I am (finally) getting started with Heroes V

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Oct 2006, 14:57

DaemianLucifer wrote: Yet even in these times,we are blessed by a few really original games.Spellforce,for example.Though now a bit old,it is one of the rare original games I played recently.
Don't make me repeat the definition again. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Oct 2006, 15:16

I know where all those things come from,but their blend is a unique one not seen before.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 14 Oct 2006, 15:41

BoardGuest808888 wrote:
Only difference is that initiative speed means how often you'd move and who'd move first. But that's enough difference I think.

And BTW, there's nothing original in Sylvan.
Is there a way to predict where your unit will end up after you Wait?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Oct 2006, 15:44

Banedon wrote: Is there a way to predict where your unit will end up after you Wait?
It only losses 50% of t's init, so somewhere in between his 2 turns. You can play with the init bar to see when he's next turn is and take a educated guess.

And Autosave has to be turned on in the options.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 15 Oct 2006, 01:15

How does initiative work?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Oct 2006, 01:34

It was explained somewhere in detail,but I forgot where.So heres a brief version:

All units act when their initiative reaches 1,and it is decreased to 0 once they act.Waiting decreases it to 0.5.And every phase each unit gets its initative/100.In the begining,however,each unit gets a random number between 0 and 0.3 before they get their initiative added,and are placed on the ATB bar acording to that.

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Re: I am (finally) getting started with Heroes V

Unread postby Sir Alock » 15 Oct 2006, 13:13

Banedon wrote:Yeah, it's very late indeed. I've didn't even pay attention to Heroes 5 - how it worked, what skills there are, what the races are, etc - until a few days ago, and now I find out an expansion pack will be out soon T_T So I thought I'd better start this topic to kick-start my Heroes 5 knowledge. I won't be able to play for a few more days yet at least (lots of homework and all), and after that I'll want to try the campaigns, but I would sure appreciate it if someone could tell me the basics. First and foremost...

What town should I specialize in? From my experiences in the other Heroes games, I know I like powerful mid-level Ranged units with an emphasis on overall army speed. I favour Sorceress for Heroes 2 (2 good shooters, two Very Fast creatures, one Ultra Fast, one Fast) and Castle / Rampart for Heroes 3 (both possessing good shooter and a fast level 7). Heroes 4 is a bit of a flux; probably Nature (though in Heroes 4 I just rely on heroes and melee, not much of Ranged). The speed element is still there though, with Phoenixes and Mantii both moving at speed. As for magic...I generally like defensive magic (odd, innit? :D Fast creatures, offensive might but defensive magic).

So what race suits me back? Help appreciated. :)

Welcome to HommV! Looks like you the series well enough. I enjoy the game without question, yes, there are some "issues" but overall I'm pleased with the outcome of the game. You can jump in right away & start playing. Just play the campaign on normal AI setting & you'll breeze thru. You must know by now the HoMMV is similar to HoMM3 in many ways with the exception of the AI. Have fun!

Alex

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Oct 2006, 13:21

Sir Alock wrote: I enjoy the game without question, yes, there are some "issues"
Translation: The game is perfect, even if it has problems.

And then you wonder why me and DL "whine" so much?! :disagree:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Oct 2006, 15:10

ThunderTitan wrote: Translation: The game is perfect, even if it has problems.

Remind me never to hire you as a translator. A game doesn't have to be perfect to be enjoyable. I've enjoyed time spent on H5 as well, even if there are several things I think could be done to make it better.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Oct 2006, 15:21

Gaidal Cain wrote:A game doesn't have to be perfect to be enjoyable. I've enjoyed time spent on H5 as well, even if there are several things I think could be done to make it better.
Does this sound to you as if he sees that there are things wrong with it?
I enjoy the game without question

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Oct 2006, 16:49

Not really, but it doesn't imply that there aren't any either.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Oct 2006, 17:20

Gaidal Cain wrote:Not really, but it doesn't imply that there aren't any either.
Sure it doesn't.... if he's a politician.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 16 Oct 2006, 00:29

DaemianLucifer wrote:All units act when their initiative reaches 1,and it is decreased to 0 once they act.Waiting decreases it to 0.5.And every phase each unit gets its initative/100.In the begining,however,each unit gets a random number between 0 and 0.3 before they get their initiative added,and are placed on the ATB bar acording to that.
Sorry, but that was rather incomprehensible...do you mean that high initiative is actually bad, because it'd then take longer for the initiative to reach 1? Evidently it can't be, because Haste increases initiative instead of decreasing it.
Welcome to HommV! Looks like you the series well enough. I enjoy the game without question, yes, there are some "issues" but overall I'm pleased with the outcome of the game. You can jump in right away & start playing. Just play the campaign on normal AI setting & you'll breeze thru. You must know by now the HoMMV is similar to HoMM3 in many ways with the exception of the AI. Have fun!
I started with Heroic right off the bat and after a lot of reloading to get familiar with all the creatures, I made it past the Haven campaign. Hey, Heroes V feels so much like Heroes III it doesn't take that much getting-used-to.

