What do u always pick?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

When you pick up a treasure chest, do you pick exp or money?

experience
70%
money
30%

Total votes: 57

Cyrox
Peasant
Peasant

What do u always pick?

Unread postby Cyrox » 20 Sep 2006, 15:47

And why did you choose what u chose over what you did not choose?

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Sep 2006, 15:57

Gee, that's difficult.
No fixed rule. Lucky adventurer makes things even more complicated.
I think I never take 500 experience.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 20 Sep 2006, 16:17

Can't vote on this one. It is too situational. Early or late game? resources abundant or scarce? Small map or large map (size meaning time needed to meet an opponent, not necessarily physical size)? Will my main hero gain a level from the xp? Will the extra cash allow me to build / buy a dwelling / creature? What day of the week is it?

There are way too many factors to answer this poll as stated.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 20 Sep 2006, 16:21

I love experience (except, as Jolly Joker said, when it's limited to 500), but gold is often more useful in the first half of a game.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Sep 2006, 16:48

My basic rule is that I take gold in chest which offers 1000 gold or 500 experience, and xp in the rest. Early on, if the extra gold will help me reach some goal (Capitol, Fort upgrade before next week), I can gold from other chests as well. Later, if I have plenty of gold, I pick XP from all chests.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 20 Sep 2006, 17:21

it also depends on the style of map you are playing.

if its a HOMM campaign map, then i always pick gold. you reach the lvl caps so easy in the HOMMV campaing maps, some maps i wasnt even half way done and i would get that annoying message that ive reached the lvl cap. then have to read that message each and every battle afterwards.....

but for most single player maps ill pick XP unless im short and desperate for cash, like its teh beginning of the week and i really need to recruit.

even difficulty lvl of map affects what i choose.
Playing on hard lvl lately, ive learnt that a balance of gold and XP is needed, since you need gold to build and recruit armies fast to keep up...*laughs*...ok, "try" to keep up with the cheat funded AI.
if you take just xp on hard lvl, you fall behind. you may get a high lvl hero, but inadequitely developed city and armies.
so you should have a third choice, for choosing a balance of gold and XP.

wayne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wayne » 20 Sep 2006, 17:25

Same as Gaidal Cain

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 20 Sep 2006, 17:38

wayne wrote:Same as Gaidal Cain
Yup. ;)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 20 Sep 2006, 18:06

I always pick gold until I've built a capitol. After that, I always pick xp unless it's 500xp, which I never take. I Have no other choice really when playing at highest difficulty.
Last edited by mr.hackcrag on 20 Sep 2006, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 20 Sep 2006, 18:08

Money almost every time on H5. I sometimes check to see how close I am to a level up, but otherwise never enough money.

Just shows how we can change tactics - on H3 it was 500gp money, otherwise XP.

Haven't tried a patched version yet, perhaps I'll change again.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 20 Sep 2006, 18:24

Yeah, same as Gaidal Cain

It was my rule dating back from when I started to play HIII to this day forward...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Sep 2006, 18:29

This depends on the lvl of my hero and the resources at my disposal. But like GC for the 1k/500 combo usualy its money. Also in the very begining i usualy take XP to lvl up the hero a bit, and then money as i need it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

NAG
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NAG » 20 Sep 2006, 18:30

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:Can't vote on this one. It is too situational. Early or late game? resources abundant or scarce? Small map or large map (size meaning time needed to meet an opponent, not necessarily physical size)? Will my main hero gain a level from the xp? Will the extra cash allow me to build / buy a dwelling / creature? What day of the week is it?

There are way too many factors to answer this poll as stated.
I fully agree with Qurqirish Dragon
Nil volentibus arduum!

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 20 Sep 2006, 20:29

I've always taken and always will take the experience no matter what..I've always thought that experience was much more important..

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 20 Sep 2006, 20:32

i voted exp. but i do take gold if my city is gonna be sieged soon(in 2 days or so).

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 20 Sep 2006, 21:12

I see that I'm alone with my tactic... because I always take gold. I can simply explain it:

At the beginning of the game:
more money -> more creatures -> quicker captured mines and towns -> more money and more experience (from killing creatures) in shorter time -> advantage over the enemy

In the middle and at the end of the game:
Then I need only money to hire more creatures and make upgrades in towns because I have experience from battles I had, which my opponent didn't because I did. :)

I hope my thoughts were spoken clearly enough :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Sep 2006, 21:19

alavris wrote: more money -> more creatures
Well you can only build 1 structure per day, and there's a limit to the creatures you can buy in 1 week, so sometimes you have enough money even without the chests. So that's not always true.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 20 Sep 2006, 21:37

ThunderTitan wrote:
alavris wrote: more money -> more creatures
Well you can only build 1 structure per day, and there's a limit to the creatures you can buy in 1 week, so sometimes you have enough money even without the chests. So that's not always true.
Yes, but I also always hire 2 additional heroes ASAP to take creatures from them. And I have never had situation with too much money... There is always something you can spend your money on ;)

Of course on easier difficulties you can take exp because you have a lot of gold at the beginning...

But I generally agree with you that depends on map which you are playing on.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Sep 2006, 21:57

I didnt vote,because it depends.Most of the time,its 1000 gold,but exp others.However,if Im chasing a dwelling,or there are few resources,I go with gold.If its mid to late game,every xp counts.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 20 Sep 2006, 22:03

since the very first heroes game where the choice was offered, i use the general rule:

always take the gold unless the chest offers 1500/1000.

typically, chests offer 1000/500, 1500/1000, 2500/1500.

this gives me a good balance, and the middle exp value gives the most exp *bang* per "chest" say.

IOW, it takes two of the lesser chests to equal the experience of one middle chest, and two of the middle chests offer more than one of the highest level chests.

of course, it's just a general rule of thumb, all else being equal.

in some circumstances, gold is all important, and i will forego any experience garnering, and in others, it's critical to level up your hero quick.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”