Float your boat

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

How much of the floatsom do you think should be empty?

less than 20%
34%
21%-30%
47%
31%-40%
13%
41%-50%
3%
50%-60%
No votes
more than 60%
3%

Total votes: 38

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Float your boat

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Sep 2006, 09:44

The seas are full of crap...I mean floatsom,and most of it is empty now,but some do have a few chunks of wood.How much of this garbage should be just that,garbage?

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 25 Sep 2006, 09:49

Ok sure when you find a floating log, it may not be fit for anything but firewood (if that). Keep it within reason though, as it gets old fast finding 'nothing'.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Sep 2006, 09:53

Voted 21-30%. It shouldn't be too much, since the sea is not as rich in treasure as the land is and therefore, there needs to be something attractive there to draw the player to go sailing.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Sep 2006, 09:56

Good question.
I think, it has to be balanced with map making practicality. You don't want a high percentage of crap because you'll have to plant all the more things into the water and use up more movement points to get them.
So I'd say one out of four might be a good number.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Sep 2006, 10:07

21-30% sounds good. Ain't nothig more annoying then getting zilch 5 times in a row.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 25 Sep 2006, 10:19

I voted less than 20%.

It is essentially a negative event when you find nothing after going to the trouble (possibly out of your way) and coming up empty. Negative events tend to irritate players (they make me extremely grumpy :tsdown: .)

There is a place for negative events (kept to a minimum) in maps, but too much greatly decreases the fun factor.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Killroyan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Killroyan » 25 Sep 2006, 10:25

I would say:
25% nothing
25% +2 wood
25% +5 wood
25% +5 wood and 500 gold

Right now it feels like 50% of the chests and the floatsom is useless.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Sep 2006, 10:30

ThunderTitan wrote:21-30% sounds good. Ain't nothig more annoying then getting zilch 5 times in a row.
How about getting it 6 times in a row :devious:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Sep 2006, 10:43

DaemianLucifer wrote: How about getting it 6 times in a row :devious:
Blimey, who's gonna go for floatsam a 6th time?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Sep 2006, 10:55

dragonn wrote:Oh, and maybe this is a bug:

When I was gathering floatsam or treasure chests on sea, after a couple of salvages, I didn't recieve any single resource. I've gathered about ten or more of those and every time there was this information "you didn't find anything"...
:devious:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Sep 2006, 13:56

DaemianLucifer wrote: :devious:
Ahem: http://www.answers.com/rhetorical%20question
[size=0]
And yes, i know you're just spamming, but you're not alone in that... [/size] :devious:

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 25 Sep 2006, 14:20

i think ALL flotsam should have a little wood. and some also gold or more wood of course.

so i voted -20%. i meant 0%, that goes under there.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 25 Sep 2006, 18:28

My, my what an interesting disussion grew from my simple bug suspicion :D:D:D

Voted 21-30%. Heroes III style, empty floatsams seen rarely that is...

Floatsams are an important strategic resource source (damn, I love this phrase), especially on sea maps (which are rather uncommon in Heroes V, but mapmakers will do sth about that I think :D). The same goes for floating treasure chests and even ghostships. And it's only gold and wood, not any of those precious gems or crystals. Not a big deal, but still a good way to support the early phase of building your towns.

Oh, and you musn't forget about the artifacts from shipwrecked castaways. A sailor-hero who brings a shiny loot (completly free in addition to that, no monsters guarding them) from his sea-voyage is a welcomed person in hard times...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 25 Sep 2006, 18:37

21-30% of the time sound like an okay amount.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 25 Sep 2006, 21:22

Metathron wrote:It shouldn't be too much, since the sea is not as rich in treasure as the land.
Unless you stumble upon a wrecked pirate ship. :D

I voted 20-30 because I felt like it.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 25 Sep 2006, 21:27

I wouldn't mind seeing it more often, but generally smaller amounts. I usually look at it as a way to pay for building the boat you bought, plus one more, plus maybe a bit extra.

Of course I've been on maps where I've quickly gotten into the 150-200 wood region, and I think that's a bit too much. I didn't vote because it's dependant on both the amount of treasure, and the % chance for me.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Sep 2006, 03:16

Arqane wrote:I didn't vote because it's dependant on both the amount of treasure, and the % chance for me.
The amount of treasure might come as another poll,dont worry :D

Idleness2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Idleness2 » 26 Sep 2006, 04:42

I can accept the existence of Dragons and weird multi armed lions and armies of dead people, but for the sea to have so much flotsam is just too much. Flotsam is washed up on the shore not floating in the sea, come on! For a more believable game, they should remove the flotsam. Also, you should never actually get to attack the other players but instead enter into a 3 month negotiation process that finially results in an intervention of the UN. All heros that use the lich's death cloud attack against neutrals are executed for war crimes during this process.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Sep 2006, 04:58

Idleness2 wrote:I can accept the existence of Dragons and weird multi armed lions and armies of dead people, but for the sea to have so much flotsam is just too much. Flotsam is washed up on the shore not floating in the sea, come on! For a more believable game, they should remove the flotsam. Also, you should never actually get to attack the other players but instead enter into a 3 month negotiation process that finially results in an intervention of the UN. All heros that use the lich's death cloud attack against neutrals are executed for war crimes during this process.
:lolu: Thats rich!But the number of floatsom really depends only on mapmaker.But with more water objects,there would be no need for so many junk.And also,isnt it funny how that poor shipwrecked guy floats on a board for months before someone rescues him? :devil:

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 26 Sep 2006, 07:32

DaemianLucifer wrote: :lolu: Thats rich!But the number of floatsom really depends only on mapmaker.But with more water objects,there would be no need for so many junk.And also,isnt it funny how that poor shipwrecked guy floats on a board for months before someone rescues him? :devil:
Yeah, we need more stuff for the seas, not less.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Return to “Heroes V-VI”