An interesting flashback

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Does HV have that special "something" for you?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 77

Darkion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Darkion » 18 Sep 2006, 18:07

Meandor wrote:I have played all HoMM games by order. Is there anyone who found H1 "better" than H2?
I found Heroes 1 to be fun, sadly I can't play it at the moment because of some weird glitch that crashes the game anytime that combat is engaged and there are gargoyles in the battle (probably sound related).

Back on topic... All the Heroes games from way back to King's Bounty to Heroes IV had that special feeling for me even when being completely different or running from the norm (like IV). This last installment doesn't and in my opinion it has nothing to do with it being "more complex", or that the pace is different, but rather the fact that too many things have been altered in an effort to create a new product with as few ties to the NWC one as possible.

It's like meeting a friend after a long time and finding that so many things have changed that you're face to face with a total stranger. I can understand that this a new world and a new era in the series, but was burning so many bridges necessary? I can accept (reluctantly) that the old heroes won't be back, but why change so much for awkward substitutes? If you want to cast Curse you cast Weakness, if you want to cast Weakness you need Suffering. You can't summon a boat, you have to summon a Vessel of Salsa. You can't go find the Grail, but rather one of the Tears of Cha Cha.

It's like going from wearing your favorite old comfortable pair of jeans to being squished into a new pair that it's not only itchy but creep up your derriere, they sure are new and stylish but you can't help wanting to scratch like mad.

For me it's like playing a HOMM clone, it's similar, but just not the same thing.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Sep 2006, 18:12

i seem to find myself a minority saying that already h4 was a total demise(praise Morrowind for me learning this word!) of the homm idea.

but i must agree, the renamings of stuff in h5 is pointless.
Last edited by vhilhu on 18 Sep 2006, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Zombie_Inc
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Zombie_Inc » 18 Sep 2006, 18:24

Voted no. I still haven't managed to finish the campaigns, it just doen't get my attention, and god knows I can easily get drowned in a game...

I think that in general older games are much better. Think about games like Civilization, The Incredible Machine, the old Sierra quests, X-Com, StarCon, Master of Orion... I think nowadays games try so hard to LOOK real, that they don't FEEL real....
"Patching Eternal!"

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Sep 2006, 18:32

ThunderTitan wrote:
Shuyssar wrote:Yes!
It is a fantastic game and endless fun!
You missed this one DL. Go get'em.
I did not,he posted at the same time as I.But I did edit,so :tongue:
Shuyssar wrote:@ Thundertitan and Deamialucifer

You people are rude and ignorant. :disagree: I like this game whether you wan't it or not.
Again you with the rudness and ignorance.Tell me,where in my post do you see me saying anything the slightest rude or ignorant?Or in TTs post(he can have posts that arent rude,no matter how suprizing that seems)for that matter?I was just vondering who are the people that voted yes,nothing more.

Oh,and if you want us to respect your oppinion,try putting it in more then one sentence.Even JJ managed to explain,at lenght,why he thinks HV is a good game.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 18 Sep 2006, 19:08

HodgePodge wrote: The game itself is okay, but that's just it … it's okay, not special. Furthermore, I've hardly played Heroes V at all in the last three months. This has NEVER happened with any of my other Heroes games. I still thrill to play Heroes III & IV … but alas, Heroes V only collects dust. :(
True words. I had a lot of time to play the game troughout my vacation time, but I didn't. It didn't ever happen to me with HIII or HIV. I've had my playing seasons of those games, you know from time to time, but each time I've played those games much longer than I've played HV so far! I'm playing the game now, because I want to finish the campaign before Hammers of Fate will be released which I will probably buy. It's just this Heroes fanatism because of which I'll buy it...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Sep 2006, 19:27

DaemianLucifer wrote:Well,thats 3. What about the other 4?Come on people,you see that nothing happened to these three guys.Go on,voice yourselves :D
Was there anything supposed to happen to us? :S

Anyway, I just said it has drawn my attention for a while. A game doing that is SOMETHING. Not that changes the fact that I thought it boring to death, specially when trying to update files. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 18 Sep 2006, 19:39

Well, despite for not having played this game for a while (or any Heroes game for that matter), I have to vote for yes. Now that is said, contrary to the other versions of the initial game, I've enjoyed campaigns more than single scenarios of the game. It could be also because of lack of map editor initially (couldn't create my own maps to play). In earlier games I've played campaigns as follow:

Heroes 2: Finished Good and Evil campaign propably can't remember exactly, but certainly didn't do it for traitor parts as well. Maybe did one map for this, can't remember despite editor's interface propably just as awful as H5's one, but I played lot of single scenarios both in hotseat single mode.

Heroes 3 (original): Finished the campaigns until I achieved Necropolis campaign where I got bored midway.

