That's ENOUGHT !!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

That's ENOUGHT !!

Unread postby maltz » 22 Sep 2006, 22:02

I installed patch 1.3 and guess what...

I don't have enoughT movement points! Seriously how difficult is it to correct this tiny mistake, but everybody is going to see it every minute? It is like a proof of lousy quality control.

It is so stupid that it is even funny now.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 22 Sep 2006, 22:14

surprisingly, It's kinda hard to track down where exactly the reference to this is in the text files!

I tried to take a quick look a couple days back with no luck.

*shrug*

I've got a bit of time right now to try again.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 22 Sep 2006, 23:20

ok... i extracted the entire texts.pak file, and used a freware indexer to search all of the text and xdb files therein.

there is no reference to that particular movement message anywhere in the file!

now I'm really confused.

:ill:

on the bright side, i did locate a very nice freeware file indexer that will search just about any kind of windows file for strings, and has some nice options to boot.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Util ... nload.html
Last edited by Sir_Toejam on 22 Sep 2006, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

zero_ant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

No more Not enought move points!

Unread postby zero_ant » 22 Sep 2006, 23:32

Actually, the responsible file can be found at:

Code: Select all

\Text\Game\HeroStrings\Dialogs\NoMovePoints.txt
It appears in the text packs: P1-TEXTS.PAK and P2-TEXTS.PAK

You can either correct the message or completely remove the whole message (by emptying the file).

The first I time install patch 1.2 & 1.3, my top priority was to remove that annoying message. So I grab WinRAR, and I use its built-in search feature to search the string "enought" and instantly got a hit. You should try it too, finding text string wouldn't be too hard because you already know the whole line. Oh yeah, search them in the text packs, not in the data packs. :)

Edit: Sir_Toejam, since the text bug is introduced from patch v1.2, you should start your search there ;)
Last edited by zero_ant on 22 Sep 2006, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 22 Sep 2006, 23:35

LOL.

well that explains it then.

I would have found it eventually, as i moved on to the patch texts.

so it was an introduced bug with patch 1.2!

yes, quality control does seem to be a specific issue with Nival.

I seriously doubt even the small game company i used to work for would have missed that.

I'll go ahead and make a mod out of it.

do you want credit for finding it first, zero?

edit:

too late if you didn't, i added a nod to you in the readme file for the mod, which i am putting up immediately.

:-D

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 22 Sep 2006, 23:59

OK, it's up in the mods section.

whee!

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 23 Sep 2006, 03:15

Thanks very much for the tip. I didn't know to open it with WinRAR. :D

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 23 Sep 2006, 07:33

Sir_Toejam wrote: yes, quality control does seem to be a specific issue with Nival.
Not sure if the translators are Nival's or Ubi's, but I suspect Ubi's (maybe JJ could confirm). It still speaks of lousy quality control though.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Sep 2006, 13:45

Just for fun, I googled the word enought and got 2,110,000 results! I wondered if it was some sort of old or alternate spelling for the word enough, but the word doesn't show up on dictionary.com. Maybe it's a common spelling error after all.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 23 Sep 2006, 13:53

Shaiz..... 8|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Sep 2006, 13:57

Angelspit wrote:Just for fun, I googled the word enought and got 2,110,000 results! I wondered if it was some sort of old or alternate spelling for the word enough, but the word doesn't show up on dictionary.com. Maybe it's a common spelling error after all.
Please, the WWW is full of misspelled words. Not everyone on it has english as his/hers 1st language.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Naskoni
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Naskoni » 23 Sep 2006, 14:02

It may have been easy to spell it wrong the first time, but it was just as easy to correct it after more than a month of patching, especially since it was pointed out numerous times and so damn easy to see even if it wasn't...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Sep 2006, 14:13

The first one of those links is so good! :rofl:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 23 Sep 2006, 15:17

And it's posted by someone who calls himself "kranki". Hmm...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 23 Sep 2006, 18:51

Not everybody who speaks english has english as there first language. I am very guilty of horrible spelling, but I at least try. A lot of people dont even try anymore ;). If it looks close enough(t) it must be right. Oh well bring on the spelling mistakes, I will have all sorts of fun trying to figure out what the heck people are saying!
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 23 Sep 2006, 19:06

yeah... i guess that it should be a native english speaker who makes the tooltips and all the text in the game... or at least someone who speaks impecable English... because if not... everyone has his own way of speaking a foreign language wich is tied to the logic of his native language. And so... even if all russians understand the logic of the "Russian" English the rest of the world won't...

And last but not least... it is SHAMEFUL for a game to have such awful spelling errors and tooltips in a very lowsy English...

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 23 Sep 2006, 19:09

Mytical wrote:Not everybody who speaks english has english as there first language. I am very guilty of horrible spelling, but I at least try. A lot of people dont even try anymore ;). If it looks close enough(t) it must be right. Oh well bring on the spelling mistakes, I will have all sorts of fun trying to figure out what the heck people are saying!
i noticed you always say there instead of their. SHAME ON YOU, DIE MISPELLERS, THE GRAMMAR CRUSADE IS INVINCIBLE!

i suppose they wont bother to release an ultra-small patch in any near time anyway to fix just this small problem. youll all have to wait probably a long time. enought said.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 23 Sep 2006, 19:14

When I read the first few posts in this thread I was thinking the patch had left players with no movement points! Then I began to understand. There was a misspelling, and the good old "silent" t had been added.

This goes back to mediaeval times, when appending "t" to a word ending in "ough" was meant as a humourous attempt to sift out those with no sense of humour. The responses by rought tought people who thoughtt they knew it all and had seen enought bad spelling were soon broughtt to book.

There is also a rumour that William Caxton (inventor of the printing press) used to like a drink ot two, his employees often said he had drunk enought.

Spelling is indeed a tricky subject, particularly as accuracy is not entirely necessary to put across your meaning. I have started a thread in the campfire discussion on this with an example (so as not to hijack this thread and have it moved by the everwatchful mods).
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 23 Sep 2006, 19:26

Just for fun, I googled the word enought and got 2,110,000 results! I wondered if it was some sort of old or alternate spelling for the word enough, but the word doesn't show up on dictionary.com. Maybe it's a common spelling error after all.
i rather suspect it is the result of a simple typo most commonly, and the syntax of the original sentence in this case most likely was different, which resulted in the typo remaining.

here's an example of a common typo:

You don't have enought o buy that.

obviously it 's just a case of putting a space in the wrong place.

I'm no russian translator, but I know enough about foreign languages to know that the syntax is different than english, so it's possible that a literal translation of the orginal might have resulted in something like:

"You don't have points enought o move."
i suppose they wont bother to release an ultra-small patch in any near time anyway to fix just this small problem. youll all have to wait probably a long time. enought said.
no they wouldn't... which is exactly why we made a mod out of it so folks who are tired of it wouldn't have to look at it anymore.

no need to wait.
Last edited by Sir_Toejam on 24 Sep 2006, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Sep 2006, 21:50

vhilhu wrote: i noticed you always say there instead of their. SHAME ON YOU, DIE MISPELLERS, THE GRAMMAR CRUSADE IS INVINCIBLE!
Even the most zealous of the grammar police here uses teh instead of the.Blame the l33t for that.

And just bringing in any native english speaker wont do the trick.If you check that article,youll see that even the ture americans sometimes have no idea how to write.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”