Whats your town building strategy?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
jim strom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Whats your town building strategy?

Unread postby jim strom » 18 Sep 2006, 19:43

Well i've been browsing through this forum, and i couldn't find a singel building strategy.

Whats the matter? Is building no longer a imprtant part in the game, of course it is, its as important as skill building.

So tell me whats your building strategy?
Last edited by jim strom on 20 Sep 2006, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Sep 2006, 19:49

Ah, you mean town buildings? Army building? Bodybuilding? :devious:

Right now, just getting used to build Academy town. That's likely to have Titans before Djinns, Golems or Rackthemochacha. Just saving a bit of money, building non-upgraded stuff, until reaching Town level 15 - which is, of course, just possible on the very first day of the third week (I hope I'm not that dumb to lose myself in numbers :devil: ).

Detailed version of my strategy on the add-on. :D (read: when I get the time or the nerves to do so)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 18 Sep 2006, 19:51

jim-

did you check the faction strategy sections on the front page of the site, in the "town details" section?

a lot of folks agree(d) with what is listed there.

of course, it's all completely different now with 1.3.

jim strom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jim strom » 18 Sep 2006, 20:33

Yes i did check those, but they didn't contain the answers i was looking for, in fact most of them didn't mentioned the buildings.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Sep 2006, 20:46

jim strom wrote:Yes i did check those, but they didn't contain the answers i was looking for, in fact most of them didn't mentioned the buildings.
Well, but what do you mean? :? You see, you'll build things up depending on which strategy you'll use, won't you? Then, could you feed us with an example of what you'd expect of a map to have a building strategy then? :)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

jim strom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jim strom » 18 Sep 2006, 21:31

i guess i really was looking for some kind of building order, i've been using the same order for my haven town since i got the game, & frankly it needs improvement, especially when i try the order with another faction, so i was wondering how you guys build up your town?

Lady Farquad
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Lady Farquad » 18 Sep 2006, 21:50

Panda Tar wrote:or Rackthemochacha.
:D

It will always depend on resources available.
Morior, ergo sum

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 18 Sep 2006, 22:00

Yes, depends on resources, but here is my basic strategy.

Money producing before anything. You need lots of cash, so pay out that money to get money (and it doesn't normally involve other resources which is a good thing).

Basic creature dwellings.

Fort (ect depending on how tight resources are)

Mage guild lvl 1 maybe 2

Marketplace, resource silo

Start upgrading units on a importance/resource value. Now of course this is different with necro, upgrading those skellies is a little more important for them. However, I will upgrade shooters or flyers before walkers. Do as much damage as you can before they reach you :).

Extra stuff with 3 exceptions. The resource producing one in elves (think mystic pond?) and the gold producing one in academy under djinn.
Mage guilds a little more for Academy also.

Finally, mage guilds, just because lately they lack in power..exceptions dungeon/academy.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 18 Sep 2006, 23:24

My strategy is to secure money and missile troops. Which is why if I play Academy, I always get genies fairly early - they give a 500gp / day bonus.

I will ALWAYS recruit Elaine as with 80+ peasants she shows a profit if I can keep her alive for 20+ days. Useful for local housekeeping and some defence against surprise attacks.

If I have a choice of buildings when the Capital is available, I usually go for Capital as every day I wait costs me 2000 gp. Only usually though, not every time, it depends on the needs at the time.

I always used to recruit as much as possible on Day 7 of week 4 to avoid being hit by the plague - but has anyone noticed this now occurs at anytime?! Most disconcerting. They don't make plagues like they used to :-D
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Sep 2006, 23:42

Bonzer wrote:My strategy is to secure money and missile troops. Which is why if I play Academy, I always get genies fairly early - they give a 500gp / day bonus.
Say whaa?! :| Djinns give bonus to gold?? 8|

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 19 Sep 2006, 00:28

I think he means the building connected to them cant remember its name right now.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 19 Sep 2006, 01:27

Isn't that altar of wishes or cave of treasure; cave of wishes; wish to be on an altar? Or maybe not.
:|

+ 3 Djinns and 500 gold per day. Good building.... :D

Considering you have enough resources:
For me, Haven, I build peasant hut; archer tower, town hall, magic guild lv 1, (basic buildings until being able to recruit griffins), city hall, fort/citadel, monastery (after that, I cool down a bit, because resources, normally, will be lacking a bit), then I go conquer things around. Basically, hiring that woman which gives bonus to peasant tax payer ability is good enough for a bonus on money.
After that, it depends on which resources I find. I like upgrading griffin as fast as possible, after reach capitol, castle, and the rest is random. I really don't use angels that much after all.^^

jim strom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jim strom » 20 Sep 2006, 23:53

Okay does anyone have a strategy for Inferno?

mothersponge
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mothersponge » 21 Sep 2006, 09:33

I think your build strategy depends very much on what kind of character you're playing.

I play Haven alot, and my main hero is always Lazlo. Therefore, my build order is usually profiled to him and his main strengths, which of course, is Squires.

I focus mainly on developing a strong Foot Slogging army in the initial stages, so peasant huts and Foot Soliders are key, along with building towards a strong gold turn-over through Capitol. With Squires ability to reduce damage from range attacks, I usually place my Cannon Fodder Peasant next to them and rush the neutral enemies. I tend to choose neutral enemies that can be attacked with Foot Slogging units.

The Blacksmith is another building key to my plans. Without it, I can't build barricks. So a healing Tent is always a good buy in the beginning.

Peasant Huts is also another crucial building I purchase.

Archer towers is next, followed by upgrading my Fort to a high level for the purpose of obtaining double growth in my various military buildings.

