Dying community??

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Oct 2006, 00:11

Smoking_Squirrel wrote:I can tell you what has doomed HoMM-5 in one word: 3-D.

HoMM remains strict turn-based. This sets it apart from nearly every other game. So too did 2-D graphics.

We generally think of only good things about 3-D. but what about blurred images? Over-taxed processors? And over-taxing the brains of a game player?

There's also HoMM-4. A game which was never really completed (no AI). Yet what we saw had the best graphics to date in HoMM, plus the most robust game features. Ubi could have finished the incomplete areas, adjusted some game mechanics, then sold it as a new product. It may sound sleezy, but it would have been a great game.
See,thats where you agree with most of us,so dont worry about being booed,since you will most likely get a support from big deal of us(and by us I dont mean just me and my henchmen :devil: ).Oh,and I have a good memory about many of the ideas,so ask me and Ill probably find you a link to the thread if it was done before(or you can use the search,it is very good here).
Smoking_Squirrel wrote: I've always felt that HoMM was played by a special demographic. Not stupid per se, but definitley reflex-challenged (both mental and physical - and I would fit into both categories). We HoMM players do not have fun in real-time games, and we don't want to be reminded of them while we play something else!!
Not true.I love many RTS titles(SC and EE especially),and some FPSs as well.I love both reflex and mind testing games,although I always lean a bit more towards the mind chalenging ones.
Smoking_Squirrel wrote: So there you have it. That's why HoMM-5 isnt regaining HoMM's lost glory. I never bought H-5 'cause as soon as I saw 3-D, I knew it was doomed. I won't play H4 because I'm sick of bludgeoning a helpless AI. I wont go back to HoMM-3 because H4 has so many improvements. Aaaaaaauugh!
Try equilibris.Though AI is pretty much a moron there too,it does preform much better(I have no idea how they did it,but its not just about rebalancing the units).Oh,and I still play HIII from time to time,even though it lacks much of the HIV options.
Smoking_Squirrel wrote:Oh, and one more thing.
I know that H3's fortress is a really weak town,
and gnolls are by far the worst level-1 unit...
I think inferno is worse,because you can at least rush hydras and you have deadly dragon flies and gorgons in fortress.
PhoenixReborn wrote: Homm 2 had the best graphics. My opinion.
It had the best graphics style,but as for graphics overal,HIV was better.It had nicer maps and better engine.Although the HV adventure map seems the best too me,it is much poorer the the rest.
chaosgorgon wrote: i found disliking one comment about that "better to be few than a bunch of ignorant newbies" concept , ohh well was a ton posts ago, so i dont remember who posted such stupidity, but all communyties always needs new blood (yeah im a vampire...), discussions between the same guys turns boring..
Dont forget that we need only true and real fans here :devil:
Smoking_Squirrel wrote: Ha! See pheonix, I keep learning more all the time, without even playing! (Advanced reading and deduction skills embodied in someone with slow mental reflexes like myself :D ). I already suspected H5 had a weak graphic engine, and TT agrees.
And many others.Check the evolution polls summarized here to see which sequel has the best looking creatures(oh,and if you are going to vote,post comments only when you have much to say because some devs here dont like one liners :D ).
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 23 Oct 2006, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 23 Oct 2006, 00:16

Could sales really be that strong in USSR ??
Yes. I belive HoMM is being loved there more that elsewhere.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Oct 2006, 00:19

Smoking_Squirrel wrote: It wasnt too long ago that HoMM-4 came out. It seems to me that it didn't do all that badly, especially since it became immediately apparant that the AI didnt work. A non-functioning AI is a product killer for sure in any strategy game.

Tell me (for this is a matter of importance and my conviction isn't great): Are sales for H5 roughly equal at this point to where they were for H4? If so, then I would argue the much-vaunted 3-d graphics didn't help much.
See,sales dont tell you about how good a game is.But the fact that a game with virtually no AI is still being played by lots of people sure does say a lot.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Oct 2006, 00:24

Hey DL! What's that about true and real fans?I've heard of that a few times but never got into it.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 23 Oct 2006, 00:26

The point is that some sides of H4 were so great, that they inspired ppl to "hande" bad AI problem, with hard scripting. Of course it (AI) never gonna be as in H3 - but still fun to play.
Just look here
https://www.celestialheavens.com/382

As for graphics:
I belive H4 graphics is best at adventure screen (simply unbeatable, esp. on 1280x1024) and overall design (menus, interface) While H4 creatures mostly suck, and many heroes portraits too.
Last edited by MistWeaver on 23 Oct 2006, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Oct 2006, 00:49

Elvin wrote:Hey DL! What's that about true and real fans?I've heard of that a few times but never got into it.
I forgot the exact definitons but some people claim they are the only true fans because they own all heroes,while the real fans played all of them but dont own them all.Or something along those lines.Its pretty hillarious imo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Oct 2006, 00:50

Elvin wrote:Hey DL! What's that about true and real fans?I've heard of that a few times but never got into it.
When i first (or second, but the first when i stayed) got to the RT there was some arguing about true and real fans of HoMM, and how someone how played from #1 was a true fan, and those the played from King's Bounty were real fans (or the other way around) or somesuch nonsense. It indeed was funny. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Oct 2006, 01:03

That's pretty serious! There can only be true fans and all other fans that undermine their authority should perish :devious: Or the opposite.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 23 Oct 2006, 01:13

Oh yeah ? And Ive played (and finished) unofficial KB sequel. (Made in Ukrane somewhere in 1993 or so)
So Im only TRU fan here. :devil: Step a side before my TRU majesty!

ps: proof of existence
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/8/85/KB2.png
Last edited by MistWeaver on 23 Oct 2006, 04:01, edited 4 times in total.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Oct 2006, 01:49

While I agree with some of what you write
I've always felt that HoMM was played by a special demographic. Not stupid per se, but definitley reflex-challenged (both mental and physical - and I would fit into both categories). We HoMM players do not have fun in real-time games, and we don't want to be reminded of them while we play something else!!
I love my FPS as well and can generally hold my own in UT2004, certainly not a frag master, but definately no frag bunny either!!
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 23 Oct 2006, 02:37

@smoking squirrel

One issue you missed is that Heroes 5 now has a map editor. I've played at least 5 new maps and there are more being tested constantly. The editor also allows for larger maps.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 23 Oct 2006, 15:12

MistWeaver wrote:Oh yeah ? And Ive played (and finished) unofficial KB sequel.
is it english? IS IT FREE FOR DOWNLOAD?

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 23 Oct 2006, 16:55

vhilhu wrote:
MistWeaver wrote:Oh yeah ? And Ive played (and finished) unofficial KB sequel.
is it english? IS IT FREE FOR DOWNLOAD?
Sorry its not english. But its free.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”