Heroes 3 (AB): Completed propably couple campaigns including Dragonslayer one. Favourite map in initial game: Time's Up, map was maybe the most unique of H3 maps.

Heroes 3 (SoD): Maybe completed one but don't count on it. Made lots of maps for this game and Heroes 3 overall.

Heroes 4: Haven and Preserve campaigns. Didn't complete the rest because of dull scenario design and AI. Made lots of maps thought (including Trapped Inside The Beast).

Heroes 5: Completed all campaigns, and enjoyed doing so more than in any of the earlier heroes. Main reason was propably the variety in the campaigns and mission objectives. Single scenarios I haven't played much at all. I'll possibly make couple maps for this game as well (thought that would be much more likely if Nival would do something for poor performance of map editor, it's not excusable that map editor runs so laggishly).

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 18 Sep 2006, 20:45

Well, I voted no because I don't like the 3-D graphics. Yes they are pretty, but that's pretty much it. 3-D tends to give me a headache.

I don't like Campaign maps. I have tried a few of the single player maps, but they are tedious (to me) and so, yes, boring, I think.

I am looking forward to the fan maps in hopes someone can do something with the editor.

I didn't like the editor either, but I presume that is because I don't understand the way it works, in spite of the manual. lol.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 18 Sep 2006, 22:01

I voted yes. Out of the series I played Heroes 2 the most. I played a little 3, a little 4. Now I play 5 the most.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 18 Sep 2006, 23:03

I voted yes. Any of the Heroes series has a hook for me. H5 included. I like the openness, which leads to the hook - as you move around a map, more options are uncovered, more rewards are found.

When it is getting close to wrap up and go to work or bed, there are always several options open, and I always want to tidy them up. Problem is, that leads to more....They are all the same in this respect, so they all have a hook for me.

I left H4 in the early days because the AI seemed so inept. But the main tug was still there.

The first time I saw H2 on a friends computer was the push I needed to buy my first PC. It has had me hooked ever since. I was so grateful for all the fan maps of H3 so I could keep playing when H4 came out.

I like the new graphics, music, creatures, spells, and the fact that for me, the main hook - freedom of strategy and reward are still there.

I know there is room for improvement and additions - that what expansions are for.

Perhaps I am easily pleased - but I don't have many games on my HD!
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Sep 2006, 01:43

well almost a three out of four split at this stage, interesting

some good posts in there as well, but I don't quite understand Shuyassar, you seem to be going out of your way to criticise the criticisers .... which seems a little odd, but hey - whatever works for you
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 19 Sep 2006, 01:52

well, i just spent a day making my first mod for the thing, so i guess that cast my vote for me.

;)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Sep 2006, 01:54

well, that may make it a bit of a better game Sir_Toejam
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 19 Sep 2006, 01:56

I love the engine, just not the specific implementations of it Nival decided on.

I do hope more modders will attack this thing with gusto and tweak it like there's no tommorrow (cause there might not be unless some more interest gets generated).

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 19 Sep 2006, 03:40

do not agrea with the majority, this game as great potential, is more finished than HIII 6 months after release, and to those who say H II eternal ...
Well just try not to be too sentimental about things in life, nostalgie kills creativity .
H II was nice but H V as all better exception made about spirit and humour.
One last thing, please, people don t brag about how you FIRST played the HMM serie, and how you know better since your here for a longer time.
That just don t make sense... at all.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 19 Sep 2006, 03:46

I think the problem is just as you said. It has great potential. That means little if it isnt realized.

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 19 Sep 2006, 03:50

and much work for the past 6 months... more than H III... remember the 2 permanenetly banned towns ??? or the weak ( arguably with the size of the map and ressources availables ... but the size of a map should not decide which army we choose ... ) strongold / fortress, with overpowered castle ??
common this game is more balanced it has just one permanently banned town ... academy, wayy imabe in uselessness :D

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 19 Sep 2006, 04:00

No i cant remember any banned towns I sucked with all of them. I also have no idea what kind of support H3 got I didnt play it until after SoD was out. But thats off point, all I said was the potential the game has hasnt been realized. If it were more people would like it. Also there are some undeniable issues with the game, that puts people off.

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 19 Sep 2006, 04:03

yeah ... sure, but that is not the point, we are talking about this hero feeling here, HIII had issues too at the beginning , i remember quite well how it was soo slow on my PC the first time i played ... a pentium 166 mind you not even MMX... aaah old times ;)

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 19 Sep 2006, 10:22

I will explain why do I like it!

The older games of the serie had horrible graphics and ugly looking creatures. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 has fresh and beautiful 3D graphics. It is even better than Warcraft 3.
It is very simple and great fun to play. The balance is also perfect.
The only thing missing is a high number of great maps!
I cannot understand why so many people here hate this enjoyable game. If you hate it, why do you visit the forums? Stop being rude and get yourself a life!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”