Seriousllly need help from a tech wiz.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
-BiS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby -BiS » 15 Sep 2006, 22:05

@cornellian, thanks for the advice. I'll try to give you as much as possible here:

error signature:

AppName: h5_game.exe
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2945
AppVer: 1.3.0.34
ModName: kernel32.dll

If i'm interpreting your info correctly kernel32.dll is causing the problem, right?

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 15 Sep 2006, 22:13

Yes you are; but you are unlucky, as, of all the files, if it is kernel32.dll, then there is usually very very little that can be done; for kernel is one of the most vital .dlls of a computer handling the memory management along with many other things; and it certainly isn't something to mess up with..

Hmm, let me think on this for a while..

-BiS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby -BiS » 15 Sep 2006, 22:20

I didn't realise it was that serious. Now that you clarified a few things for me i seem to remember reading a post on the official forums where somebody wrote that they solved their problem by geting a new kernel from ubi, is it safe to replace my kernel with that one (if i can still find it)?

Anyway thanks as this is the most helpful advice i've had so far. If you come up with something please post it, i will give it a try and report the results.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 15 Sep 2006, 22:23

All right, while Kernel conflicts are very rarely solved without blood so to speak, there are couple less painful things that might have caused your kernel to crash...
Check for these:
- low available disk space : you usually need at least couple GBs for windows alone..
- TEMP folder: if it is deleted then your computer won't know where to store temp data, and kernel will go down.
- if you have JVM, java virtual machine, check its status, it may be damaged and you might need to reinstall it.
- Of course it may be a registry file or kernel version error, which aren't easily solved..
- It might be a virus, make an online scan, I recommend panda or trend micro's online scans. Just google "free online virus scan" and you should see both..
- If you are overclocking too much or your graphic acceleration is set too high
- This is hardware but it may actually even be your memory modules, you can check them... how I can't remember now, I will add it when I do..

If you have one or more from above, you might want to address them first anyway, as they won't stop crashing your computer just in Heroes..

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 15 Sep 2006, 22:28

-BiS wrote:I didn't realise it was that serious. Now that you clarified a few things for me i seem to remember reading a post on the official forums where somebody wrote that they solved their problem by geting a new kernel from ubi, is it safe to replace my kernel with that one (if i can still find it)?

Anyway thanks as this is the most helpful advice i've had so far. If you come up with something please post it, i will give it a try and report the results.
Well if there is a Kernel that Ubisoft approves in their web site, I would give it a try; but to be honest, not without taking a backup of my Kernel in case something goes wrong. Try to find that thread where Ubisoft guys explain how to proceed with the file, and if you have a printer you might want to print in case you forget it, for it is likely that you will not be able to access internet throughout the process of replacing the kernel32.dll.. So ubi's kernel is probably your best bet, but read the instructions well before you do anything.. Sure thing, and good luck..

-BiS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby -BiS » 16 Sep 2006, 03:50

Just to udate you all, the problem is solved. All it took was reinstalling windows.
Big thanks to everyone that replied and tried to help, it's appreciated.

Special thanks to cornellian.

The whole experience has tought me one thing: you can't count on ubi for support.

-BiS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby -BiS » 16 Sep 2006, 17:25

New development:

After reinstalling windows everything went great as far as the game goes, but as soon as i installed kaspersky, the problem manifested again. So there you have it heroes V doesn't start if you have kaspersky 6 installed. No kaspersky (uninstall, it doesn't work if you just switch it off), and the game runs again. It makes sense now, because i had different anti-virus protection on my old rig, and the game worked fine.
Damn, what do i do for protection now?!

I'm curious, does anybody else have kaspersky 6 and can still play the game?

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 16 Sep 2006, 22:42

Whoa, you reinstalled windows? That surely was one of the bloodier solutions I was talking about...

Anyway, to answer your question, I have actually been running Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 in this computer for a long time and I had no problem with Heroes V whatsoever; which makes me believe that it is not really something between Kaspersky and Heroes, but a deeper problem surfacing.. A mess in kernel libraries still would make sense, as Kaspersky is memory resident if you turn auto protection on, and you wouldn't want to turn it off of course..

I would think of finding that kernel in ubi's site and give it a try; it seems you don't have a lot in your windows now, so it wouldn't be a lot of trouble for you to reinstall it again if something goes wrong..

-BiS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby -BiS » 16 Sep 2006, 23:33

cornellian wrote:Whoa, you reinstalled windows? That surely was one of the bloodier solutions I was talking about...
It was a fresh install and didn't have much on it anyway.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”