An interesting flashback

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Does HV have that special "something" for you?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 77

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 19 Sep 2006, 10:59

Shuyssar wrote:I will explain why do I like it!

The older games of the serie had horrible graphics and ugly looking creatures. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 has fresh and beautiful 3D graphics. It is even better than Warcraft 3.
It is very simple and great fun to play. The balance is also perfect.
Oh yeah, while 3d grafics in games becomes obsolete in 2 years, you compare H5(2006) and W3(2002) Strong point !

As for balance. Didnt you notice that every patch cuts old features and add other in so aggressive way that the game just tearing apart.
It becomes "diffrent" - that is a certain sign that nival has no idea how to balance the game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Sep 2006, 12:18

Shuyssar wrote:Stop being rude and get yourself a life!
Sure thing dude. :rolleyes:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 19 Sep 2006, 12:22

As for balance. Didnt you notice that every patch cuts old features and add other in so aggressive way that the game just tearing apart.

yeah that is funny, how many times i heard that about starcraf, and yet, everything is balanced after soo much definitively game breaking changes that destroyed the game we knew, and it will never be the same again ... booohoohoo
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Sep 2006, 12:50

Kilop wrote:how many times i heard that about Starcraft
Yup, look at all those time when units had their HP doubled and the building costs were completly chaged.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 19 Sep 2006, 12:57

Yup, look at all those time when units had their HP doubled and the building costs were completly chaged.
i will not look back for change log on starcraft because i am too lasy , just remember how the ZERGLING building cost doubled, making zergs strategy ENTIRELY different from a rush race to a defensive one , just with that change which indeed doubled the ressource cost of one of the most crucial building !
got you :devil:
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

NAG
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NAG » 19 Sep 2006, 13:34

The game just has something. Can't put my finger on the exact point, it's the total package. I'm playing it a lot and stopped playing online NWN.
Nil volentibus arduum!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Sep 2006, 14:14

Kilop wrote:just remember how the ZERGLING building cost doubled, making zergs strategy ENTIRELY different from a rush race to a defensive one

Pls, ZERGLING rushes are still in play, they're just not as overpowered as they were. And Zergsa a defensive race?! I know i haven't played for some time, but i doubt that. Plus that's the cost of 1 building, not all of them, for all the factions, that's what i meant by completly.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Sep 2006, 15:29

Shuyssar wrote:I will explain why do I like it!

The older games of the serie had horrible graphics and ugly looking creatures. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 has fresh and beautiful 3D graphics. It is even better than Warcraft 3.
It is very simple and great fun to play. The balance is also perfect.
The only thing missing is a high number of great maps!
I cannot understand why so many people here hate this enjoyable game. If you hate it, why do you visit the forums? Stop being rude and get yourself a life!
Again you with the rudness.Will you stop that,please!Just because I criticize something doesnt mean Im rude.

Anyway,Im glad you can be satisfied with such an avverage game.In fact,I envy you(no really,I do envy you).But my standards are high.First,the graphics:Its not that special.

Play spellforce,a game that was made some 3 years back.It has better graphics,yet its engine is less demanding.And look at the evolution polls.People like HII/HIII creatures more not because the graphics is shinier,but because they think the styke of the creatures is better.

As for it being better than WCIII,not something to brag about,because,honestly,while I think WCIII is a good game,its graphics style is pure crap(those chubby bastards annoy the hell out of me).

Balance is perfect?Well,you are so wrong here.If there is even one town that is a bit weaker then the others in human vs human game,the balance is not perfect.And academy is way more weaker then the rest.

But hey,if you can be pleased with it,good for you.Youll enjoy more games easier.I wont.

Oh,and as for why Im still here,well I like the series.And seing one game of the series I dont like will not drive me away from it.I still do hope that it will improve(even though I know and fear that it wont happen).
Kilop wrote: i will not look back for change log on starcraft because i am too lasy , just remember how the ZERGLING building cost doubled, making zergs strategy ENTIRELY different from a rush race to a defensive one , just with that change which indeed doubled the ressource cost of one of the most crucial building !
got you :devil:
Riiight,that extra 30 seconds you need to get your first zergling really prevents you from rushing and makes you go defensive.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 19 Sep 2006, 15:38

It becomes "diffrent" - that is a certain sign that nival has no idea how to balance the game.
I think Nival are just pure beginers when it comes to making a balanced strategy game...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 19 Sep 2006, 15:54

okrane wrote:
I think Nival are just pure beginers when it comes to making a balanced strategy game...
Right because Heroes II is just SOOO balanced. Let's play. I'll be the warlock and you can be the knight.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Sep 2006, 15:58

PhoenixReborn wrote: Right because Heroes II is just SOOO balanced. Let's play. I'll be the warlock and you can be the knight.
On the smallest map :devil:

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 19 Sep 2006, 16:06

This is getting really ridiculous: It's a good game. No it's not. It is! No! It's balanced. No! Change this! No! Change that! No!