Griffon Tower is usually low in my priorty list, since the only come into their own when they have the dive bomb ability. So I try breed as many as possible before using them.

Once I have a sturdy amount of Marksman (Archers upgraded) then I'll start to use them in my core army, which of course, comprises of solid units of Peasants and Squires.

From this point on, its Monks and Knights, and if all possible, Angels.

As for mage towers, I usually try to build to level 2/3 just to see what kind of Light Magic I have. Since I choose abilities in the begining that substitute for magic (Benediction, Aura of Speed, Divine Guidance, Retaliation Strike), my Mage Tower Upgrades are usually built at later stages.

Anyhow, thats the basic jist of it. I don't know whether its an effective build strategy but it kind of works for me.

As mentioned before, I think your build strategy is very much dependent on what character you choose and what your plans are for your main army. Do you want a lightening fast army? Do want a solid, armour driven army? Do you want a pure, death-dealing magic army? Do want a siege army?

Also another consideration, is what kind of abilities are you choosing for your main character? This reflects very much on what your core units will be and inturn, influences your build order.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 22 Sep 2006, 10:48

The spare answers show that there is no easy answer to this. While I do think, that the post before this does have some merits and I don't want to disregard it in any way I tink that the 3 main factors building strategy depends on are:
1) Difficulty
2) Town level at start
3) Town
The first point does not need much of an explanation. On heroic difficulty building strategy must focus on finding a way to balance the need to have an army good enough to liberate the necessary resources with the need to increase the cash income. Due to resource shortages you will be forced to build things you wouldn't with more leeway, but sometimes you simply have to squeeze in a CHEAP build to advance the town levels. That said, you'll always need to build some key buildings no matter what, but here points 2 and 3 take over.
On Easy and Normal diff you shouldn't waste a build with Town Hall in week one and see to it that you get more creature dwellings and the growth multipliers in in week two. Once you start the money upgrades you should go for them in a row. You need 14000 in cash at the point you start to build them, so at the moment you would fall under this limit with a another build you have to go for the money.
Hard is probably the most interesting difficult level because from my playing experience I would think that this is the level on which you still can try a lot of strategies that are all are more or less promising the same chances of success. You HAVE some mones and resources to work with, but you have to be careful not to overdo things and it pays to build each money upgrade as soon as it is available, EVEN THOUGH you have enough leeway to postpone it a turn or two if there is something else more pressing.
Town is important insofar that there are different "key buildings" for each town, prerequisites and so on. For a really satisfactory answer each town would have to be looked at in detail
The town level (and dwellings already built) you start with is equally important. A big difference is whether you start with level 1/2 or 3 or even higher. If you start with at most town level 2 you won't reach the magical town level 9 before day 8 which means you cannot build your 4th/5th level creatures (for Haven and Academy it's 5th only) in week one. This has consequences, for the quality of your army as well as for your building strategy as a whole - you may be forced to build things like Tavern and so on; if you don't start with a Fort the growth multpliers are more difficult to build and Necro cannot easily get their level 3 creature and so on.
Starting with level 3 means Haven and Academy may even build their level 5 while the other 4 can build either 4 or 5. Starting at 4 means, everyone can get up to 5. IF you can build those creatures in week one, you may, for example, forego an otherwise necessary upgrade. For example, you may want to upgrade to Cerberi real fast (albeit you need a ton of wood for that), but if you can build the Succubis or Hell Chargers on day 7 because you start with town level 3 you may not need to go for them immediately because 6 Steeds or 10 Succubi may be enough of a boost for the army.
So, no, nothing definite.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Sep 2006, 18:16

It will be interesting to see if there will any sort of "standard starting town" a la H3, where half the maps would start you with Tavern, fort and level 1 dwelling- mostly due to that being what you'd get when placing a town without editing it (well, sometimes you'd get a level 2 dwelling then). Choosing what each town starts with is going to be something to consider when maps are to be balanced; the Necropolis will be much more different with or without a fort than most other towns f.ex.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 22 Sep 2006, 20:25

I build everything!

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 22 Sep 2006, 20:30

Gaidal Cain wrote:It will be interesting to see if there will any sort of "standard starting town" a la H3, where half the maps would start you with Tavern, fort and level 1 dwelling- mostly due to that being what you'd get when placing a town without editing it (well, sometimes you'd get a level 2 dwelling then). Choosing what each town starts with is going to be something to consider when maps are to be balanced; the Necropolis will be much more different with or without a fort than most other towns f.ex.
An excellent point. Any building strategy must aim to optimize creature availability at Day 7. With a Fort and Tavern to start with, you can almost always get your Level 3s going by the end of week 1. Depending on the prerequisites you may also be able to get Level 4s. Your other priority is to advance toward Capitol for the money to continue building (unless you are on a rich, easy map.)

On Day 1 of Week 2, you can take time out to build a key upgrade, as for Marksmen or Master Grimmies. I will never build an upgrade in Week 1, since I know that I will not be doing serious fighting until I get my first weekly build.

I think the Level 7 creatures are rather poor investments, so I am not overly eager for them. I build to the level of my most desirable creature and then postpone the rest until other priorities have been addressed.

The prerequisites will almost always give you a level 1 Mage Guild, and with Haven/Sylvan/Inferno I am usually content to leave it at that for some time. With Academy/Dungeon/Necropolis I am eager to get advanced spells, so I will build upgrades as resources allow.

I will build specials early when I can foresee a resource shortage. I am usually not in a hurry to build hero special buildings.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 22 Sep 2006, 20:38

I think the Level 7 creatures are rather poor investments
hmm, even with the severely reduced build costs introduced in 1.3?

a single dragon or devil can make a large difference in early battles.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Sep 2006, 20:46

1 Titan is rather good. ;)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”