An interesting flashback

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Does HV have that special "something" for you?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 77

Skilgannon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Skilgannon » 18 Sep 2006, 12:03

Heroes 2 was damn nice, but still pales to nothing in comparison with an even older game, that all the "franchise" have stolen from, Master of Magic if anyone remembers that one.

All the new strategy games have tried to copy that style and failed, we have Heroes, Disciples, Warlords & Age of wonders.

What I haven't been able to understand, is why not make a game that is so similar to it, simply because Warlords, take some of the M Of M elements, so does Homm , Disciples & Age of Wonders yet they all fail miserably at gathering the whole "sense" of that game. It's a damn shame that a game that is near 13? years old now if not more, has lots more to offer in depth than the new ones in the genre. The whole development of the Hero, Town etc, was alot more "finished" than it has felt in any of it's other wannabee's.

All those series above have small pieces of what made Master of Magic so great. But I hope some day the Devs can look back, and when they're planning a new follow up, they'll talk to the old Master Of Magic Devs and try work it together ^^

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 Sep 2006, 12:21

Bad case of warping history.
King's Bounty, the game HoMM evolved from was published in 1990.
Warlords II, for me still the best of the Warlords Series, was published in 1993.
Heroes of Might and Magic I and Master of Magic BOTH were published in 1995, with Master of Magic being the fantasy version of the eminently ground-breaking and contender for best game of all times Master of Orion I. Master of Magic had its flaws and bugs, but was of course a superior game - as well as HoMM I. Homm II was published not much later end of 95 or beginning of 96, I'm not sure, basically because II was basically finished when I was published.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 18 Sep 2006, 13:37

I voted no. I can't pinpoint what it is about H-V that seems to lack that magnet of pulling or keeping my interest. One aspect I loathe tho, is the camera, underground darkness. The story lines for sure don't keep my interest and some bugs continue to drive me crazy. But I still hold hope this version will improve. I really hate H-V's editor and I for sure hope they improve it. I own all the versions of homm and have played them all but as far as my favorite Heroes version in the series, I am still partial to H-4 (game & editor versions). I have no problem replaying a H-4 map over but I have no desire to replay any H-5 maps over.
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 18 Sep 2006, 13:53

Voted yes. I was... disappointed, to say the least, by the storyline, but now that I'm making my own maps ^^ I can feel the old magic operating and... it feels good ^^

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 18 Sep 2006, 14:54

I have played all HoMM games by order. Is there anyone who found H1 "better" than H2?

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Sep 2006, 15:09

h4 and h5 both look too... i dont know what.

im talking about adventure map right now, most things in the game happen there so it decides the whole game. h2-3 (kb was just ugly and h1 i havent played) had that nice look that resembles some old maps, you know with the funny sea monsters and other stuff. h4 "im sitting on a cloud" look was more realistic, but h3 was just more stylish. and nostalgic and ancient-feeling. h5 3d fully rotatable of course cannot in any way be styly like h3, and as homm isnt going back to 2d, it will never again have that old feel :( .

Lady Farquad
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Lady Farquad » 18 Sep 2006, 15:14

Voted no, of course.
After two weeks I was back on H3. I do like the graphics, (3D, spells, etc), but it definitely lacks the addicting factor.
Morior, ergo sum

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Sep 2006, 15:17

forgot to say...

voted NO too.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 18 Sep 2006, 15:37

The simplier the game, the more fun it is to play. I think nobody doubts this fact.

Yes, 3D killed the simplicity of Heroes. Maybe it's because I didn't play H5 too much, but I still find the game slow and hard to figure, especially because of the graphics, and those system slowdowns.

And those campaigns... sure the core of the story is easy to figure (not a complicated one though), but everything is told in a chaotic way, and many things are left unexplained, or you simply must figure them yourself...

Of course the worst are those bugs. HIII from the begining was almost bug free. But I think the bigest problem is the way the bugs are fixed. New patches are released while introducing more bugs. Even the simpliest bugs are left unfixed, altough it would take a couple of minutes to fix them. They might be hard to spot, but heck, there are fan-made professional bug-listings, and still no response! The gamers support is awsome, the support from the producers suck!

Those things, and couple of others, make this game, altough it's all-in-all quite a good game, a product that lost the Heroes series charm in the process.

Voted No...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 18 Sep 2006, 16:03

oh stop being awkward, it either has that special something for you or it doesnt, just vote.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Sep 2006, 16:16

isnt that the whole point of forums? just voting and being shut up? :mad:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Sep 2006, 16:30

Vote yes. As long as I play it, there's something dragging my attention, no matter what. After all, beside my curiosity (and the bugs, etc, etc, etc), I liked it for a 1-2 time play fun.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 18 Sep 2006, 16:35

dragonn wrote:Of course the worst are those bugs. HIII from the begining was almost bug free.
:lolu: H3 had it's share of bugs, ranging from the fact that Forgetufullness operated at full power at advanced water magic to the fact that AI heroes would sometimes get insane armies out of nowhere. And not all of them was fixed by NWC either.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Sep 2006, 16:37

Gaidal Cain wrote: And not all of them was fixed by NWC either.
WERE.

And that fact that most ppl didn't really notice them is interesting.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 18 Sep 2006, 17:37

Yes!
It is a fantastic game and endless fun!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 18 Sep 2006, 17:46

Voted: NO! Heroes V is an all right game, but it doesn't hold that magical "something" like ALL of the previous Heroes games do (including Heroes IV).

Maybe it's the 3D engine, maybe it's the horrible "voice acting" in the cut-scenes which spoils the mood, maybe it's just that I don't get any kind of warm, friendly feelings from either the publisher (UbiSoft) or the developer (Nival). Unlike all the previous Heroes games (and the Might & Magic series too) New World Computing, and to some extent, even 3do connected with the fan base. My feelings are that Nival goes out of their way to annoy us gamers.

The game itself is okay, but that's just it … it's okay, not special. Furthermore, I've hardly played Heroes V at all in the last three months. This has NEVER happened with any of my other Heroes games. I still thrill to play Heroes III & IV … but alas, Heroes V only collects dust. :(
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Sep 2006, 17:50

Marzhin wrote:Voted yes. I was... disappointed, to say the least, by the storyline, but now that I'm making my own maps ^^ I can feel the old magic operating and... it feels good ^^
Panda Tar wrote:Vote yes. As long as I play it, there's something dragging my attention, no matter what. After all, beside my curiosity (and the bugs, etc, etc, etc), I liked it for a 1-2 time play fun.
Shuyssar wrote:Yes!
Well,thats 3.What about the other 4?Come on people,you see that nothing happened to these three guys.Go on,voice yourselves :D
Paradox wrote:oh stop being awkward, it either has that special something for you or it doesnt, just vote.
Stop telling everyone what to do :devious: Many people hate those one liners(I vote this period),especially the mods.The forum is the place where you voice your oppinions,not just shout yes and no.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Sep 2006, 17:57

those 5 extra yesses must be from nival spies 8|
Last edited by vhilhu on 18 Sep 2006, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Sep 2006, 17:57

Shuyssar wrote:Yes!
You missed this one DL. Go get'em.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Shuyssar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shuyssar » 18 Sep 2006, 18:05

@ Thundertitan and Deamialucifer

You people are rude and ignorant. :disagree: I like this game whether you wan't it or not.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”