Anyway Heroes V is a bit too similar to Heroes III in my opinion; it took out a lot of the best Heroes IV had to offer (like blocking the line-of-sight of ranged creatures and spellcasters, the ability to have multiple heroes in an army, the simultaneous retaliations...)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Oct 2006, 01:37

Banedon wrote: Sorry, but that was rather incomprehensible...do you mean that high initiative is actually bad, because it'd then take longer for the initiative to reach 1? Evidently it can't be, because Haste increases initiative instead of decreasing it.
What?How did you extract that from my explanation?Ok,imagine that each unit has a bar that goes from 0 to 100.Now,each unit gets the bar filled by its initiative.If all the bars are below 100,each unit gets another filling.If a unit reaches 100 on that bar,it acts.Is that more comprehensible?

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 16 Oct 2006, 02:46

It was explained somewhere in detail,but I forgot where.
i believe it's in both the big fan-made manual approved by Ubi (on page 190), and in the separate appendix that was released for the CH manual.

BTW, anybody who is just getting started with H5 would do well to check out that fan-made manual. It's absolutely incredible, and contains just about every detail about the game imaginable.

you can grab an english version here:

ftp://ftp.ubi.com/emea/homm5/community/ ... ual_en.zip

there are other language versions as well, just search for them on the Ubi H5 site.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 16 Oct 2006, 12:10

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Banedon wrote: Sorry, but that was rather incomprehensible...do you mean that high initiative is actually bad, because it'd then take longer for the initiative to reach 1? Evidently it can't be, because Haste increases initiative instead of decreasing it.
What?How did you extract that from my explanation?Ok,imagine that each unit has a bar that goes from 0 to 100.Now,each unit gets the bar filled by its initiative.If all the bars are below 100,each unit gets another filling.If a unit reaches 100 on that bar,it acts.Is that more comprehensible?
High initiative results in this bar filling faster thus the creature has more actions than slower ones.Units with initiative 10 will act two times by the time a creture with initiative 5 fills its bar.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 16 Oct 2006, 16:26

ThunderTitan wrote:
Sir Alock wrote: I enjoy the game without question, yes, there are some "issues"
Translation: The game is perfect, even if it has problems.

Thunder: I'm @ a loss as to why you & DL even bother to post in these forums. Gripping & whinning will not get you anything! This isn't a "Town Hall" meeting & we get to take votes! Nival will do what it will do, period! Complaining damn-near non-stop just gets annoying after awhile. I guess I never was into hanging out with the "negative crowd"

As for my post....What I was "trying" to say is that HoMMV is fun & yes there are some issues. Doesn't bother me from playing the game for long hours on end! Maybe the expansion pack will make things better for the both of you, or maybe not.

If you could try & keep your posts more positive, then maybe you'll be @ peace with HoMMV. Just my 2 cents worth.

Alex

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Oct 2006, 16:36

Sir Alock wrote: Thunder: I'm @ a loss as to why you & DL even bother to post in these forums. Gripping & whinning will not get you anything! This isn't a "Town Hall" meeting & we get to take votes! Nival will do what it will do, period! Complaining damn-near non-stop just gets annoying after awhile. I guess I never was into hanging out with the "negative crowd"
And what do you think to achieve with that?Surelly you dont expect to sway me into liking the game,or writing more positive about it?If logical posts and stuff that are actually good in this game didnt do that,how can you expect critic to do it?

Oh,and nival wont do what they will do,but what ubisoft wants them to do :devious:
Sir Alock wrote: If you could try & keep your posts more positive, then maybe you'll be @ peace with HoMMV. Just my 2 cents worth.
Actually my posts reflect my feelings of the game and not the other way around.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 16 Oct 2006, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Oct 2006, 16:37

Sir Alock wrote:Nival will do what it will do, period!
So you're just with the "quitter crowd"?! If we get enough ppl to complain about something we actualy might get it. Caravans are coming with the exp, ain't they?

Plus, i like his forum, and as long as i' m here why not post in the H5 sub-forum too?!

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 16 Oct 2006, 16:37

ThunderTitan wrote: And then you wonder why me and DL "whine" so much?! :disagree:
So much whinning :disagree: . Get yourself a life, whinner!

- by the One Nivalfan Who Rules Them All And Binds Them In Ubisoft

Return to “Heroes V-VI”