If someone likes the game. Fine. If someone doesn't like the game. Fine.
Changes? Come on! Whose changes are the better changes and what is to be changed?
First of all half of the change wishes are prejudices. That it's unbalanced how casters work, for example. They work as they work and since everyone knows how, you have to act accordingly. Armageddon will do a lot of damage as well, when the opponent has 1 unit left and the hero gets a last turn in. So what?
For another thing too many people are crying about balance - but no one knows under which rules they play what maps and whether they are equally skilled, what happened in the game and so on and so forth.
With a game as complex as this one it's darn difficult to make valid points about balance after a game or two.
Other things are just personal preferences.
The game is as it is. They may change building costs, they may change percentages. They will add content. They won't change basic game mechanics - like how spellcasters work.
If you don't like the game at this point it is rather unlikely you will like it at a later point - except if you needed a random map generator and a Dwarven town to be happy.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 19 Sep 2006, 16:11

DaemianLucifer wrote:
PhoenixReborn wrote: Right because Heroes II is just SOOO balanced. Let's play. I'll be the warlock and you can be the knight.
On the smallest map :devil:
Absolutely...who do you think wins the map slugfest?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Sep 2006, 16:22

@PhoenixReborn

HII wasnt made to be balanced,it was made to be fun.And it obviously succeeded(or more than half of us wouldnt be here).HV,on the other hand,was made with balance in the front.It failed at both fields.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Sep 2006, 16:28

Jolly Joker wrote: Changes? Come on! Whose changes are the better changes and what is to be changed?
Last i heard Nival's changes were the best in your opinion.
They won't change basic game mechanics - like how spellcasters work.
That's basic games mechanics to you?! Pls, changing the a damn penalty for dmg isn't gonna change the basic game mechanics, no more then chaging the casters mana supply anyway.

Telling ppl to just deal with something that works badly isn't the best ideea.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 19 Sep 2006, 16:40

Shuyssar wrote: The older games of the serie had horrible graphics and ugly looking creatures. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 has fresh and beautiful 3D graphics. It is even better than Warcraft 3.
HA! You are saying that HV is better then two of the greatest games in history of gaming? Ask other players what they might say. In my opinion:
a) Firstly, those games are much older, and HV is not a good looking game in comparison to other games which were released in the same time. So it's graphics could have been much, much better...I like the graphics in HV but it does not have the charm of HIII...
b) Secondary, those games have a lot more fans then HV
c) A lot of ideas are taken from those games, some even say that HV is HIII clone. For instance Nikolai resembles Lord Haart from HIII or Undead Arthas if you like from Warcraft III, even in apperance. Without HIII there wold be no HV...
d) Those games had a better support from the producers, just take a look how many balancing changes and bug-fixes were made for Warcraft III...even now they are releasing some patches which make the game better...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 19 Sep 2006, 16:44

That's your opinion. If you look at the poll a lot of people seem to think that everything is alright with them casters. So why change things?
As for Nival's changes, it's their game, they can change whatever they want. Whether you like THAT or not. It's their right and it's in their power. Basically, if enough people have other ideas they can always create a mod. But the game is Nival's game.
I'm trusting Nival's doings a lot more than the half-baked claims of people who may not even have played the game, for all I know.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Sep 2006, 16:58

Jolly Joker wrote: As for Nival's changes, it's their game, they can change whatever they want. Whether you like THAT or not. It's their right and it's in their power. Basically, if enough people have other ideas they can always create a mod. But the game is Nival's game.
Indeed so.They can even make the game into crussaders again if they want.But if they want to milk the fans money,they wont do that.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Sep 2006, 17:32

Jolly Joker wrote:That's your opinion. If you look at the poll a lot of people seem to think that everything is alright with them casters. So why change things?
It is my opinion. But what does this have to do with changing game mechanics?

And the poll is about nerfing casters, not about the screwy way spell dmg is calculated for them. Example:
Cyrox wrote: Except for the bug that they do more damage as seperate stacks than as a single stack with the same amt of troops.
Jolly Joker wrote: As for Nival's changes, it's their game, they can change whatever they want. Whether you like THAT or not. It's their right and it's in their power.
When did i say they can't? They can screw up the game anyway they want, it's just that i don't have to like it and i'm pretty sure i'm allowed to complain about it.
Jolly Joker wrote: I'm trusting Nival's doings a lot more than the half-baked claims of people who may not even have played the game, for all I know.
That's completely up to you. Though i thing that ppl should make up their own minds and not blindly trust the ppl in power. But what do i know...

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 19 Sep 2006, 18:51

So much whinning. :disagree:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”