worth spending a turn to use. Make them valuable and rare, and give them unique effects, and there would be a place for them in the game.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Oct 2006, 18:12

Jolly Joker wrote: There is still not ONE use of potions that cannot be imcluded in the Wands/Artifacts section. In short. No substantial point in case.
Just like there's no use of init that couldn't be included in the turn thing. They could just have some creatures act twice in one round. None of the hero specials that couldn't have been included in the skill system.

Like i said before, i don't really care about potions, but i find your reason for their non-inclusion wrong.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 19 Oct 2006, 18:27

But then there's nothing speaking against one-time creatures, too. So let's clutter the game with everything that might have a use once in a year.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Oct 2006, 18:27

Caradoc wrote:For me, one of the things that makes the game fun is pitting two forces with different capabilities against each other. The problem with potions, scrolls and wands (over level 2) is that they make the same spells available to everyone. At low levels, this doesn't matter much since everyone potentially has access to all of them. At higher levels, loss of a slot could be fair, provided the artifacts were quite rare and even then the spell were cast at the Basic level.
Easilly avoided by making potion effects differ from the spell effects.Potion of decresing/increasing morale,potion of mana,potion of acid have nothing thats similar to them in the game.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 19 Oct 2006, 18:31

Just as a sidethought.
Potions could easily be a racial special couldn't it? I mean, with Dwarves and Academy already installed it wouldn't be that original anymore, but it COULD be a special. On second thought, nah, would be too similar to rune magic.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Oct 2006, 18:34

Jolly Joker wrote:But then there's nothing speaking against one-time creatures, too. So let's clutter the game with everything that might have a use once in a year.
Kinda like Armageddon. And need i really say it again?! Disturbing your lack of faith i find.

Potions could work as a racial if you only used them on the hero and he gets bonuses to something that effects creatures, and you could have some potion that don't affect bonuses for units, but only the hero.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Oct 2006, 19:23

ThunderTitan wrote: Potions could work as a racial if you only used them on the hero and he gets bonuses to something that effects creatures, and you could have some potion that don't affect bonuses for units, but only the hero.
Now you have to qualify to be able to have a drink!?Damn! :devious:
At basic you get no hiccup.On advanced you can drink you get +1 bonus on morale but with penalty at casting spells.Ever cast drunk?Expert nullifies the penalty and prevents hangover too ;)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Oct 2006, 19:56

Elvin wrote: Now you have to qualify to be able to have a drink!?Damn! :devious:
At basic you get no hiccup.On advanced you can drink you get +1 bonus on morale but with penalty at casting spells.Ever cast drunk?Expert nullifies the penalty and prevents hangover too ;)
:lolu: And the hero in question would be a panda brewmaster. :devil:

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 19 Oct 2006, 20:02

yeah , potion would have a side effect named drunkiness !! that would be aewsome !!
But JJ, I am glad you finally see there is no reasons, why potions should be undoable in this game ..
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 19 Oct 2006, 20:18

Wouldn't it be better to list possible ways to put them in and then see their pros/cons rather than discussing random things of little interest ?

For example:

Case 1: All H4 like
The Hero has potions and uses them, spending one turn, on him or on a creature. One time use. Items are found randomly on the map and can be bought in some places.

Case 2: Disciples-like, Potions as an artifact
The Hero has to equip a potion which can be used only once. Potions are expansive and rare. They can be used on the hero or on creatures, they're rare artifacts or bought in shops.

Case 2v2: Potions as creature artifacts
Works like that skill from the academy, with potions instead. Potions made using some buildings and/or skills.

Case 3: Potions as a specialty
Some heroes from one of the alignments can use potions, used by heroes or equipped by creatures.

Case 4: Mixed version 1
All creatures have a potion flask, those potions can be refilled in one/some of the town types, or in specific areas of the map, free or for a price. Potions are being used on the battlefield by the creatures and make them lose 1/4th (1/3rd or one half or whatever you want) of their turn.

Case 5: Mixed version 2
The hero has potions he can use anytime (like spells in h3 and older) on creatures, making him lose some initiative. They're bought in shops or found on maps.

Case 6: Potions as a skill
Potions are used in one of the above way, but have several effects attached to them. one positive and one negative, varying according to the skill level.
Eg: Without potion skill: +1 speed, +5 poison damage/1turn
Potion skill 1: +2 speed, +9 poison damage/1 turn
Potion skill 2: +3 speed, +5 poison damage/1 turn
Potion skill 3: +3 speed (this is only an example, no need to discuss the numbers)

Etc.

Those are just a few examples, to help in the discussion.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Return to “Heroes V-VI”