That's ENOUGHT !!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 23 Sep 2006, 21:59

what if we make a special tread where everyone posts his idea on how a certain tooltip should be ... and someone keeps track of all the suggested changes...

And in the end... when we have all "teh" (:p) tooltips replaced, our favorite modder, Sir_Toejam, could put them all in a mod that corrects everything

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Sep 2006, 00:15

vhilhu wrote:i noticed you always say there instead of their. SHAME ON YOU, DIE MISPELLERS, THE GRAMMAR CRUSADE IS INVINCIBLE!
Hey, no one here is getting payed to write in english. The guys that translated the game were, and pretty well probably. Double and triple checking their spelling is the least they can do.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Sep 2006, 00:40

our favorite modder, Sir_Toejam
*blush*

I'm just a peon with time on my hands at the moment.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 24 Sep 2006, 04:07

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that it was a typing mistake more than a grammar mistake. Enought is not a commonly misspelled word. But it's fairly easy when you're typing fast to do a 'generic' ending that you're used to. 'Ought' is very commonly used, so it's easy to repeat the keystrokes when typing something close to it, like enough.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Sep 2006, 05:28

ThunderTitan wrote: Hey, no one here is getting payed to write in english. The guys that translated the game were, and pretty well probably. Double and triple checking their spelling is the least they can do.
Ubi could easilly deal with them by double or tripple slashing their salary :devious:

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 24 Sep 2006, 11:26

Seems like there are many text fixes in the modsection of elrath... only that they don't work with 1.3...
How can they be made to work?

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 24 Sep 2006, 11:36

Honestly, if someone can complain about this thing here, there cannot be much to complain otherwise.
The first thing to notice is, that this is no "game" bug; it's a local bug that only appears in the English version. It has nothing to do with programming, but more with proof-reading.
Did you ever read a book that was completely free of mistakes, typos, spelling errors and so on? Keep in mind that you cannot change a book, once it's printed. Keep in mind, that normally a book IS proof-read by the editor or some other guy.
I find the Necro Mage Guild oversight a HELL of a lot more disturbing, actually.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Sep 2006, 11:50

Its not the bug itself thats annoying,its the fact that it was introduced with a patch and not fixed in the later patch,even though it was spotted immidiatelly.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 24 Sep 2006, 16:30

@JJ
Honestly, if someone can complain about this thing here, there cannot be much to complain otherwise.
The first thing to notice is, that this is no "game" bug; it's a local bug that only appears in the English version. It has nothing to do with programming, but more with proof-reading.
Did you ever read a book that was completely free of mistakes, typos, spelling errors and so on? Keep in mind that you cannot change a book, once it's printed. Keep in mind, that normally a book IS proof-read by the editor or some other guy.
I find the Necro Mage Guild oversight a HELL of a lot more disturbing, actually.
Oh come on... give me a break... it's not just a tiny spelling error... the whole game is a spelling/grammar/logical English error... without any exageration 80% of the tooltips stink...
the words are English words... but those tooltips are not in English. A few examples:
-Week of bee (and all other weeks) - WTF does that mean?? week of THE bee maybe?
- Makes the targeted creature...
- puts mines... something
- skroll
- enought

and we can take every building, skill and spell description...
It's not a bug... it's worse than a bug... it's a shame...
I know that in the end we understand what they meant to say... but god dammit... is this what I payed for???
And why the hell are so many text fixes... people have headackes when trying to descipher what those ****** meant...

And sincerely... I never bought a book with not even nearly as many errors...

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 24 Sep 2006, 17:15

okrane wrote:
That Nival style is beginning to show! :)
Sorry, that one is just too good.
I agree, the English localization could be better. It SEEMS to me that the CONTENT proofreader (yes, there is one) is not the best in English, that's why last-minute corrections or inclusions are sometimes in this garbled English: Week of Bee, Hero must go to X, this kind of stuff.
Still, if it's a problem at all, it's a problem with the English version only.

Arqane
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Arqane » 24 Sep 2006, 17:21

Translator.Salary >> 2

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 24 Sep 2006, 19:41

Jolly Joker wrote:
okrane wrote:
That Nival style is beginning to show! :)
Sorry, that one is just too good.
Hey... We're on a forum here... not at an English literature final exam...
i write fast... double check it also fast... I'm not getting payed or anything...

Is English your first language? mine isn't...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Sep 2006, 23:27

@JJ
At the plus side,you are on the winning side this time :devious:

And ubi really should rethink who they are hiring to do their work.What really suprises me is how a company like that can not only survive,but get lots of profit as well.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Sep 2006, 23:46

that's pretty pathetic logic, considering the dozens of other threads as well as the bug list.
sloppy is sloppy. It shows a pattern, regardless of which team was responisble.
Did you ever read a book that was completely free of mistakes, typos, spelling errors and so on?
yes. many.
Keep in mind that you cannot change a book, once it's printed. Keep in mind, that normally a book IS proof-read by the editor or some other guy.
all the more reason this could have been fixed quickly and easily weeks before 1.3 came out.
I did too, as soon as it was confirmed that it was a non-intended oversight.

that's why I fixed it immediately, and posted that fix.

and the reason Nival couldn't have done that was?

dude, your logic fails you. stop before you embarass yourself further.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Sep 2006, 00:00

Sir_Toejam wrote:
Did you ever read a book that was completely free of mistakes, typos, spelling errors and so on?
yes. many.
Really?What publisher do you buy your books from? :devious:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Sep 2006, 00:25

DaemianLucifer wrote:What really suprises me is how a company like that can not only survive,but get lots of profit as well.
What really amazes me is that in over 20 years on this planet that still suprises you.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 25 Sep 2006, 00:26

Really?What publisher do you buy your books from?
you're not serious, are you?

8|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Sep 2006, 00:28

Sir_Toejam wrote: you're not serious, are you?
Psst... he's from Serbia.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Sep 2006, 00:36

Sir_Toejam wrote: you're not serious, are you?

8|
Yes I am.Even in the best written books(and Im not talking about those written in serbian,but the english ones)Im almost always going to find at least one typo(although I never found less then three,and my guess is that even there I missed a few).But compared to the amount of text in those books(even the small 100 pages one contain lots of text),having a few typos is understandable.After all,its humans that write those books :devious:

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 25 Sep 2006, 00:50

well, uh gee, let me go over the thousand plus publishers that have ever put books out that I've read and see which ones had particular copies with no errors in them.

I'll get right on that.

check back in a year or so.

aside from this little sideventure, what on earth does any of this have to do with the egregious number of grammar and text errors in this game?

I would turn the tables and ask those pursuing this line of reasoning:

have you ever purchased a book, even a translated one, that had as many spelling and grammatical errors as this game does?

which publisher was that?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”